Let's talk about the pots you put your transplants in

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

It always seemed to me that the 3.5" pot was ideal for transplanting my seedlings. This is the only size that I have used since beginning seed starting a few years ago. Well, as usual, I began to run low on pots as I got to the end of my seedlings.

Although I bought 200 pots last year, and do reuse them, I also start over 500 plants. I end up giving away alot of plants which mean that I lose alot of pots. You can't give someone a few plants as a gift and then ask for the pots back - at least I haven't been able to find a nice way to do this.

As I am scraping the bottom of the barrel for pots, I decided to try some 2" pots that I received last year with some seedlings (I save everything). It struck me that this is actually a really good size for the last seedling that I have in flats. These seedlings are smaller than the others so they fit well in these smaller pots. I'm now considering getting some 2" pots. I only use square pots because they fit better on the flats.

Which brings me to my question: What size pots do you put your transplants in?

This message was edited Apr 20, 2008 3:29 PM

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Penne,

Bluestone Perennials uses 2" x 4" pots and I've always through they are perfect. I need something bigger than the sheets/cell packs from the traditional 48 cell flats, but the 3" x 4" square pots I'm using this year (free) are a lttle too big. I want things I can easily plant with a trowel, and I guess my trowel is 2" wide :))

4" is my minimum on the height. I think the roots tend to get too much water in a shorter pot. It probably has something to do with the water table conversation tapla has in the container gardening forum.

I also should state that my preference is really round pots, but I can't afford the wasted space under lights. :(

Suzy

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I like 3" or 4" square pots (depending on the growth rate) when I pot up mainly to save space like Suzy. I can fit more square ones into a tray than round. Note: I start everything in 2" peat pots so alot just goes into the ground/containers without potting up.

somewhere, PA

I have a huge collection of pots - I like 2.5" x 4" tall pots. I can fit more plants in them
and like Suzy I find the taller ones are better for the root system. But generally any pot
that's 2-4" is good 'til they get too big and then they go into a bigger pot. When I first
went crazy with seed starting, I got pots from all my friends and family. Now I don't need any
new ones. I soak all pots in clorox soapy water before reusing and never have any
trouble with diseases.

Tam

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Pennafeather,Nothing wrong with asking for the pots to be returned. I give away seedlings and rooted cuttings to co-workers and tell them if they would like more next time to please return the pots as I am running low.
Besides you will keep them out of the landfill by getting them back.

somewhere, PA

I actually meant to say the same thing. If its a very casual acquaintance I won't say anything
but most friends know I want the pots back. I tell them not to bother washing them as I'll be
soaking them anyway.

Laie, HI

If you are cheap like me, you can recycle styrofoam coffee cups....they make good seedling starters....just stab a few holes in the bottom and use some sort of sided tray or crate to keep them standing up. Always plenty at the office. I have honestly never worried about washing and soaking reused pots. Never seems to be a problem in a small garden nursery. Can understand the need for it in a huge nursery business.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I reuse everything, but I don't want anyone to worry about giving the pots back. This year I'll be bringing a few flats to my two kids schools for them to plant, as well as sharing with some of my neighbors. Everytime that I start to cull the seedlings, I always think to myself that there is someone who would really appreciate getting these plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.