Gourds xx's 2008

Mesilla Park, NM

Fujishibori x kikyo Ten Ten (both speckled)

I don't know if this opened and I didn't see it today or if it is in the process of opening.. it almost looks like it opened and is closing.. I sure would have liked to have seen this open. Maybe in the morning I can tell.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

photo 2 same cross, variegated leaves and sepals.

Thumbnail by Gourd
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

A - AWESOME blooms you are getting from your MG crosses! I hope you are able to get a photo of the open bloom from the Fujishibori x kikyo Ten Ten. Looks most interesting! :-) I love the color of your Youjiro Chacha Maru x KikyoTen Ten! Another wonderful cross!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

A, I love the ChaCha x 10-10 cross. Beautiful red.
Can't wait to see the Fujishibori x 10-10 blooms.

Mesilla Park, NM

Well, it was closing, I missed it!!! sorry about that, but, there are more buds only they are small, so we will have to wait some more. Got up this morning and went straight to this plant. Those sepals do not say I. nil to me. Even though Fujishibori is listed as I. nil in the plantdatabase and is the parent plant. What do you all think? All the platycodon's in there are also listed as nils.

That's an interesting thought about the Fujishibori possibly being a platycodon. Is there some way that you can do a search of that cultivar to find out? I did an internet search and it came up with very little, but maybe I am not looking in the correct place for it. Is it possibly under a different name or spelling?

Mesilla Park, NM

no, I don't think Fujishibori is a platycodon. It is listed as well as the others (both are listed as I. nil) maybe the sepals will look different when they dry.. and they are indeed I. nils. I guess I've got to go over the sepals in Dr. Yoneda's site again.

good news, there is a bud that will be one opening tomorrow. I have that ONE plant inside for a couple of days to ensure I get only a selfed pod.

A.

Mesilla Park, NM

Here is Chacha Maru x 1010 again, there is only one plant in this pot (the pod only had one seed), so, I don't know how there can be such color differences, there is one flower that is red. You could actually see the difference, not just in the photo but in person. You can see the leaves on it, not typical leaves for Chacha Maru.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Wow, that is neat. Is the red flower blooming at the same time as the others or has it undergone a color change from being open longer? I`m curious. Karen

Beautiful blooms, Antoinette! Love that red color! Interesting results you are getting from the cross! Keep those photos coming! I love seeing your blooms from all your crosses!

Mesilla Park, NM

Yes, there is such a variety, sometimes I think the pollen did not take, then something is just a little bit different, but then I am not so sure either..

These were all open at the same time, same day, and the photo was taken in the AM.. I've got some more to up load, but we just got back from our trip and I have 2 million things to do. Tomorrow will be a busy day also, so I don't know when I'll put them in here.. some of the flowers are beginning to look alike to me even though they are completely different crosses. I know I didn't mix any seeds up.

The Rosita x Fuji Shibori has a couple in there that look like a red youjiro, and then it has on an other vine where all the flowers look like the first one in the very first photo I posted above. So, it is possible that pollen did not get into all the ovaries? Did i say that right? And only into some, which resulted in different color flowers from the seeds in the same pod?

Mesilla Park, NM

here is a photo of two flowers in the same pot, I've got to double check, but I believe there are three vines in this pot.

Youjio Rosita x Fuji Shibori is the bottom flower

The top left flower looks just like a red youjiro rosita, so the pollen did not take on that one most probably.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Here is the Youjiro rosita X fujishibori this morning, it looks like this particular vine may have some kind of consistency for this year anyway, who know what it will produce next generation.

Thumbnail by Gourd

NICE! All of them! As the vine ages, the blooms may change. I see that on my cross every day now. Some really, really unusual blooms! I need to start taking more photos of the unusual ones. Don't give up on them ... a change can still happen!

It is possible for some of the pod parent`s pollen to self the pod along with the pollen brought to it for a cross. A pod can have seeds fertilized by different parents much like a litter of puppies or kittens can have multiple fathers. It is good to follow a very strict proceedure to depollinate the pod parent and cover the pollen parent the evening before. Also, make sure there is no pollen already releasing when you depollinate. Try beginning earlier if you have a problem with that.

A pink or dark pink ipomoea nil flower put with a purple flower will have purple offspring..unless the purple flower had genetic potential to throw pink or dark pink. The shade of color varies according to genes.

Karen

Mesilla Park, NM

Thanks guys.. finally got a pic of this one this morning, and it was a little dusty...

You can see where it got some of the leaves from 1010 and it is a small flower, not big like fujishibori..

Fuji Shibori x 1010

I'll get better photos next time.. here are three of them and I mainly focused on the shape of the leaves as well as the flower.. the leaves are small too, like the ten ten leaves. There are three vines in this pot and all of them have the same type of flower, small, tight base, and one vine has some variegation in the leaves and the other two may have a little, one looks like it has green leaves. All are very small vines, (short about 3 ft) not vigorous, not yet anyway.. maybe later, I have not fed this at all.. will start the fertilizing this week.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

you can see the shape of the leaf here in photo 2 (those spots are dust and water)

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

here you can see more of the leaves in photo 3, I took more photos, but they all look the same to me. So, I'll wait to update when these are blooming more.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

A,

Fascinating specimens! I don't know anything about morning glories, but if I saw spots like that on my zinnia leaves, I would be inspecting the bottoms and tops of those leaves with a strong magnifying glass looking for something like Thrips. Thrips taught me a lesson last January and February. Thrips aren't a problem for me outdoors, but under indoors conditions they can be catastrophic.

MM

A - Oh those look wonderful! Honestly! You got a cool cross there!

MM - Those truly are spots from the cultivar, not thrips or anthing else causing them! :-) Really awesome looking, isn't it?!!!

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Becky,

I will definitely take your word that the spots aren't caused by thrips. I'm really out of my element with morning glories. It's amazing what morning glories can do. I've been hoping that interspecies crosses would bring in the yellow and orange colors and all of the various blends that they could make the the existing morning glory colorations. I wasn't aware until recently that there are yellow morning glory species.

MM

Mesilla Park, NM

Thanks guys... yeah, sometimes they look sickly.. so I go checkout each leaf, etc. This one had been inside for a couple of weeks, but went outside yesterday.. I was afraid that my dogs would kill it with their tails. I'll go make my rounds when the winds die down some today.

Last year I had a little black worm that was sandwiched inbetween the leaves and I'm not even sure what that was. It was weird, don't have it now, but I think that when the intense dry heat hits here, that is when some problems arise. This year I did not even have a single mite problem with any indoor plants, sometimes they get to my caudiform plants, but this year Nada, I don't know if it was the messenger spray or not.. No bugs at all, I didn't have to use any sticky traps at all. But, I got wilt from some cheap bad potting soil after I potted up.. so I lot quite a few plants.

Hi Gourd,

Now that is really nifty to see results from Ten Ten x Fujishibori. :) I like it.

Gourd, I love the flower, like a mini Fuji shibori

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Great pictures Antoinette. I love that last one.

Mesilla Park, NM

Thank you.. It has been blooming but the winds here are preventing me from taking good photos... then sometimes the darn satellite dish reception is hindered with the blowing dust, so I get signed off the computer at times.

my granddaughter says that the word "nifty" is coming back..lol

Mesilla Park, NM

She sure can make us feel "Young"..lol. she's 11, and she also said that I better stop eating those wieners because they have 12 grams of fat per link! She gave me the correct brand to buy..

I promise to take photos next week, these winds should stop by tomorrow.

LOL! about the 10 grams of fat in the wieners! Maybe she will be a nurse or doctor when she grows up. :-) Your cross is really a nice one. The Ten Ten seeds you shared with me are finally blooming, too. Very small vine ... for now. The blooms have been coming out like they are burned or something. I take the photos very early in the morning, so I am not sure why they look like this. All the other blooming vines around them look perfect. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Becky, I suspect moisture or humidity plays a role in that appearance. Cool nights and rain make them look awful. Dry warm weather makes the Kikyo Ten Ten look real nice here in my garden. The consolation is the foliage is pretty.

A. Yeah, with all these new JMGs being created the word nifty(and I will add far out and groovy) will make a come back. It is really going to be happening. You just have to hang loose waiting on those pods to mature. It is really going to be outta sight.

I`m looking forward to more pictures.

Peace Out. :)

Karen

This message was edited Jun 6, 2008 7:38 AM

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

We don't have dust, but do have high winds and lots of mud. My MG's are through the ground now. Can't wait for them to start vining.

Mesilla Park, NM

Shirley, that's great.. you will love these smaller varieties, they don't like the sun though..

Karen, Groovy fits right in..lol. my saying "That's neat"..lol you need to post your photos in the hybridizer's forum also, so others can see your beauties!!

Becky, they will only get better, keep them very hydrated.. also, shaded, they also don't like sun, I have mine under a tarp.. my tent is destroyed.

Here is one that the photo does not do it justice...

Rose Silk x Fuji Shibori

looks like a Rose blizzard... hopefully it will bloom a lot more, I've been neglecting my duties taking photos.. so much to do and so little time..

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Maineman,

Are these things here thrips, I found these this week.. does anyone know what the heck they are, I also had some last year, the worm is inbetween the skin of the leaves.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

here is a closeup of the worm! The winds are so bad here that when they are over, the plants, trees and even inside my house is full of dust, I have to wash off all the leaves off all the plants outside.. some look like they have webs all over from the dust, they remind me of the Ghost House at disney land, where all the webs are hanging and looks like they've been there for 100 years. It definitely keeps me busy outside.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Hi Gourd,

I haven`t seen any critter like that. I have trouble with aphids,tiny mites and white flies.

I slept late this morning so I missed some blooms. I did manage to check on the tied blooms though.

Karen

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Gourd,

I can definitely tell you that those amazing little worms are not thrips. Thrips are smaller than aphids and the first instar of thrips are nearly invisible to the naked eye. In fact, under most circumstances, they are invisible. I have seen those worms many years ago, probably on our morning glories. They are probably in the Lepidoptera order, of moths and butterflies, and most larvae of that order are susceptible to Bacillus thuringiensis based biological controls. But being encased as those little worms are, they might be difficult to reach with ordinary sprays.

If you don't have a lot of them, my first line of attack would be to give them a good pinch. That might be a bit messy, but it should teach them a well deserved lesson.

If they are becoming epidemic and difficult to control, I would consider a systemic insecticide containing imidacloprid (which is what I am using against thrips in my indoor zinnias.) You apply the systemic in a properly diluted soil drench, the plant roots take it up and it enters the sap stream of the plant, affecting both sucking and chewing insects that might attack your plants. If you need more information about imidacloprid, just ask. It is not for use on food plants, but it is otherwise relatively safe. I understand it is even the active ingredient in some dog flea collars.

MM

(edit)P.S. I believe the culprit is the Morning Glory Leaf Miner: Bedellia somnulentella. It is mentioned in the Wikipedia article on Ipomea Gardening http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Transwiki:Ipomoea

This message was edited Jun 7, 2008 3:38 PM

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Hello again Gourd,

I notice that this article

http://ct.gov/CAES/cwp/view.asp?a=2823&q=377822

mentions the use of either Imidacloprid or Acephate for controlling the Morning Glory Leaf Miner. I don't use Acephate indoors because it is a spray and I don't want to use any sprays indoors. And, besides, Acephate stinks to high heaven.

MM

Gourd - Yes, it definitely looks like Leaf Miners. I get them here, too. I have not had a infestation of them, so I haven't done anything. But a pesticide would most certainly rid them for you.

Your Rose Silk x Fuji Shibori is gorgeous! I love the color and the pattern on that one! That is really a nice cross. I think you may have sent me some seeds, which I will be growing out next. You really created some absolutely lovely crosses, A!

I have something (probably the fruit rats) chewing up my vines along the privacy fence. They were even in short containers with chicken wire across the tops of the containers. It's so frustrating when you have a garden pest destroying your beloved plants. Argh ...

A, I had leaf miners in 06, did a lot of damage. I escaped them last yr for
some reason.
Love your Rose Blizzard

Ditto on the Rose blizzard...as I wait for you to post more pictures.

I did as you asked and put one of my experiments up here. I`m learning as I go like everyone else here. Karen

Mesilla Park, NM

Thank you Maineman, I took some of the leaves off today .. and will keep my eye on them, there aren't too many of them, so I'm going to hope it stays that way...

Patootie, how did you get rid of yours?

Karen, I'll go check your post out.. thank you for posting your photos, you've got some great looking crosses!

A.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.