Gourds xx's 2008

Mesilla Park, NM

This year all of my photos will be put into this thread so that I can keep track of them. It is too difficult to find them later.

This is really my very first bloom on one of my very first attempts at crossing Morning Glories. I really did not think any of the crosses I did took, but here is the first one from these plants.

The spokes did not take, but came out like a picotee edge, from the Red Youjiro (aka Rosita), and they all have the Youjiro leaves solid green, no variegation (not yet) maybe it will show up later..

Although I thought when looking at this flower that it looked like a water color, in the photo you can see the spots are there from the Fuji Shibori, but very subtle, it looks splotched almost like when you get the measles and the color is darker than what the photo shows, it picked up the color maroon off the Fuji Shibori.

I'm going to take more photos, this is one of two flowers that opened this morning from the same cross but on separate plants. But was just too excited and have to recharge batteries.

IF I HAVE SENT YOU SEEDS, please, do whatever you wish with them.. you don't have to send me any seeds back, you can trade them, take them and plant them at ditches for all I care.. but, just enjoy them and have fun. If you feel like posting photos, do that too, only if you want to. (I just wanted to make that clear so no-one will feel like they have take special care)

This message was edited Apr 20, 2008 10:08 AM

Thumbnail by Gourd
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Very nice, A!!!! Congrats on your first successful cross. I look forward to seeing more!

I will also post my crossed seeds from you in this link when they start blooming! Very exciting isn't it? :-)

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh Thank you Becky for the compliments..yes it is so exciting. The seeds from these should be something also, I can hardly wait till they bloom again.. the second flower on the other plant looks like a small Kawaii shape.

I edited my post to reflect that it was Red Youjiro (AKA Rosita x Fuji Shibori cross).. and to say the whom ever I sent seeds to, they are yours to do what ever you wish, trade them, grow them, just have fun.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2008 10:09 AM

Mesilla Park, NM

Here are the two flowers together, they are still in the styrofoam cups and will get transplanted this week and will be outside.

Same Cross

Thumbnail by Gourd
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

I love the last pic A. You can see the nice star pattern. Recognize those
leaves from growing Rosita last yr. I hope to start the seeds you kindly shared with me of more of your crosses. Can't wait to see what I get. Should be an
interesting summer and lots of fun.

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

You can see here the purple was dominant over the pink. Also it is possible the youjiro you used had only one gene for the spokes and you got a solid.

Awesome foilage!!!! I love it and look forward to watching as more of your flowers bloom to reveal more cool and interesting forms.

Karen

WOW! Very nice blooms, Antoinette! It's such fun doing the crosses and waiting and watching to see what each vine produces!! :-)

I was outside today and my Lady Laura X Yagumura Blizzard vine had 6 blooms on it. So far, the blooms still have that light blue color in the blooms! Crazy cross, but it sure turned out pretty!

I can't wait to see more of your cross blooms! It's going to be a knock-out year for MGs, I do believe!!! :-)

Mesilla Park, NM

Thanks, it's too early to tell, but I think one of the leaves is showing some variegation.. or either it has some faded spots.. We'll see when they continue to grow. I sure did not expect anything. Well, I can hardly wait to see all of your guy's flowers also.

edited for spelling!

This message was edited Apr 20, 2008 3:29 PM

Mesilla Park, NM

Photo of flower from seedling 3 same cross. Has a little bit less white on the tips. Also, the flowers were still not completely open, it had wrinkles on it still, so I've taken more photos to see if they smooth out.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

photo 2, seedling 3

Thumbnail by Gourd

Now,I bet you cannot wait for F2. I remember Arlan told me you have to gather as many selfed seeds off the plant as possible and plant them all in a large grow out. I`d recommend at least 30 or more plants. You might see plenty looking like the F1, some with variegation,some that are pink and maybe a few speckled will surprise you...

Karen

Mesilla Park, NM

It will be something trying to grow that many... you know I've missed a couple of blooms on other crosses. Darn it... but, there are some that will hopefully open tomorrow. You are right about the pollen not there on the very first blooms, I think only two had pollen yesterday.

Today I potted up 100 pots with MGs and did not finish.. but my back and neck couldn't take it anymore.. so, I went shopping..lol (bought more potting soil) and lots of perrenials that were on sale...

So the seeds have to be selfed? Can I help by hand pollenating? I have the strangest crosses. I think I crossed everything that bloomed here last year with one or another, so this year will be very interesting for me.. and for everyone else that is growing their own crosses..

That`s too funny. You give your back and neck a break by going to get more gardening stuff. :)

Well whether you backcross by pollinating with one of the original parents in the cross or you do a selfed growout depends on many factors and what your goals happen to be. You do a large grow out of selfed seeds if you want to maintain as many characteristics of both parents and find a different combination of traits. That is why you grow a lot. More numbers increases the odds of a particular combination of genes occuring.

If you want the ray white you will need to do another cross with a ray white but if you backcross your F1 with youjiro you might loose some desirable recessives you want to go along with the ray white. So it would benefit you to do a number of crosses with the fuji shibori and youjiro and grow those until you find a F1 cross that also has the ray white..or try and see. Then you could self those and grow them out. If you backcrossed your F1 with the Fuji Shibori you might find out something about how these genes work by growing out a number of those too.

Good look with the planting! Karen

Mesilla Park, NM

Yes, I'm must out of my mind.. every bone and muscle in my body hurts and some I didn't know I had..lol Well, I couldn't pass up on the perrenials, I have at least a dozen 20 gallon pots around the yard that are empty and need bulbs or plants (something in them) before DH asks what did you buy those for? I still need to pot up some more mgs too, so the potting soil was a necessary evil.. I had two blooms this morning but one was so torn, that I didn't bother to take a photo and the other was dried up. I had two candles in the tent last night to keep everybody warm since it was their first transplant... maybe that is what dried one of them (got that idea from DH's Army days), he said they used candles to stay warm inside the tents, so I figured "Why Not"!

Mesilla Park, NM

There were two more open this morning that I didn't catch.

This is Blue Platycodon x Platycodon speckled white aka Ten Ten

although it looks blue in the photo it is a rich purple with ruffled edges and has a partial white tube, it also has the specks of Ten Ten on the stems, so who knows what will appear next. The only white basically is around the edges and it is a very very thin line. This flower is a little bigger than the normal Playtcodons. Took a photo of the whole plant to show how small it really is and there are two seedlings in this pot, the other bloomed and I missed the show.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Side view photo of Blue Platycodon X Platycodon speckled white aka Ten Ten

Thumbnail by Gourd

Did your platycodon blue have a magenta or white in the throat like that? I think you got something to work with there. Very pretty. :)

You are way ahead of me too. I`m going to try some speckled crosses but last years pods didn`t take. Sooo, I`m going to be busy as a bee trying to get more going.

Karen

Mesilla Park, NM

This particular one had a magenta throat. Also, I found two more flowers, a pink platycodon from patootie and Dracula opened today also, they were very small flowers. Dracula was crossed with Ten Ten also, but to me it looks the same as last year.. I'll take a photo in a bit, I've been trying to get everything staked as the winds are supposed to pick up this afternoon.

Mesilla Park, NM

Here is Lt Blue platycodon Dracula x White speckled platycodonTen Ten

don't know if the leaves split because of weather or what.. it seems to have pollen though.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Is that white on the very tips of Dracula 2`s petals or my imagination?

Mesilla Park, NM

I don't know, to me they almost look like tiny pink tips..lol I'll go check it before it closes.

Mesilla Park, NM

Well, I had a couple bloom today and they looked frosted.. but the winds here are a little strong, so I'll take photos on the next blooms.

Mesilla Park, NM

This one looks like it took some of the Platycodon shape, also lost it's spokes, but the color of Fuji no sora remains a soft blue. This is the first bloom on this cross.

Fuji no Sora x White Speckled Platycodon Ten Ten

Thumbnail by Gourd

Oh! A nice one, A! I am interested to see what future blooms will look like on that vine! Very pretty how this bloom turned out! I shall be watching with anticipation! :-)

Mesilla Park, NM

Thank you... I'm very excited too, last night was a little too cold and I forgot to light the candles..lol so, some looked a little wilted.

Here is a view of one side of the tent... all the sides are full and some are outside too. Can you see the blocks set up, then lumber? one higher than the other.. Most of them are crosses..

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

This one came out kinda weird... and I dont' know why the color came out red. Chacha Maru is peach/brownish and the other is a white speckled Platycodon shaped flower..

Chacha Maru X White Speckled Ten Ten

Very interesting that it got a picotee edge and kept a couple of the white spokes. I am really going to keep my eye on this one. I think I only got one seed in this pod too.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Although I haven't yet tried any hybridizing, I really enjoy seeing what others are doing.

Gourd, your MG crosses are just wonderful! Keep posting pics, please.

Karen

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh thank you very much. I'm so glad they made this forum too. I'm just learning too.

Hi gourd, Chocolate is a recessive and the plant needs a pair of the genes to be expressed so your flower is pink like the Ten Ten. The spokes are dominant so you have one gene expressing here a dominant. Some of the selfed F2 seeds will and will not have this trait. Your speckles are another recessive controlled (I think) and or modifed by several or more different genes. Those may be found in smaller numbers in the F2. Wouldn`t it be neat to find a speckled,white spoked chocolate? you would need to grow a lot of selfed F2 seeds to increase your chances of finding the more rare recessive genes in combination.

Karen

This message was edited Apr 30, 2008 5:44 PM

Mesilla Park, NM

Karen, thanks..

I wonder where the picotee edge came from?

Mesilla Park, NM

I forgot to mention that the leaves on this are big, almost as big as my hand.. which is strange too, since both of the crosses have small leaves.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/166813/

The chachamaru has white all around the edge so there is possibility it has genes for white margin and for ray white. Are you speaking of white picotee or white margin around the edge?

The Chachamaru and some of the youjiros too sometimes bloom a flower that looks somewhat like a kikyo though not sharply defined but it seems unstable and doesn`t always keep repeating for some reason. I see one of Beth`s flowers doing that in the plant files. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/147542/

Karen

This message was edited Apr 30, 2008 5:57 PM

You did a good job and they are very pretty too. Also, I think you are a genius the way you chose parents with lots of potential!

Karen

Mesilla Park, NM

wow, I had forgotten about it having a picotee edge (margined edge), This will be a red chacha.. it will surely be interesting to see the next flowers.

(I`m out of edits) If you see something unaccounted for like big leaves maybe these little flowers had it in them for big plans. :)

What did you do feed them steroids? lol! Karen

Mesilla Park, NM

I guess we cross posted.. NO GENIUS here.. just a curious mind.. be sure to post yours also, I'm sure there are a lot of new ones that you'll be having come out.

I've got some chocolate crosses too, so I'm waiting for them to bloom, and have another envelope with nothing but crosses to plant too. I am behind.

Well, that`s just me. It was a sincere compliment. I`ll be keeping up with your thread here. I`m Really behind because I need to do some F1 crosses and have them take to begin with for some of my future projects. In hybridizing you are never behind it is just that your work is never done. lol! That is gardening!!!

TTYL,Karen

Mesilla Park, NM

Thanks Karen for the compliment,
Here is another one, and I don't know if this was the same vine or not, I've got to get out there again and make sure... this one of the Rosita Youjiro x Fujishibori crosses. Not much white, but it was a really rich royal purple color with some red.. Don't know if the weather had anything to do with the red on it, but it looked really pretty.. although, it really isn't too significant.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Here is the next flower on Youjiro Chacha Maru x KikyoTen Ten, I'm beginning to like it some. It's got some real pretty red color in it in various sections.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Same flower, different view.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.