which side goes UP?

Hopkins, MN(Zone 4a)

I am new to starting seeds by soaking, - I used to just put them into the soil starting mix. So, this morning I had my morning glories start hatching in the water/peroxide solution, and I was going to put them into my Park Seed seed starting domes, but I suddenly realized that I don't know if the white thing showing through the seed coat is the root or the top of the plant, so I don't know which side should face up and shich down, LOL, - please help WHAT COMES FIRST, - the ROOT or the STEM?!! Thanks to anybody who can share their expertise!
Liz

Murphy, TX(Zone 8a)

It's probably a root, but you can always put the seed sideways if you're not sure. Happens all the time in nature, and the seedlings pretty quickly figure out which way is up and which is down.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Don't worry about! Just stick them in, mother nature will take care of everything!

Johns Island, SC

The white thing is the root, lizzardance, but I agree with everyone else---it really doesn't matter at this early stage. Mother Nature whispers to them no matter how you first orient them in the pot. Dig one out a few days later, and the root is always headed down (I've done it just out of curiousity), and the cotyledon is always headed up!

Southlake, TX(Zone 8a)

We can call it mother nature, but it is actually the plants hormones that will drive the root down and the cotyledons up. MOther nature is very clever on her use of hormones within plants. It is these same hormones that cause a plant to "turn" to the sun. If you want the specifics, I will ahve to dig out my plant physiology textbook and read up on it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.