What's blooming in April IV

We're coming from here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/832364/
That was a whopper long thread! LOL

Here's Strep 'Spin Art'. Just opened this morning! ^_^ I've been waiting to see this one bloom since fall when I put down a leaf! LOL

Thumbnail by RainGazer
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Amy, are your leaves already blooming that I sent you??????? Surely not as my leaves took almost 3 months to get 2-3" tall and separate from the mama...........

Oh heavens no, Gail! This is a leaf I started in the fall! Babies are starting to poke up on the leaves you sent me, though! ^_^ I sure wish I could get them to bloom that fast, though! That would be great!

Nancy, I can't remember where it was that you asked what the Sinn pusilla seed pods look like when they're dried and ready to harvest, but I took a picture of them today and wanted to show you. There are about 4 dried pods in this picture. The far right one looks like it might not have seeds in it - it's awfully skinny. The next one, you can see where it has already split. Probably spilled most of the seeds in it, too. :oP A couple more dried ones to the left and a few still green, unripe pods.

Hope that helps you figure out what to look for, what to harvest, and what to leave. When I harvest them, if the pod is already split, I just tap it on white paper and the seeds fall out. If it hasn't split, just squeeze it very gently and it will split.

Thumbnail by RainGazer
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Amy, I was posting on the other thread but will switch here as I have a new camera I can't put down because I just put it on auto or macro and keep shooting............hope people don't get too bored.............let me just play for awhile right now and then, if I don't start watering my avs, they are going to die. The reservoirs are empty.

Amy, when I saw your pusillas I ran to take a quick pic of the three you sent to me.......I should have put them in a bigger little vase.........

Thumbnail by gessiegail

I had said on the other thread, Gail, that I was happy to see any and all pictures you want to post. ^_^ You have to play with a new camera to learn it, so post away! I'm trying to find fresh batteries for mine so I can take more pictures.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Here they are Amy and I love them!

Thumbnail by gessiegail

They look wonderful, Gail! See, I told you not to fret about them and that they'd be fine! ^_^ You could pluck one or two out of that vase and pot them elsewhere if you wanted to. It won't hurt them. I use the handle end of a teaspoon to pick them up. LOL

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This camera does not like this 'fake' lighting

great Amy, I will move them to a bigger container and maybe only leave one in that tiny vase

Thumbnail by gessiegail

I don't think I've posted these pictures yet...

The NoID Sinningia that I grew from the mixed seed packet from the Gessie Society has finally opened its buds. It seems to be Sinningia cardinalis. The color is so bright and vivid, I can't walk past the stand without noticing them!

Thumbnail by RainGazer

Does your camera have a manual or custom white balance setting, Gail? I've learned that setting that helps my pictures look a little better, or at least the color is better.

Those are beautiful blooms!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

macro on Blue Dragon.............

I love that cardinalis.........one time I called her 'Innocent' but that is wrong as Innocent has a white bloom. My cardinalis is covered with buds but they won't open.........

Thumbnail by gessiegail

Another shot of those NoID Sinn blooms because they're so darn pretty! LOL

Thumbnail by RainGazer
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Amy.............everyone has seen my blooms.............keep posting away and I will come back...........need to water anyway so badly..........loving that sinningia!

chimera of some kind

Thumbnail by gessiegail

I love Blue Dragon, Gail! I tried so many times to grow it, but never got to see a bloom. It's one of the prettiest ones there is, I think. Vintage, too, if I'm not mistaken.

I have Sinn. cardinalis 'Innocent' but it has not bloomed for me yet. Maybe one day soon...

Sinn eumorpha (white) bloomed for me, though, and it's GORGEOUS! I love this one! ^_^

Thumbnail by RainGazer

Stay and post, Gail! I only have a couple left to post, then they'll all be yours!

I got the NoID Sinn and Sinn eumorpha in a picture together. I think they're pretty like this.

Thumbnail by RainGazer
(Zone 1)

Oh wow ... I keep saying I am going to try some of the little larger Sinningia's since the only ones I have so far are the micro mini S. pusilla and S. rio das pedras. I know there are some that are really huge but I think I remember Mrsbonnie or Dianesjungle or someone saying there are small and med sized ones. One of these days ... when I get organized (hmm ... how long have I been saying I need to get organized?) LOL.

And finally, a closeup of a Pet 'Momo' bloom. ^_^ I just love the shape of these flowers.

I didn't mean to run you off, Gail! ;o) I'm done, so come on back and post more pictures!

Thumbnail by RainGazer

Lin, I can lop the top off several Sinns and send them to you if you'd like. They're super easy to root!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Amy..thank you..yep it was me along with many others I am sure wanting to know about recognizing those seed pods..lol..I can see them perfectly in your picture..now the trick will be for me trying to do my 1st seed catch...with my clumsy hands...I am sure it will be interesting...lol...Thanks again!!

Your Spin Art is gorgeous Amy!! I have a baby coming in a trade with Gail and I am bonkers over it..I am just so danged excited..can't ya tell..LOL ooo your sinningias are great looking! Ohhh your momo is a bloomin' beauty!!

Gail...Love those pusillas in the glass.I just adore mini sinns..they are the only thing I have where I can just pop them in a glass and basically ignore them (my kind of plant) and they just keep rewarding me with blooms.Gosh those tiny blooms are sweet.....pretty chimera there too!!

This message was edited Apr 19, 2008 12:01 PM

This message was edited Apr 19, 2008 1:52 PM

South, TX

Precious photos! You can't see wonderful photos like these anywhere else!

I took a picture of my teeny baby leaf and his teeny momma leaf, Peppermint Girl. I love this girl foliage on my plant and I wanted another plant.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Sally..what an adorable little baby..Oh that mama leaf is so neat..I don't blame you for wanting a baby of her..I love the shape of that leaf!!

South, TX

Here is the plant. SO sweet.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Sally that foliage alone on peppermint girl makes the plant dropdead gorgeous..with those blooms added..Wowzers! I just adore girl leaves!!

South, TX

Yes, Girl leaves are so.... GIRLY! I love them!

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Amy between your and Gail's Spin Art photos it is a definite must have!!

And thanks for the pictures and details on the seed pods from s pusilla! I was curious also and think I might have a pod or two to try my hand at harvesting. Sounds like a "timing" issue and I'm not always good there!

Gail, when your done watering I'm ready for pictures, lots of them! :)) Especially with white and light colored violets with details. I have a Thunder Surprise semi mini violet that is gorgeous and I have never been able to get a picture of it's white, lavender and apple green blooms!!

Sally the girl foliage is my favorite too! And the semi mini or mini ones are just adorable, great picture!

Amy here is the sinningia cardinals you sent me as a little guy last Oct! No blooms yet, not even any forming yet but plenty of growing!
~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
South, TX

Just took this pretty Amaryllis. I had them inside in the winter and now my plants outside are blooming.

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

I'm going to show a couple of shots of the plants that I grew out from my mixed gessie seeds. First the streps. I ended up with 5 of them. It will be fun to see them bloom and be surprised

I had read about certain streps that only form one leaf and it looks like I have one here in my mixed gessie seed batch! It would be longer but the end turned brown and I trimmed it off.
~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
(Zone 1)

Amy: That Pet. momo bloom is awesome! I have only one Petrocosmea ('barbata') and it is finally growing but no blooms yet! Re: lopping the tops off your sinningia's to send me cuttings ... No, please don't do that! I do want to eventually try one or two of the not so large ones but I would feel terrible if I couldn't get them to root for me.

Sally: Wow, Peppermint Girl is really, really pretty! I too Love that foliage and those blooms just add to the beauty of that plant!

Brenda: Wow, Nice Sinn. Cardinalis ... is that in a gal size pot? It looks huge ... that must be one of those that get quite large.

I would love to have some advice on getting Episcia's to bloom for me. I have grown to love these plants and only one so far has bloomed. E. Pink Panther, for the past year has only sent out one bloom every so often, but this last time it had 9 blooms on it! I would love to get my few other Episcia's to bloom.

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

As I watch the snow fall this morning I'm am very envious of your outside blooming plants Sally!!

I ended up with a lot of sinningias out of the mixed gessie seeds. I've given away the doubles and so here are the 5 different plants I ended up with.

A couple of them look to be big ones. And one is so little and I had to take it out and get it domed. Another of them looks exactly like the "Fuzz" that Amy and I grew from seeds given to us from Keyring, since she donates to the seed fund I think they must be the same plants.
~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
South, TX

Great pictures, Brenda.

I took pics outside on the patio this morning. You can see some of the orchids inside the sunroom.

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

The last thing that grew from the mixed seeds were these three Chirita Tamianas. I had read that they would grow from seed and bloom within 6 months and that is exactly what happened!

I'd like a macro shot of these blooms, so pretty with the vibrant purple in them.
~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Ah Sally now your rubbing it in:)) Bright outside photos and all those gorgeous orchids in a beautiful sun room! It's 28 degrees here and snowing!

So I shall concentrate on all the pretty flower pictures you guys are posting and enjoy adding some of my own! That Peppermint Girl is going on my want list!

For as lanky as my Kohlerias are and they too have only been grown in natural window light I have gotten some pretty blooms. Generally 1 to 4 blooms at a time.

But this kohleria Emily Roberts has outdone herself this spring...
~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh I am loving all these beautiful blooms today..keep em' coming ladies...those of you who grow from seed so well..I really admire that.

Brenda your tamanias are so cute..still amazes me plants that small can have blooms that pack such a punch : )

Just a quick pic..then I better get off here and get something done..hubby is threatening to hide my laptop..lol..this is Bristols Goose Egg....

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Here is K Snakeskin. I loved the "forked tongue" sticking from the bloom. LOL
~Brenda

This message was edited Apr 19, 2008 12:16 PM

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

I need to get off here and get some things done myself, but I'm going to indulge just a bit longer!

Nancy I made out a want list awhile back from a great strep site that Kim had sent to me. Bristol's Goose Egg is my third choice down! My top choice was Bristol's Blue Lemon but so far I haven't found any place that carries it??

A few more close ups of my Kohleria blooms and then to work! K. Brimstone
~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

K Peridots Kitalope....
~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

A close up of Emily Roberts and I'm off for awhile....
~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
South, TX

What pretties you have posted Brenda. Sorry it is cold there, but I will be wishing I had some of that cold air to mix with the heat in a few months!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.