Amaryllis survived outside winter zone 7

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have four medium size bulbs. I got tired of the forcing thing and put them in protected spots, They all lived and are now growing. Three were in the back part of the cold frame, one was under a pile of leaves. I will be growing them for the summer in half day to full sun, despite what I've heard from an expert to put them in shade. Last year I walked thru a community garden and one whole full sun plot was rows of amaryllis !
I'm going to try to pour on the water and fertilizer this year and I hope some bloom- some red and some Apple blossom but I've lost track who is who, and also have a good dozen babies that I lost track of too.
The pic is a bulb with offshoots on either side.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

You are amazing. I bought some of the hardy amaryllises last year (johnsonii) and put them in various places in my yard; all rotted.

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

They look wonderfuly healthy. I had several dozens in Orlando FL (zone 9). Some were in shade, while others were in full sun. I don't think I ever lost one. At this point in FL, you can see them in bloom in large numbers in peoples' yards typically planted under palm trees or along the foundation. In direct sun the plants go dormant at some point after flowering, but multiply unbelievably in just a few years. The one drawback of full sun, and perhaps not everyone sees it this way, is the stark look of numerous flower stalks blooming with no foliage. The leaves come up later, and eventually, the whole plant goes dormant when it gets too hot. It seems with shade, at least in FL, it's more likely you'll get foliage along with your flowers and the leaves that look good right up until fall. I have seen, as you mentioned, large displays in full sun where the effect was spectacular. I think it might have been at Disneyworld.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Pam- thanks for the further info.
If they can adapt to FL sun then they sure can grow in MD sun. It'll be interesting (to me at least) to see when and if these bloom and if the leaves stay all summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.