Blanketflower - Missing in Action

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

In warmer drier climates they're definitely more reliable. (they don't die back over the winter here) I only lived at my old house for 3 1/2 yrs but the ones I had there were still going strong, and this house I've only been in for 2 yrs so it's a little early to say but so far the gophers got one but otherwise they're all still fine.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I didn't realize until reading this thread that my climate was too wet for anything (except I know we have wet winters, which kills a lot of plants). Now I know!

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I just planted some gaillardia 'Burgundy' that I started from seed indoors. The seedlings are still small, but we'll see how they do. If they die, then I only paid $1.85 for a pack of seeds. (But I hope they live!)

How deep is gaillardia's root system? I have mine planted in soil that only goes about 6" deep before it becomes rocky. I would think that would be great for drainage, but a plant with deep roots would be unhappy there.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Helenium can take wet winters - I'm on the take from the big helenium money ;)

I mulched mine really well with leaves and all of them are back , 5x's as big and loaded with buds. Should bloom within a week. You have to mulch them good and wait till April at least to remove the mulch. My biggest is 3ft high x close to 4ft across. Never had one so big.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

KaylyRed: My Gaillardias never have massive root systems, but then they never survive longer than 2 years. I think yours would probably be fine there.

I know how you feel about cheap seeds. I feel the same, though I wintersow them. Even if not one sprouted, I'd only be out a dollar or two. No big loss, and generally a really big gain. I don't mind gambling $2 on a pack of seeds, but $25 on one plant is something else.

I buy very few plants now.

Karen

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I just came across this thread and I was sort of relieved to know that they are finicky I have tried 2 years in a row to grow Gaillardia oranges and lemons next to my thistle the combination of the blue an yellow orange is beautiful but again they didn't come back I did see some small seedlings coming up where it was last year and they may be from it so I am going to wait and see what happens
laura

A quick question to anyone who wants to answer. How big do your blanket flowers get? I have one that is massive, it is crowding out a peony! I hate to dig it up it has buds all over. But I hate to lose my peony too.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 5a)

I think I started mine because they would self sow and fill in the space. That did not happen this past year. I think it is a tough plant and would more than likely be ok with some "site" specific digging. I would definitely remove portions of the gaillardia and not the peony.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.