"I don"t like tropical gardens".

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

That's what she said when she moved into this 1942 Neutra. That statement makes me weak and dizzy.
Well, she kept the plants, and it's a nice garden and story. See todays latimes.com/home or http://www.latimes.com/features/home/la-hm.0417.tropical-pg,1,1581077.photogallery

Clarification, it's in the "HOME" section, then under the main page pic, hit filter by "Gardens". Article and gallery are there.
The designer says that he saves water and I noticed along time ago that I used less water after removing the worst culprit of all, the lawn, with drought resistant ground covers and deep soaking the larger trop plants about twice a month.

Thumbnail by LApalms
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank goodness she didn't rip out such a magical space..

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

What a pretty garden, thanks for posting! Thank goodness she beat the developer to it and it exists today.

Hi Lou and BraveheartsMom!
Really, thank goodness she saw the right way. There are many many people here from cold climates or just people not interested in tropical plants (PERISH the thought). Alot of people want to recreate the garden as they fondly remember in Wisconsin, Iowa.... you get the idea. They want to grow apples, cherries, tulips, junipers, roses and all thoise things (which of course are wonderful too), but they just don't do well in the 10- 11 zones. Another is the white birch, beautiful in Pennsylvania, but looks terrible and sickly in a subtropical environment. They are lucky too, to have a lot of those items mentioned, growing well in cooler climates. They reqire many hours of below 32, and it ain't going to happen here. I wish I could gorw red delicious apples and cherries and tulips, but for tulips, you have to dig them up each after blooming and refridgeraste for a month or 2.
Life is too short for that for me!
Although roses do bloom 12 months a year (I don't know why I mentioned those with the RoseParade and all that).
Take care my tropical friends!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That is a gorgeous home! WOW! Thanks for posting!

Atawhai,Nelson, New Zealand(Zone 10a)

I know what you mean LApalms. I am lucky enough to live in a frost free temperate climate where I can grow both temperate and sub tropical plants. Yet many of my neighbours insist on having boring, traditional gardens! Some of them are UK migrants which might explain something....

Mike

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I understand. Some people just don't think "outside the box". My Mom is from up North and had to adjust to what she could plant here in TX. She wanted to have those old favorites that just can't take our heat.

On the other hand, when I wanted to do "tropicals" I got a quick "that won't grow here". I insisted on "trying" and Wa-La....they did grow here are are doing well! More and more people are growing tropicals in places no one thought they would grow!!! For some it is hard to break from "tradition"!

Edited to add.....I saw a show the other day on PBS on NZ....it was absolutely beautiful!
A REAL PARADISE!!!!!!! Nothing in TX compares to the "islands", no matter how hard we try!!!!! Y'all have it all!!!!

This message was edited Apr 29, 2008 1:11 PM

Aloha Mike, and welcome to the TZG forum! Yes, you are quite right, we Brits can't seem to help ourselves, where ever we go!

I have always wanted to see NZ, I understand it is a beautiful place...I would love to see pictures of your garden and the pretty countryside, and see what you are able to grow in such a wonderful climate.

Jenny

Wow LA ...we are waking up to a frosty morning here in Sydney and sitting here with my coffee and looking at those amazing pics is a wonderful way to start the day ...how beautiful and what a great article in the paper ...I think that like everything else in life we all have different tastes ...and the magic of our gardens is that we can create whatever we want (with a bit of hard work and imagination) no matter where ever we are.
Look here in this thread (hi everyone ^_^) all the different places we are calling in from ...I am so loving that we can all see and hear each other from all over the World ...Hi Mike! why don't you show everyone some of your amazing NZ tree ferns and some of the stunning things growing down that way.
I saw the Australian tree ferns around that pool in the article ...love it!
Enjoy your Spring gardening everyone! Mike you stay warm mate:)
chrissy

Thumbnail by

I'm getting the winter woolies organised but fortunately the cold weather hasn't kicked in yet. We've got some cracker Black Tree Ferns around Nelson so i'll post some pics. Frosts in Sydney?

Here's a photo we took at Apple Tree Bay (Abel Tasman National Park). It's straight across the water from where we live - great place to spend time in the summer!

Thumbnail by mike_in_NZ
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Lovely!!!!! I sure wouldn't mind looking out at that scene daily!!!!! Beautiful!

Here's one more :)

Thumbnail by mike_in_NZ

You must have some fantastic beaches in the Gulf of Mexico? I know chrissy does. Been to some of them up in the Central Coast around The Entrance etc.

What a beautiful area, is it always so uncrowded and peaceful? Thanks for posting...

Hi Texas Gal!
New Zealand is so darn beautiful, you are so right.
Interestingly enough, In those outdoor shots in those beautiful "Harry Potter" films, the scenery seen is New Zealand. This is TRUE paradise, because of the diversity, from sub-artic to Sub-tropical.

Winter is definitely on it's way down here. Got down to about 2deg (36F) last night. There has been snow down South! Going to the local market this morning to buy some more nz Rock Lillies and hopefully another Frangipani.

This message was edited May 3, 2008 9:38 AM

Mike, Hey Buddy!
Remember that warmth is just around the corner, and soon I will be bitching about the cool weather.
I have a full schedule; complain about the heat!
Santa Ana (Orange County) was 103f.

Hi LA palms. So after punching 103 into my celsius converter I have realised that the temperature is 40deg! That's pretty hot.

Do you have Papaya growing in your garden? Im having trouble with mine. I think it's too cold here.

Mike

Hi, Mike in NZ
The Papaya grow well here.
I think that you live in more of a sub-tropical zone than a temperate zone judgeing on what you are growing. I LOVE NZ! Very much like California, a true paradise based on diversity.
Temperate is cooler with frosts quite often.
Take care, my friend.

Thumbnail by LApalms

New Zealand is VERY much like California.Sno-capped mountains and subtropical beaches.
Mike, those are BEAUTIFUL Pics!!!!! Thankyou soooooo much!

Thumbnail by LApalms

We don't have any snow on our mountains yet (some colder weather on the way) but when we do I'll be sure to post some pics plus some others of Nelson.

Here's one taken from our house.

Thumbnail by mike_in_NZ
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

That is wonderful.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Just Beau-ti-ful!!!!!!!!!

Agree with LouC and Texas Gal, Too darn beautiful for words!!!!!!

Thumbnail by LApalms
(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

There's something about being near the water that brings out a feeling of contentment, as if I'm going back where I belong. I'm always surprised when I experience that vital yet elemental feeling and wonder why I stayed away so long. I feel like I could put up with almost any weather as long as I can see the ocean once in awhile. I'm lucky that I live near San Diego, so weather isn't a real issue .... but if I had to live too far inland where I knew the ocean wasn't nearby, I think I'd go into mourning.

Mary

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Know the feeling! Got to be able to smell that salt air! When we lived in Virginia I thought I'd go crazy......no water in sight! So glad to be back on the coast! Even if it's the Gulf Coast....

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I am in landlocked Dallas, Texas. We were concieved in water and will never be able to get away from it.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Yep, love the water!

What's wrong with the Gulf Coast Texasgal?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

The Gulf Coast if beautiful! Love the warm weather!!!! During Hurricanse Season from June 1 to Nov. 30th it's kind of hectic if you have to evacuate or prepare for an incoming storm....sometimes unnerving. Galveston island is great, but doesn't quite compare to the Hawaiian Islands or NZ.....LOL!

There's lots to do here being so close to Houston, lots of places to shop! If you can't live in Hawaii or other tropical islands, it's the next best thing!!!! It's all good.

Do you have nice beaches there? Could you post some photos? We don't hear much about the Gulf region over here - it's an unknown area to me.

Mike

Thumbnail by mike_in_NZ
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

We have beaches at Galveston....not near as pretty as yours! I don't have any current pictures. I could probably find some on the web. The beaches at Corpus Christi are pretty also.

Island beaches have prettier sand and blue-er water!!!

Here's a cool shot of one my favoite places SanJuan Capitrano (1776) Ironically the great Quake of 1812 had to beon Sunday! The church was just completed, Many were crushed in the newly opened church, they hadn't a clue about Earthquake construction. Sorry, I digress so much!
Oh and all of you with that lavendar DREAM TREE called then Jacaranda is finished blooming.

Thumbnail by LApalms

Jacaranda, And do'nt WHINE there too messy. That mess is worth it.!!

Thumbnail by LApalms

We have Jacaranda over here too. Always look forward to their summer blooms!

Gosh, the pictures are lovely! We have Jacaranda "upcountry" too, I missed them this year - thanks for my yearly Jacaranda fix!

As promised LApalms, we now have some snow. Cold weather came through as predicted!

Mike

Thumbnail by mike_in_NZ
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Always beautiful to look at!

Here's one I didn't take-Big Sur in Central Calif

Thumbnail by LApalms

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.