Frost/Freeze which kills buds?

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

I originally posted this on the weather forum, and it was suggested I post it here:

I am curious about the possibility that my apple trees were not harmed by the cold or frost. From what few articles I could find on the Internet, I believe the future apples may be alright. But I don't know if I'm interpreting the data correctly.

We had a frost warning for the last 2 nights. We never saw any frost, but the temps got as low as 28 degrees in zone 6a. The apple trees were "full pink," the stage right before blooming. The buds and small leaves look fine today. Does anyone know, or have access to information that could venture a guess?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Sundownr

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

What varieties are you growing?

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

I have early transparent and older winesap apple trees. There is another very dark red apple tree (produce not very tasty) that we have not been able to determine the variety of. They were planted over 35 years ago and were here when we moved in.

Baltimore, MD

Heres the master table:

http://www.canr.msu.edu/vanburen/crittemp.htm

28F is 10% kill so you are just on the edge of not seeing any damage at all.

Scott

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

That was one of the reference pages I found, but was not sure of my interpretation of the info. At worst, I may have 10% less apples, and I'm happy with that.

Thank you very much for your help Scott!
Sundownr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.