Try pomegranates

Longboat Key, FL

I have a pair of trees -- and they are a welcome relief from citrus.

This'll be their third year in the ground.

They fruit early, and ripen in the early fall.

And they are good for you -- scout's honor. I think it's anti-oxidants (whatever they are.)

Here is one tree, starting to leaf-out.

: )

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

Ant the first blossom this year -- taken end of March.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

And -- this morning.

They're starting !!!

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Beverly Hills, FL(Zone 8b)

Those are very nice! I have a couple of those plants that I will be planting soon.

How is your persimmons doing?

Mimi

Longboat Key, FL

Mimi:

Persimmons -- slowly (but, I hope, surely.)

I've been posting on this thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/755754/

Be well

:)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
mulege, Mexico

I love pomegranates. My "giant" is blooming now. They do very well in salty, alkeline soil. They can be a tree or a bush. The flowers and fruits are both beautiful. I've read that some think the pomegranate was the original "apple" of the Garden of Eden. It's certainly one of my favorites.

katiebear

Longboat Key, FL

katie~

I heard the same story about the Garden of Eden.

They are beautiful to look at, delicious to eat, and good for you.

What more can one ask?

Be well

Longboat Key, FL

Looks bountiful. This is a cluster.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

And the winners -- will be.......................

(D'ya recognize the coin?)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

I lost one tree to the storms. But this one is hanging in.

Lot much fruit left, but they are beautiful.

Be well

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

flyboyFL, In all the raving about pomegranates nobody mentioned messy. Messy trees, messy to eat. But good. How do YOU eat them? Do you know that there is a way to seprate the seeds (part you eat) from the rind, so that you have just a dish or bowl of the good stuff?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

The new Angel Red variety was developed with soft seeds so you can eat the entire pomegranate whole. I think that will change the mind of a lot of people on the fruit.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

You ever see how much pomegranates go for in a store??? About $4 a piece where I am. They are messy to eat but I like them any ways. Personally I never thought watermellon was worth the effort to eat.

Longboat Key, FL

OK. The secret.

Submerge the pomegranate a bowl of water. Cut the pomegranate, roughly, into quarters.

With your fingers, under water, strip the seeds from the pulp, and allow them to settle..

The seeds, arils, are fully digestible, but you don't have to, if you are squeamish.. Spit out the inside cores, if you have to.

Sprinkle the seeds onto salads, or eat them like candy. etcetera.

They are good for you. Anti-oxidants, you know.

Be well

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

FlyboyFL;
Thank you for sharing such helpful info. on the promagranate growing culture and enjoyment. I was delighted to find that this plant is hardy in Albuquerque NM (zone 7b). I planted my daughter a tree several years past. This year it's bearing fruits for her. A delightful surprize that the plant is hardy with occassional snow-ladden in the mountainous area.

Longboat Key, FL

They look like Xmas trees with ornaments.

There is a company out in California called POM that is really cashing in on the goodness of the fruit. The juice makes everything taste better -- and it's good for you.

Be well

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Martini's and blender drinks??? LOL, the answer to that is yes.

Longboat Key, FL

Martinis, especially.

Here's looking at you, kid.

Be well

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I have a P. granatum 'Compactum'. It is flowering, but I haven't seen any fruit. Are two plants necessary for fruit or is mine perhaps just too young?
Barb

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Must not as Kim's daughter only has one tree and she is getting fruit.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

When the plant has an assigned name, that implies that it maybe a hybrid? Generally hybrid plant are self-infertile. FlyboyFL, your take on this please?

Hi James, congrats on your move my friend. Nice to run into you here.
Kim

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Well thanks Kim I am so excited about the move as I will be able to plant things in the ground now here I can't and they are all in pots. I will plant them in the spring as I think it may be to late for me to plant them now or is it not? I am still learning about planting times here as it is much different then ny.

James

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

For most of the plants that classified as hardy in your zone 8b, my friend, you can start planting them now -- and all through winter, such as promagranates, hydrangeas, roses ect. As for brug, they'll get frost bitten. So you may want to wait until spring to get them a longer period to get root establishment. Best of lucks.

I hope to find a promagranate here to plant this fall, if local nursery will have them.
Happy gardening everyone,
Kim

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

So, only one is needed for fruit. Excellent!
Lily love,
I think this should answer your question. A hybrid is a cross between species. The given name plants have is its cultivar name, it doesn't mean that it's a hybrid.
Tree ivy is a cross between ivy and fatsia. If someone worked with tree ivy and made a variety with say, verigated leaves or curly leaves, those would be cultivars - like 'Verigata' or 'Curly Wurly'.
Barb

Longboat Key, FL

Yes. Single one is OK

You do NOT need two.

Good luck

Be well

Hawthorne, FL(Zone 8b)

Some ethnic groceries (and even some Publix locations in Florida) stock pomegranate molasses, which is basically pomegranate juice concentrated (cooked down? it ends up brown) into what does look a lot like molasses.. Traditionally it's used in savory dishes in Middle Eastern cuisine, but it tastes great added to e.g. diet ginger ale or other diet drinks that tend to be too cloyingly sweet: it's only slightly sweet, more sour. In fact, diet ginger ale with a little rum and rather less pomegranate molasses is quite tasty, though mixing the viscous molasses with the other ingredients is a bit tricky. (Making your own pomegranate molasses is a lot of work and takes a lot of pomegranates...)

Some people here in north Florida do very well with pomegranate and fig trees. I tend to kill them through neglect, providing poor drainage, etc. I'm told that good drainage and heavy mulching does wonders for figs here.

Longboat Key, FL

My figs do well. The best ones are from cuttings from my Greek neighbor's yard. They are un-named -- I know them as the "Black" and the "White.". He swears that he originally brought them here in his suitcase.

I lost one pomegranate tree from the summer storms that ripped it out of the ground -- but the other one is doing just fine.

We buy pomegranate concentrate. It comes frozen. It is bright red -- and should be diluted about 1 to 8. It is great in martini's, too.

Be well

I love pomegranate! I had 3 little pomegranate bushes...and then there were 2 (gave one to my mother).

I'd love to be able to purchase the pomegranate concentrate here. Do you just buy it in the grocery stores? Is it expensive? Pomegranate juice is crazy expensive here ($3 -$6 for a small container in the produce area).

I'd love to drink it every day and if you ask my why, I'd say; 'cause pomegranate has a way with h-e-a-l-t-h-y. ^_^

April

mulege, Mexico

I get it at Jewish grocery in Los Angeles. In your area I'd look for a store that carries Indian or Jewish foods. Or other Middle Eastern foods. I have pomegranate paste that comes from www.sadaf.com in LA. They could proabably tell you where you can get it in your area or mail order it.

katiebear

Longboat Key, FL

I said "we." Actually it is sent to me from Los Angeles. The company is "POM." It must be expensive.

Thank you both. We have many a number of ethnic stores here and we have many friends from India here also. We will ask around.

April

Sparta, MO(Zone 6b)

are they hardy plants. Connie

mulege, Mexico

No. They do well where I am in a sub-tropical climate. I have seen them blooming as far north as Sacremento but I don't know if they produce fruit there.

katiebear

Sparta, MO(Zone 6b)

ok thank u

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Just found this thread. I have two pomegranate's in my yard that bore a lot of fruit this year. I don't know anything about them, and would like to know how to tell when the fruit is ripe for harvesting. I took a couple off the trees recently, and they were way past ripe. :(

Thanks for any info.

Sarah

Longboat Key, FL

When you rap them and they sound hollow.

It doesn't hurt to excise a chunk and test it.

Good luck

mulege, Mexico

Look for the "smile." When the fruit ripens and swells ehough to split the skin in a "smile." You can often find pomegranates like this marked down in the supermarket. This clue might not work as well in areas that have less hot weather but it's the best way I have found to judge ripeness here in the sub-tropics.

katiebear

Longboat Key, FL

Right.

That works, too.

Thanks

Be well

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I saw them growing on Little Rock Air Force Base, Jacksonville, Arkansas back in the 70's. Full of fruit!

I just found this thread and now have to find a plant!

Longboat Key, FL

Pomegranates are gratifying.

The best variety seems to be "Wonderful."

My surviving tree still has two fruits on it. They are still small -- but healthy. Hope the winter doesn't get too cold.

But it's the blossoms that are also unique.

Good hunting.

Be well

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.