pinching dusty miller (seneco) and artemisia

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

I have some varieties of each of these in 4 inch pots from a nursery. They are all lanky. If I pinch them back, will they regrow relatively fast?
Also, if I pot up the tops in potting soil (I'm not big on rooting in water unless you're into hydroponics), will they take root and begin to grow fairly rapidly?

Thanks

DP

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

dp72, I have never tried cuttings of dusty miller, but it should root-I am guessing though. If they are leggy, what I do is pinch one back just above the first or second set of true leaves and watch to see if it sends out new growth. However, it sounds like your plants aren't getting enough light. It is probably warm enough to gradually move them outside into direct sun in your area if there isn't enough light inside. Both artemsia and dusty miller are considered cool weather crops and can take cooler temps at night ( as long as no frost or freezes).
I have done cuttings off variegated artemisia and they root fast and the mother plant branches out from the cuttings.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

when your plants get big enough you can cut them back at least 1/3. i have 4 mature plants that were at least 2' tall x2' wide and were overgrowing the rest of the bed. so i hacked them way back and they are sending out lots of new shoots. dont do this when its almost winter though... the new shoots will freeze and you will have a damaged plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.