when to plant out?

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone, I have a question for you experienced wintersowers:

When is it better to plant out the seedlings? Ideally, should the plants go in the ground asap, OR is it better to keep them in the containers for as long as possible (until they're outgrowing the container)? I was wondering if there is any difference that people have noticed in terms of how soon they bloom, how vigorous they are, etc. depending on when you plant them out

I'm talking really hardy things here like poppies, lupins, & violas that can take some frost - obviously no tender stuff up here yet.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I was ultra careful last year and potted up all my seedlings before I planted them out. It was a lot of work, and I hope to avoid that this year. I know that many people plant out "clumps" of seedlings very early and have success, though I have not tried that yet.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Go back through the articles and they have one on harding off seedlings. I would also consult your farmers almanac for the last frost date and be sure and not plant before then. However, I am far from a gardener, much less master gardener. I have just learned some basics here at DG and online.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

The hardy perennials and hardy annuals can go out any time. I generally try start when those have a set or two of true leaves. As soon as the soil is workable, of course. I have planted out perennials and things like poppies and BBs as soon as early April, though my last frost date is more like Mid May.

It was in the upper 20s last night but I had to plant some bareroot perennial divisions today which I got in the mail. That soil is cold and wet!

Karen

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

OK, I'm a risk-taker so I think I'll try planting out soon. The poppies do have 1-2 sets of true leaves already, and they're looking kinda crowded in the jugs. Of course this means I've got to get a spot ready for them...

No way I am potting them up like you, Seandor - I'm way too lazy! Wintersowing actually seems like too much work to me - I'm used to just direct seeding everything, lol!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I planted out the morning glories I had WS'd. However, they didn't get more that a few inches tall. They never grew. I've started more seeds to replace them.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Syrumani, I've never had luck moving morning glories. If I plant them right where I want them, they go crazy. I'm thinking they are testy about having their roots disturbed.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I never have problems with them if I start them in little cups or pots, then transfer them when they start to vine. So, lesson learned as far as WS'ing morning glories.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I start my morning glories in paper pots I make myself - then plant the whole thing where you want them.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

You know, this was the first year of winter sowing for me, so I did a variety of seeds. I will keep in mind for next year that I just won't do the morning glories. The tomatoes did great!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.