Mike Freck

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Hey Dale.. remmember those seeds i bought you the other year...I grew some and planted them out... i don't believe it but i think they have come through the winter and started growing again....was it Isochroma? I didn't think it was a hardy shrub!
Weird!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't remember which batch that was, but, no one is more surprised than me. We have such different climates. We grow these>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Whats that one?
Is it caelspina or something?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Royal Poinciana. Bromeliad in bloom>

Dale..the tree is Royal Poinciana?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Mike i planted it in the ground

Thumbnail by phicks

Hey it looks good....and there is a runner ready to chop off and root.
Bet its huge soon.
Love to see it when its full grown...
Moved mine to a brighter window now.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

ive had all kinds of runners from it in the pot ive allready got small ones growing about 20 paul am waiting for the Boreno Giant to make pups for you paul

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

Dale, I have been seeing those trees all over the south and have got a strong hankering for one - so is it a Royal Poinciana, and have you got seeds or cuttings or whatever to spare ?????
I have some Yellow Tababouia seeds which have been very good to grow - want some?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

I have seeds for that Tree Paul

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

SeeMama,

When you are out and about at the local nurseries check to see if they have the Royal Poinciana. I have seen them in #1 pot for $4 and that is a plant that is at least 2 yrs. old. I don't have seed and they are very slow to germinate. I go to Accent Nursery in Palmetto (near I-275 & I-75 join up, on the south end) they have them for $3.50. That is less than postage.

eye candy>

Hey Dale...those Colocasia odora i was growing are looking like i got them labbeled wrong...
I think they are the Chorosia you sent me as Colocasia don't have palmate leaves.. and they look just like bigger versions of the other ones i grew from bought seed. Think i mixed them up!
Seems the secret was putting them in the fridge over winter then sowing in the greenhouse in spring....

You live an learn.

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Dale, I will keep a look out for them.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Mama, do you ever get over into the Tampa/Ybor City Area?

Mike, That is great, they finally found a new life, wish I could find one for me (it was 99F or 37.659C today) The offical temp was 91F, wondering where the thermometer is (on their desk next to the AC vent?)

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

Dale, Not very often, when we have visitors or when my other son comes over and wants to go to Thompsons Cigar place! I found the Royal Poinciana on Ebay from someone in Polk county a potted cutting, it's on it's way to me!
Oh yes my Name is Madeleine - first name Seema hence the pseudonym.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Seema,

I thought you name, seemama, was a very southern handle, like a corruption of Kah sim ee and mama. Another illusion shattered. Glad you found your tree.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Mike

Thumbnail by phicks
Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

What's that interesting looking fruit???

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

its a passion Fruit Paul

Thumbnail by phicks

Thats one big shiny fruit!
The inside never looks right to me...looks like something ive allready eaten... but luckily they taste better than they look!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

I have about 20 fruit mike ill send you seeds from this one then after i get a rooted cuting ill send it Paul

Fantastic.... bet i never get fruit like that though....

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Mike,

You just need a conseratory>

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

Poor Mike, he would need half of the County to put that up! Dale very mean of you - specialy since it aint yours.

I'snt that the one near aunties bet's house in london? If so she said i could have it ..but i coudn't find a window cleaner!
Yeah right.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

And the heating bill, even solar and wind power wouldn't keep that place warm.

Here's another, more modest sized, except you would have to move to California>

Heating is ok... som,e say i give off lots of hot air!

Weather forecast is saying we are about to get a months rain in the next 24 hours.... nice... just like the floods last year!

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

We had some nice English Weather yesterday - all night - frogs are happy

What is it the rain over here? Its nearly constant all year!

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

I did bring my umbrellas here when I moved over, sometimes I even take them out of the car!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Lady Margret Fruit

Thumbnail by phicks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.