eggplants

Black Creek, WI

I am not having any luck starting my eggplants, I first started some in potting soil and when they didn't come up I started some more using the paper towel method but am still not having any luck, what else can I do? (I did post on this earlier and the other plants I posted about have since come up.)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Mine are straggling this year, but my seeds are 3 or 4 years old. Eggplants lose viability pretty quick. How old are your seeds? They also like bottom heat of about 80*. One variety was about 5 years old, and I've yet to see 1 seedling. Others took several weeks. I planted on March 2, and germination ranged from 4 days to over 3 weeks. Eggplants are tricky, and I have no explanation.

Black Creek, WI

I bought them this year, I have black beauty and bambino. I have the ones in the paper towel on a vent next to the kitchen stove (the house is kept at 72) and the ones in cups are under a plant light near a window facing east. I have still been watering them though I planted them about 3 weeks ago.

Montreal, QC(Zone 5a)

noQgardener,

Eggplants germinate best if they are planted 1/4'' deep in moist potting mix or peat pot or large peat pellet, gently watered, sealed in a clear plastic bag (or covered with some other sort of clear lid) and held at 75F-90F (23C-32C). Bottom heat via a heat mat is helpful but not necessary. Usually they take between 7 and 10 days to germinate. If you purchased the seeds this year, then the seed is most likely viable. Your temperatures are probably too low. Also keep in mind that a windowsill can be warm in the day, but can be very cool at night or on an overcast day.

Germination can also be improved by soaking the seed in water overnight.

Keep in mind that eggplants can be sensitive to transplanting shock, so handle with care!

Our Eggplants 'Dusky' germinated 100% under these conditions. I will try to post a photo later on once I convert the images to JPEG.

Best of luck with your eggplants and don't get discouraged,

-Plantenthusiast

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.