Plant ID needed for 2 different white flowers blooming NOW!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I know I can post in the plant identification forum, but since these are blooming now in DC, I thought I'd try here first. I saw these for the first time today, walking downtown.

1) A vine utterly covered in white blossoms, usually 6 petals, maybe 2" across, flat and slightly recurved with a pink tinge, and very perfumed -- jasmine-like. Mature leaves are maybe 4" long, 1" wide. Staggeringly beautiful. This was next to the sidewalk, climbing up a 2-1/2' fence. I stole a cutting, and I'm hoping to root it.

2) A small plant, maybe a bulb, growing in some vinca minor. The flowers were about the same size as the vinca flowers, but white instead of blue. Each plant appeared to have a single stem, with several flowers. White with yellow stamens, flat, maybe 1" across. The plant was the height of the vinca, maybe 3-4." It was beautiful mixed in with the vinca.

Any ideas?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yeah....my idea is how to entice you to get me a couple cuttings of the jasmine scented one!!! Geesh....mention jasmine and I'm worse then a dog with a t-bone

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

THIEF!!!

Gosh, you've got me stumped ... and, once you get that vine established, I'm in line for a cutting as well. :)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

My daughter, who could care less about gardening, spotted the cutting sitting in a glass of water and said: "What is that plant? We want that plant, don't we? I want to eat it, it smells so good." To which my ever practical spouse replied, "Don't do that. It might be poisonous."

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok...better request.....tell ME where you "borrowed it" and I'll go borrow some myself

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

No worries -- it is next to the place where I take French classes so I go weekly. I'll take more cuttings and try to root them, whatever it is.

If none of the wonderful Mid-Atlanticans can identifiy these, I'll post on Plant ID in a day or so. Wish my digital camera worked.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'll give you my first born child...oh wait she's 21...that won't even make for a tax deduction....hmmm, let me think.....

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi, Happy!

For the vine, what shape are the leaves and color? Are they dark and glossy?

I have laurels blooming now that smell divine!! They are shrubs with white flowers out front.

I am checking my references on the white bulb flower. Without a picture, it is a guessing game!!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I know, I know; I was walking around w/o camera. I may grab my daughter's camera and run take photos of the two.

The leaves on the vine were indeed laurel shaped, and they were fairly dark but not glossy. Not particularly pretty, but not bad. It is definitely a vine.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Keep me in mind for a cutting, too, if you have enough. Would love to see a pix of this.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ok -- here are the photos of the vine:

Thumbnail by happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Another. (By the way, I got plenty of cuttings; now if I can just figure out how to root it.)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Another.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

And another view:

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

And the last:

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Early blooming Clematis? Did you say evergreen? I think there are some evergreen Clematis. I would love a cutting if you have enough.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I wondered if it was a clematis. The leaves are more leathery than the ones I am familiar with. I probably took 6 long cuttings -- if I can figure out how to root them, they should easily make 12 plants, so plenty to share for everyone who has asked. If they are clematis, I know the steps to take, but I also know that they are a bit tricky to root.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Does look like Clematis a bit....Ohhhh soooo excited!! Might want to (you probably already thought of this) post those shots over on the ID and/or vine forum

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I will. I just thought I'd try here, since it's local.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I can ID cactus every now and then...keep me in mind for that...ok? LOL

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL! The one thing I can say with certainty is that this vine isn't a cactus.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ok. It's posted in plant ID, w/ a cross-reference in Clematis. As soon as I figure out what it is, I'll start rooting the cuttings (which are in water right now).

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

You GO girl!!!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I wish it were that easy . . . . I fear the dreaded moment when the rooting plant drops all its leaves and looks naked and forlorn.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes...I feel YOUR pain...however I will say I FINALLY have success rooting a hardwood cutting that Becky graciously shared with me...now there's NO stopping me

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

It's been identified as a clematis!!!! I think it may be a cultivar of some sort, but the basic ID seems right -- Clematis armandii. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55613/. Now I have my work cut out for me!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

This looks like the flower
http://donahuesgreenhouse.com/flower/Fargesioides.html

but the bloom time and fragrance sounds more like this one
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/79164/

Maybe some other variety that has the flowers of the first one but the bloom time of the second one?

Aha!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/170921/

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy, I planted a Clematis armandii two years ago and for some reason it looks like it didn't make it through the Winter and I've been devastated as I loved it! I am crossing all of my digits in hope that you get that baby to root. =)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have lots of it, but I understand clematis are hard to root. I don't know if any special rules apply to this baby, but I'll give it the old college try. I have plenty for everyone, assuming it roots (which I know is a leap). And I can always purloin more cuttings.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Hart: I think you might be right about the Clematis "Pixie" -- except it is only hardy to 7b, and we definitely are not that temperate here. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/187892/.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2008 7:29 PM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wrightie: Sounds as if overwintering can be a problem for new plants: http://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/publications/plantsman/0605/clematis.asp

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

What gets me is that it did perfectly fine the previous Winter (with all of the freezes & thaws that year). I had no reason to think that it was in distress. I'm now wondering if I should have watered it more last Summer/Fall. It is in a fairly dry spot on my fenceline and I only babied it the first year that it was in the ground. *Sigh* I haven't given up on it yet, but methinks that it's pretty dead-as-a-doornail.

I love the RHS, btw. I have some of their books.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I am sobered by the challenges in rooting these babies.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I say just go for it and don't over think it. If it doesn't work, so be it! Pour a glass o' vino and chill. LOL

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I've been on a small bit of a diet so there's been no vino for a while -- that's probably why I'm overthinking the clematis woes on a Saturday night!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Why don't you collect seeds after they form? It's probably just a selected variety of a species clematis so it wouldn't be too far off.

DON'T go by plant files for hardiness. I've found way too many plants that have wrong listings for hardiness.

Hmm, Pixie may not be it. I found it at Joy Creek and they say the flowers are yellow/green. I thought that was just bad lighting in the photos in plant files.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

These flowers are definitely a nice white -- not at all yellow green.

I'll try to remember to snatch some seeds in a month or so -- good suggestion!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I've had no luck with starting clematis from seeds. I hope that you have better luck than me!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

From my seed starting book:

Germination usually in 30-365 days
Spring sowing - Sow in containers and freeze for 3 weeks. (1/8th inch deep) Remove and sink in the ground in a shady location, covering with glass. Transplant seedlings as they appear.

Take cuttings in early summer.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Great. Chances of me germinating those babies is between slim and none! 365 days!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.