LOOK WHAT MY GIRL FRIEND JUST GAVE ME TODAY!!!!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

She called and said--"Would you like to have a Clivia?" I have two and i woulf love to give you one.

SO! She was in my area today--and said she would drop it off......She had kept it in her sun room all winter....OK!
I am expecting, maybe, a 6" pot of this plant---------------NOPE! She brought me the "big one!!!!!" Kept the smaller one......SO! In she walks--lugging this 40lb plant------in maybe a 30 year-old, 14" pot----I am just standing there with my jaw down to my knees! This thing is H-U-G-E!!!!!!!!!!!! I think she "unloaded" one on me......SO! Now I am "The Keeper"........She is too busy dating and socializing....

She told me it is 30 years old and has never been transplanted. She got it from her Mother. She has NEVER fed it--NEVER fertilized it--NEVER divided it----NOTHING!!!!!!!!

I have been scanning through the "Tropicals" Thread, and indeed, you should never mess with these in any way! NO dividing! Might kill it! Keep it dry--keep it in the shade outside--give it a total rest (NO water) from August to February....etc. Hey! My kind of a plant!!!!!

I am still in awe!!!!!! Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is a close-up of the bloom

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

It is VERY root bound---but this what it seems to like! Here's a close-up of the pot surface.....

Have any of you had this plant? Any comments are welcome!

Thanks, Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Ok, now I'm green with envy. Wonderful looking plant!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh WOW Gita, I was looking at those at the Phila Flower Show. They are just fantastic. What a great plant. You are right thrives on "benign neglect" just my kind of plant.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Holy moomoo! That is awesome!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Wow! That's a gorgeous clivia, Gita. How sweet of your friend to give it to you.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow, that's stunning! That's like inheriting an established bonsai, only better because it doesn't need fussing with!

That's a princely gift. And it definitely went to somebody who will appreciate it -- well done! Give your friend a big hug from us!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Congrats! What a score. That is uh-may-zing.
And so is the price you can ask for any seeds you get !!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yeah??????

Like-how much per seed??????
I presume the seeds will come where the blooms are right now? I need to read up more on this plant......

Jill,I think she gave it to me, sort of, in the category of "unloading" it on me.
She is doing some serious housecleaning.....Believe me, I was expecting maybe a 6" pot of it and in she walks lugging this monstrosity! I am still in awe!

I wanted to show you the American Honeysuckle start you gave me over a year ago--at hart's, I think? It grew and grew but never bloomed last year. It stayed green all through winter. Here it is--the top of the trellis got cut off in the picture.

I need to find a new Clematis, as the one that was there must be gone. Don't see any signs of life.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Peek-a-Boo!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Cool! I think that American Honeysuckle is just from a little layered cutting I brought along when I came out to visit you... you're the one who discovered that it also roots nicely in water! Mine is growing way out of control, so I definitely have to chop it back. I'll try to stick some cuttings in case anybody wants them...

How much per seed depends on how valuable the parent plant is... some hybrid seeds go for $25-30 (each). Blooming size clivias of any sort are $$ because it takes 3-5 years for them to start blooming.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

try this link ot Logee's greenhouse- I think this is the place Martha Stewart had on her show, but still
http://www.logees.com/searchprods.asp
50 bucks for a six inch pot of a named yellow one. yes 50.

Forgot to say the clivia is fabulous!

This message was edited Apr 11, 2008 10:36 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think yellow is one of the "special" colors for Clivia... but I've seen little pots of regular ones for $30 I think locally.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Congrats!!!!!!!!!! This is so pretty and I can see four bud stalks.
Peek-a-Boo is new to me, is this annual or perrinial?
kaleem

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Gumlla----

"Peek-a-Boo" is just an expression. It is like a game you play with young children.
You cover your eyes--and then you take your hands away and say--"Peek-a-Boo".....

It is like sneaking a look at someone! Does this explain it? In my picture of the mini-red Tulip--I said "Peek-a-Boo"--as if it was peeking out from the ground at me.....

English has just too many idioms!!!!!

Gita

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Gita
Thank you so much for the detailed reply.
Kaleem

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.