does witch hazel climb?

Franktown, VA(Zone 7b)

One of our local nurseries closed last year (former owner passed away, new owners came on board maybe 5-6 years ago) after the plants had become more mysterious and miss-marked, abandoned, etc. Some of us are just suckers for a mystery plant or 20. Anyway, one of the sticks I bought in '05 marked witch hazel, has now grown in to three long, sweeping and wrapping canes. I don't remember the blooms from last year but canes are just now leafing out for '08 about every 3-4 inches, and I discovered one had wrapped itself around my bird house and even invaded the birdhouse hole. The remaining two canes were wrapped around a winter honeysuckle branch and a mock orange respectively. The cane is smooth, about 3/4" in diameter at ground level, begins to bow at about 3.5 feet, seeking something upon which to wrap itself, has no little curly attachment things (don't know the name of those), and does not resemble any photos of witch hazel in my gardening books nor on line. I just pulled the old tag off, so I know I planted it lol and is not one of the many strange volunteers I get like pecans, hack berry, etc. Any suggestions? Wish I could find an identification book dedicated to leaf shape and stem type. I'd like to know if some of my mystery plants are going to be 50' high specimens.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I've never heard of a witch hazel that climbs. Check Gossler Farms' website. It there's such a thing as climbing witch hazel, they would have it.

Leaves of witch hazel are very easy to identify. One side kind of grows down a little bit further on the stem than the other side. Do you see what I mean here?

http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/havi5081.jpg

Franktown, VA(Zone 7b)

I don't think so either. Despite the incorrect tag, I think it is some type of trumpet honeysuckle. The winter honeysuckle is in bloom currently, but this mystery plant is just now beginning to leaf out a bit. The quest continues to solve the rest of the mysteries. Thanks for your input.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

The only vine that I have which kinda sorta fits your description is a hardy kiwi, so not even remotely close to witch hazel. Any chance you can post a photo?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I was thinking maybe wisteria? Since it might be in the same area if their plants were grouped alphabetically. Once the leaves are out, you should be able to identify it pretty easily.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.