ProMix BX

Gray, ME

I purchased a bale of ProMix Bx thinking it is the same as the standard ProMix I have been using all along to start seeds. It is not the same as it has bacterial inuculants for good root developement. That is fine with me, but because of this the instructions warn not to sterilize the medium as you would be destroying the inuculants. Sure makes sense to me, but I am reluctant to start my seeds in a product that I have not sterilized in my microwave.

Has any one successfully used this product. I am sure it is "clean" coming out of the bag when it is first opened but worry that contamination with molds and mildew will occur to the material left in the opened bale. It is in a very heavy plastic wrap so would not be easily punctured and contaminated in that manner and I will cover it.

Do you think that using H2O2 and water when I have to add moisture will suffice?

Any experience you have had with this product or suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

I have used pro mix BX for the last two years for all my seed starting.Never sterilized it and I have had no damping off.But I also always use chamomile tea in my water for the first 3-4 weeks.I have left the bag open and just mix up some in a BIG bowl ,adding the water/tea to dampen the mix .Then fill my six packs,etc.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I use it...didn't like it much, but it was because it stayed wetter than I prefer for my seedlings, not because I had any seedling diseases.

I don't sterilize it, or pasturize it or even worry about contamination, but I am just a hobby gardener, not a greenhouse grower. The plants are cheek to jowl under the lights, but I only have 3 shelves.

I've tried H2O2, but I can't honestly say I can figure out it does anything for me.

Suzy

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

All the peatbased soiless mixes are already sterilized, you shouldn't have to do it also. I never do. That includes the Farad, Sunshine, ProMix, Berger etc -they all sterlizile their mixes.

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Suzy,I agree,it can stay a little damp.I mix in extra perlite,and it definitely helps.

somewhere, PA

I really like the proMix in the bail. I started all my seeds in it this year. No disease.
No special watering additives. No damping off.

Tam

Gray, ME

Thanks everyone. I have been using Pro Mix BX along with C tea and Super Thrive for several weeks now and I really like it much better than the original mix I used.

I've also been soaking my seeds in Super Thrive for about 20 to 30 minutes before I sow them and all have germinated several days sooner than expected. Love that.

I was having a big problem with bottom watering. Several cells would stay dry it seemed or worse they would get too wet. I picked up a hint on this web site somewhere and am now putting coffee filters in the bottoms of my pots or cells before adding the soil and have found this works quite well. The water absorbs more evenly this way.

Live and learn. This is an endeavor of discovery and adjusting every day. Love it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.