blooms beginning 4/8/08

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a huge Mellow Yellow held by Lily Reyes, daughter of friend Chon who works here Saturdays for many, many years. LIly is an 11-yr old Salvadoreņa who loves hibiscus.

peace,
Barry

Thumbnail by BarrysHibiscus
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Flaming Star is impossible to ignore . . 8", heavy texture, very new
Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I posted a Cyborg a few days ago; here's another. I like it lots.
Barry
also very new . .

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

roller Rink Pink... great bloomer, compact plant, long lasting

Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I might've shown this one recently also; very new, 8-9", warmer than the browns generally, thanks to the orange overlay: Adobe Clay

Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

last for awhile, the beautiful Heartbeat
peace,
Barry

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Barry, they are all lovely, especially the huge Mellow Yellow being held by a pretty young girl :-)

For the money though, I've trained my sites on (and will be watching for) Cyborg and your stunning Flaming Star!!

karen

Tulsa, OK

WOWZIER!!! Mellow Yellow must be 15" wide!!! It's HUGE! And simply stunning - okay tell me - so who's selling this one?

Flaming Star - is a show stopper - I'll keep my eyes peeled for this one when it becomes available. Barry you must have some magic fairy dust that you sprinkle on your creations because their beauty always amaze me!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a better image of Mellow Yellow . .

thanks again,
BArry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

a yellower Mellow Yellow

Tulsa, OK

Awww Barry - you're such a tease - 2-3 years! Sigh! Okay okay guess for now I'm going to have to make these pictures my screen saver so I can oggle over it daily until Hines release it for sale! :)

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Barry, those are both beautiful but Flaming Star takes the cake!! Thanks for posting your pics, the hibiscus are gorgeous!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a new yellow single that I love, Summer Heat:
smiles,
Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hmmm . . my thumbnail is in that photo. Six weeks ago I was stapling up greenhouse plastic above a door, using a hammer stapler, and decided to hit my thumb instead of the plastic. The colorful area of the thumbnail is growing toward the tip now, ugly but painless . . now.
which reminds me somehow of this pretty double, which I named many years ago for my mother in law.
;-)
Her name is Dorothy Wolfe.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's one nobody will like. It's big and very brown. Dirty Joke.

peace,
Barry

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, love that Dorothy Wolfe!!

Oh! That Flaming Star & Roller Rink Pink are so pretty! Keep your fingers away from that Stapler!!!!!!!! Lorine

This message was edited Apr 9, 2008 10:33 AM

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

hmmmmm......... I like the brown one alot! wonderful pics!

Tulsa, OK

Barry - ouch! Bet that hammer to thumb was painful then even if it's a distant memory now!! :)

Dorothy Wolfe is gorgeous! Please tell me that one's available or at least who the lucky sellers will be. I love the way the orange blends out of the inside onto the petals. Keep up the picture - soon my zone will behave like it's really spring but until then I'm contented with seeing your beauties! Ivana

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Mellow Yellow and the lovely Lily are both beautiful as is Dorothy White. Sigh, cat we will just have to move. Pooh on Hines for not selling Hibiscus along the southeast coast.

Mol, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Barry, I like a lot your Roller Rink Pink. it reminds me to Karen Lee which I lost a pair of years ago and never saw again on selling at nurseries here.

Regarding to Mellow Yellow, Charles Black have (or had) a variety with that name. Also Gene named a seedling as Mellow Yellow.

Regards

Carlos

Thumbnail by carlo05
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Carlos, Gene may have displayed a photo of my seedling Mellow Yellow because he tests some of my seedlings. I do not believe he has used that name on one of his few seedlings. We are good friends, Carlos. He wont be verifying this soon because he is attending to his very ill mother.

As for the other person mentioned, I do not think he registers his hibiscus but if need be we'll change the name to suit the patent office official. Otherwise I'll consider the name mine. IF altered the name will become "Barry's Mellow Yellow."
Barry

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I'll for SURE be checking out Hines plants vendors, they are ALL stunning, Barry, but Heartbeat caught my eye and Roller Rink... Cyborg? That's Amazing! The most beautiful, Lily... a lucky girl to come to work with her Father. That is one HUGE bloom! Thanks for posting the pics... and Dirty Joke, it's the prettiest ugly brown. I didn't think I liked the browns, until I got Cherry Cola. Brown is really a soft, warm color it gives off different tones and hues.. lots of possibilities. I love how other colors look on the browns. But really, Dirty Joke?? (I love it) I'm in trouble now, admitting the beauty of brown hibiscus...There is a really "ugly" green one out there, I can't recall the name..reminds me of Gerber Strained Peas.. lol

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for your nice comments, AuntB. I'll try to restrain myself and not post any of my "green" hibiscus for awhile. Most likely the green you saw was born right here.
;-)
smiles to you,
Barry

Tulsa, OK

AuntB - I think you'll want to check out Stuffed Jalapeņo that Barry posted a while back - it's one of the most stunning "green" hibiscus I've seen - no Gerber Strained Peas there! It might change your mind about green hibiscus - at least it did mine!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/823361/

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

YES, that one is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay, guys. This is a test. The attached bloom is a first bloom seedling, and I will keep it . . partly because of its genes and the traits that are hidden in this flower. It helps that the plant is top notch with branching, persistent shiny foliage, and lots of buds.

Yes Barry , What did you name it? I suggested Sunny Ruffles there wer a couple of other names suggested! Lorine

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

I believe it was this thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/819286/

What did you end up naming it, Barry?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Amanda, we still have "Three Ring Circus" on it and sad to say, Sue doesn't want to use any of the three names suggested so far. Here's the bloom again and if someone wants to suggest a name or two or three, and Susan likes it, we'll send you a young clone . . by now we have blooming size clones of this one. Rene and amanda and all, feel free to play again . .
here's the seedling in question, colorful, excellent grower and bloomer
Barry

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Hummmm .... well I'm not sure if any of these are in use yet, but here are a couple of suggestions that come to mind when I see this bloom:

Heat Flash
Hawaiian Sunset
Burning Embers

Do I need to think of more?

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

I kinow this thread only has Barry's hibs for the week, but since I can't find another thread for the week, I guess I should post my 2 on here? Unless of course, I'm stepping on your toes Barry ... just let me know!

First up is Cajun Moon ...

Thumbnail by AmandaTaylor7
Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

And second, my second Nightrunner!

Thumbnail by AmandaTaylor7
Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

I keep meaning to get Nightrunner--always a beauty.

And having come to this thread to find out the name of that beautiful yellow hibiscus so that I could buy it...I'm sad now. I need to learn patience when opening Barry's threads; we all enjoy seeing the new stuff he comes out with.

The three ring circus looks like a Citrus Sensation or a Mango Menagerie to me. The Remembrance x Hollywood looks more like Arsenic and Old Lace or a Moonlit Flame.

Golden Rings
Hearts Aflame
Lorine

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'll get Susan to decide over the weekend, thinking maybe a Saturday poster might want a name in the hat.
Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Um . . I should have said that Smoke Signal is a brand new first bloom seedling, love the "fire" in the middle of that smoke.
Barry

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

I'm not a huge fan of the greys, but that one is very nice, with the pink edges. Is it variable in sun/shade/hot/cold/later in the day (or is it too new to even know that yet)?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I was thinking the same thing. The grays do not catch my eye normally, some of them are just too dramatic for my tastes, but that one is just so pretty. It's a keeper.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

For the name change on Three Ring Circus, my suggestion would be Tropical Sorbet or Tropical Sherbet. It looks like tropical fruit colors.

I love your Flaming Star. Absolutely gorgeous.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.