New to sowing...Zone 5b

Westville, IL(Zone 5b)

This is my first time of doing any Sowing. I will follow with a list of plants and flowers that I am wanting to Sow for my Butterfly Garden. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I picked up these seed packets at menards, and a couple at a local farm supply store.

Herb Host Plants
Chives, Common ( Allium schoenoprasum )
Cilantro ( Coriandrum sativum )
Rosemary ( Rosemarinus officinalis )
Thyme, Common ( Thyme vulgaris )
Chamomile, german ( Matricaria recrutita )
Lavender ( Lavendula angustifolia )
Parsley
Oregano ( Oreganum vulgare )
Dill, Fernleaf ( Anthum graveolens )
Chives, garlic ( Allium tuberosum )

and the Flowering plants

Tithonia
Velvet queen sunflower
Shasta Daisy ( Silver princess )
Blanket Flower burgundy ( Gaillardia Aristata )
Columbine ( William Guinness )
Asclepias tuberosa ( 2 different packets...one reads Butterfly weed, the other Butterfly flower....2 different heights as well )

Thanks

TJ

BOUQUETS and a big welcome to Dave's and wintersowing! You'll enjoy your butterfly gardens this year and may even have a few to share with others!! Your columbine will probably bloom next year.The blanket flower and most of your herbs will take off with the heat.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I haven't had any luck with lavender. I am a newbie too. Sunflower you shouldn't have any trouble with though. I would get some marigolds. They are easy to start.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Your chives will go everywhere. Put them away from all others. I have been trying to get mine out of the place where I had them for years. BEV

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Welcome, ShadowJack.

Karen

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I have had super ws germination on parsley, columbine, daisies, and fernleaf dill. I would wait on the sunflowers for a bit. They come up pretty quickly and might get large before you get a chance to get them out.
Bev

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

For chives, I buried a clay pot, with about 1-1/2 inch of the rim sticking up out of the ground, and planted the chives inside of it. They come back every year, but it keeps them from spreading and taking over my entire little herb garden. Tried the same thing with mint, but it spread anyway. ;o)

Now oregano is the thing that is taking over. . .each year I pull off all the extras and hang them to dry, because it is getting to be quite a sizeable "bush." LOL

Just can't get rosemary to come back, and it is supposed to be perennial.

Booker

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

You will love it here, Shadow. Believe me when I tell you everyone will help you every way they can.
I'm learning something here. Never planted herbs till this year, didn't know they would spread, should have cause I "inherited" some when I moved once. Smelled good, but was everywhere. Garlic was too. Yuk

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I've never found rosemary to be hardy in my zone; I think people overwinter it indoors.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.