Getting rid of yellow jackets - HELP!

Mount Airy, MD(Zone 6b)

For about four years now tribes of yellow jackets have invaded my deck and agressively attack all who come near. Their nests are inside the railings by the steps and, because of this, it becomes impossible to use the railings when going up and down to the garden. Has anyone used the box-type hanging traps that lure them? I've hesitated because I don't want to harm the other honey bees, etc. Any help will be appreciated!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

If you know where the nest is you can use wasp and hornet spray on it and kill them all. Wait until dusk when they've settled down for the night and spray, spray, spray.

The hanging traps will probably lure other bees and wasps too and not a guarantee to get the whole nest.

I'm surprised yellow jackets would be nesting in a hand rail - normally they nest in the ground. Sounds like carpenter bees which can be aggressive defending their territory (males are supposed to be sting-less but I don't want to test that nor know the difference between male and female). Anyway, I hate it when they bore holes in wood siding, railings, etc.

Mount Airy, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the advice to wait till they settle in for the night. I've been afraid to spray for fear they'll all come after me and I'm not sure I could get all the way down into the nest. These are definitely yellow jackets, as I also have carpenter bees in another fence. Also, this is a vinyl rail rather than wood. It's hollow and they go in an opening where the railing meets the vinyl post.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Typically if you can see the hole that they are flying in and out of, you can just stand back 15 feet or so with your can of wasp and hornet spray and spray directly into the hole. As they start coming out they will be killed instantly. It works like a charm but wait until they settle down for the evening. I have done a few yellow jacket nests this way without incident. Last year I must've disturbed a nest while cleaning up the back lot and got 3 stings. So later that evening I located their nest by seeing them flying back into their hole. I waited until there was no more activity and commenced spraying. Ah, revenge!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Hcm is right about the spray, I had them trying to build a nest near the steps to the hot tub, had my husband spay them a that took care of the problem.
In late summer I do hang the traps, the one where they fly in but can't fly out, I have never caught a Honey bee or any other bee in them, just flys and yellow jackets.

Mount Airy, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, that's good to know about the traps not catching any of the beneficial insects. That always worries me when I use any sort of product that eliminates the others. Are they the traps specifically for yellow jackets that I read about last year? I appreciate your advice!

This is what I use, I bought one at the Pottery Factory near Williamsbugh several years ago.
http://www.backyardbird.com/advanced-cross-sell-popup.html?num=3&pageid=wasppurple&storeid=backyardbirdcompany

They fly in the bottom to feed and can't get out and drown, I use orange juice. When there is no activity in the trap I open the top and flush it out with the hose, then refill and it is ready to go again.

Sorry it seems the picture did not load

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Mount Airy, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the picture and the link - the trap is even attractive! I've never seen one like this. The ones I saw were put out by one of the insecticide companies I think. That's why I was so concerned about using it....

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

If you are really worried about spraying you can call a pest place and they can dust them for you..

Just a thought.

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Those pretty little wasp traps are ok if you have one or two bees that are pestering around your picnic when you sit outside, but are not meant for aggressive insects like hornets or yellow jackets. If you've already got the aggressive ones hanging around, a sugary substance will tend to draw them.

There are numerous internet sites to educate yourself. The one below is the U of Ky.

[HYPERLINK@www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef620.asp]

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.