o.k. what's your fancy, what did you buy this week ?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I bought an Aechmea Blanchetiana for $30.00 (incl shipping ) and two white Angelonias @1.dollar something each

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

wow fleurone, that Aechmea looks striking, just lovely.

ohhhh I like sharing my purchases, I'll chime in.
I saw Kerby's Nursery about 10mins drive from me had gotten a shipment of tropicals in....so I picked up a Vanilla Orchid, Dragon Fruit and then some herbs....Cuban Oregano and Apple Mint. I was very happy to find the Cuban Oregano, I lost it this winter and thought I had found some at Wal-mart, but it smells like camphor, not oregano...so I'm hesitant to use it, I think it was mislabeled. Anyway I'm happy now I have the real thing...I just love this plant so much, I use it in cooking all the time.

Beverly Hills, FL(Zone 8b)

I went to Color Country Nursery (Lecanto) and purchased 2 different peach trees (150 chill hours, developed at Gator Country). Then I was looking around and saw a pretty vine and it said male Kiwi and female Kiwi. I'm such a sucker for any fruit trees, so I had to get this one also!

Mimi

This message was edited Apr 7, 2008 10:28 AM

This is the Kiwi plant.

Thumbnail by mimianvy
Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Your kiwi looks very healthy. Great find.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Buying nothing this year. LOL. Started over a 150 seeds with 22 different perenials and trees. Trying to figure out rooting cuttings this year so cuttings and seeds will keep me busy. A lot cheaper and I got my hands on plants that I just can't find around me and in some cases you would have a very hard time finding them on the internet. Of course it's going to take an extra year to get them going but that's fine with me.

Last year a put in a small fruit orchard and that was enough buying for a couple years.

Mimianvy, don't those Kiwis get very large? I had one once that ranall over the top of an oak. Must have been amale, no fruit. Guess you have to have both!

I'm not sure how big these kiwi's get, but I heard they do get very large! I have an about and 1/2 acrea fenced, so hopefully that will be enough.

Rene10, yes, I do have both male and female (will, thats what the tag says) and I was told that it will take a few years for it to have fruit. Do you still have your kiwi?

No I have moved since then.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I surcame to those giant gerbera daisies they had at HD. It is really my first big had-to-have this year. I hear they are bred just for HD. They really are huge.

I also am in the process of ordering from the tropicals co-op this week.

I can assure you. Im going to be at HD when hey unload this early afternoon. Last Tue. is when I found my Gerbera.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Great buys astc girl , I have a dragon fruit which is growing really well. One day I will try the vanilla orchid. I don't seem to have much luck here with herbs, my mint is looking pretty sad.

Great kiwi plants mimian

wow core that's a lot of seeds to look after, yep orchards can run expensive.

Do the gerberas last well?

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

The gerbers daisies seem to act as perennials. They bloom periodically throughout the summer, stay everygreen and repeat the next summer.

I bought some gallon "freeze damaged" gerbers from Lowes this past winter for a dollar each. Kept them in the greenhouse then after last frost, planted them out in the yard. They are settling in right now and I expect will commence into their bloom cycles soon.

I haven't done any plant shopping yet.......except for the lilium coop I was in, and of course many plants were traded at the roundup. I didn't make it to the spring Kanapha sale, but the Native Plant Society is having their spring sale on Saturday. I have every intention of picking up many more natives and will report back.

Molly
:^)))

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I bought Gerber's in the Fall of 2006 from Lowe's and they have actually lasted in the ground every winter. I had one that Bloomed at 31.F this past winter. Boy was I shocked. LOL I absolutly love this flower.

I bought a H.F. Clematis a few days ago from Lowe's. My first one ever. I'm a little nervous about growing it. The tag says morning sun only. In my yard I would have to move it around every day. any suggestions. I didn't think before I bought. The flower was too pretty. I'll admit I can be a compulsive plant shopper :(

Beautiful Kiwi!! Are Kiwi's hard to maintain?

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

I have Clematis up against the east side of my house where they only get morning sun.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Molly, dang there was a load in walmart on the 'dumping' shelf also at a $1.00 each a few weeks ago . I wasn't sure so left them.
look forward to the sale report :)

Haven't tried any clematis yet. But I did get some garlic vines today :)

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh no the dollar sale. I have a little problem with those.

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Don't we all, CoreHH. : )
~Lucy

None for me, no room! Fluerone my garlic vine is full of buds. going to bloom! I love that plant!! Of course I love all plants. LOL Lorine

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

aww Lorine I am sure there is always space for one more :)

I haven't planted the vines I know where I wan't them but yet I have someone coming later to help me with some more sprinklers again so I thought I would wait until after the 'big feet' have been.

I bought one but when the plants arrived in the mail the lady had put in five, most are around 5-6 inches high a couple are smaller , should I just put them all in the one hole do you think . Will have to see how quickly they grow as well .

Don't forget to post a picture of yours.
Maggie

They do not grow very fast to start with. I keep mine trimmed back so it doesn't outgrow the space. I only have one & it is about 2ft wide & 2 1/2 ft high. You don't know how limited my space is. I live in a mobile home park. There is only about 10ft between us! Lorine

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

hmm o.k. I wan't them to grow up a pillar eventually , maybe I will stick three in and see if anyone want's to try the others.

oh I didn't know that, but maybe some tiny plants? :)

You would be surprised at what I am growing in my small space! I have Amaryllas, daylilys, Hibiscus, Cucumbers {1 hill] tomatoes [1 hill of the small tomatoes, it is huge] impatiens, couleous, 2 rose bushes [ Don Juan] string beans, and a few other small plants besides my potted things. Ask Lucyabout my garden. I got mine from a lady here in town. She has lots of them. Lorine

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I came home from HD today, with all things, a pink crown of thorns. I just love it to death. This doesnt look like the COT I grew up with. I headed right over to the tropicals co-op and added 7 to my order. I wanted to get one of each, but 7 little guys should start me out.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Lot of plants in a little space Lorine, but it makes a difference to have lots of beautiful things around.I walk around every morning to see what is growing and how things are doing. A few mornings ago I came outside from a door at the end of the pool and I am talking to the brugs, next minute I spotted H down the other end so I said mm , bet you thought that sounded silly me talking to the plants and he replied no sillier than him saying goodnight to the dogs each night. Is it Shirley you get the plants from?

lol gardenglory you really went to town!.There are some amazing COT around now.

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

I know about small places, we just bought our first home 2 years ago, the yard is very small since we have a lanai in the back that takes up most of the room....but I still have lots of plants....sun is my only problem since I have a large oak in the front and backyard, but I find little nooks and crannies for my 30 roses to get some sun, and all the other sun loving plants I have....Luckily, since it's so hot in Florida, a little bit of shade is actually good for some of my plants...still wish I had more room though....I'm already having visions of converting the lanai roof to a garden top yard.....just haven't explained that bit to my husband yet....LOL. I think in my small yard I have over 200 plants easy...but it's still not enough! Especially when you browse the forums on here...you suddenly become addicted to a new plant and have to have all the different species/colors available!LOL

I forgot to say maybe 30 orchids in the back under 2 oaks. Lorine

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

True asctgirl the plant files and pictures posted here makes you very addicted. They are all must haves!!

Wow Lorine thats a lot of orchids!.

Well I bought four blue daze today to finish of a border.I did wan't some more white angelonia too but they didn't have any.

I was so disgusted at our walmart today , so many really dead, sad or sorry looking plants I have never seen anything so bad. Whole shelves full of dead plants and a dumpster type bin with another load all thrown in. I don't know if they haven't been watering or what but I would be ashamed to be the manager there. Wish I could have taken pictures you would have been horrified.

Thumbnail by fleurone
Tampa, FL

hey, maggie, i am still enjoying your books you sent me...they come in handy for photocopying for my cards! Hope you are enjoying your stuff too!

I know what you mean about Walmart, ours is pretty good at taking care of flowers lately. But sometime at Lowes i see huge rolling carts with the whole shipment wilted and dead...what a waste!!

Walmart had just gotten some stupendous pots of lavender, my favorite plant. So i planted up a big blue pot with them..now everytime i go by it, i can't resist running my hand in the foliage...tried drying some, but no fragrance?

sue

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I can't pass up the rollig dead and dying rack. LOL. Usually the plants are $1 or less and sometimes it's a make an offer situation. As far as perennials you can bring those back to life.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Okey Dokey, I have a worn out wilted list. Because I had to look up the plants we got at the Native Plant Sale, then find places to put them and plant them out. But they are done, some 39 plants later.

Let's see, we got,

Native Azalea (fragrant)
Columbines
Coreopsis 2 kinds
Poppy Mallow
Skullcap
Matchheads
Cutleaf Coneflower (rudbeckia)
Water Iris
Asters, 2 kinds
Salvia, red and pink
violas
Helianthus, the very tall ones
Wild ageratum
Ironweed
Blue Eyed Grass
Eryngium Aquiticum
Wild Pink Phlox

All these have been proven to survive and flourish out here on our place.

The best thing, my dgd helped!

Molly
:^)))

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Molly, Im glad to see columbine on your list. My daughter picked out three of those and when we got them home, plant files says they are only good to zone 8. I hope they make it. Also picked up a red anise bush. That is alot of planting for you. Soundls like you have good help.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

oh I love the reduced section and bargains . That was still there in one corner, but this was all the displays it was horrendous and they usually are pretty good there so I don't know what happened. It was enough to make you cry.

Sue glad the books are coming in handy. My H loved the Valentine thing you made it was perfect and is still on display on one of the bookshelves.
I have two lavender plants and they don't seem to be doing to well. I cannot remember the names.
I also have Rosemary and that is doing great, I run my hands over that one as well and the scent is gorgeous the blue flowers also have been lovely so maybe that may do better for you .Cuttings grow easy as well .

Wow, You have been busy Molly :)

Tampa, FL

yess, had one of those rosemary "Christmas trees", another wonderful fragrance...hmmm you have do me thinking? sue

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Will put on a picture of mine later ( having photo problems right now so asking for advice on the camera board here :(
I have Rosemary, geranium and oregano in the pot.
I can take cuttings for you from mine

Tampa, FL

Well, thank you dearie, but i will hold off for now...i actually have some plants that i don't know where i am going to place them...i just can't throw anything away! Our garden club is having a little in house fundraiser this week, so i will bring them to our auction, and hope someone bids on them! I am trying to downsize a bit...and it is not working..lol...sue

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well let me know if you change your mind :)

mm that downsizing never works there is always that got to have syndrome!

The Walmarts around me don't have the dollar sales. They either charge full price or they get a credit for the nursery and then throw them out. Same with Home Depot. Home Depot has told me to go dig them out of there dumpster. Personally I'm not willing to go dumpster diving for free plants. Walmart puts them through the trash compacter. So, I've stuck with Lowe's and there Clearence Racks. I've brought back alot of them that look dead. Some times Ican get a whole 5 teir rack of plants from anywhere from 5 to 10 dollars! Its just showing up on the right day. I also get Miracle grow potting mixes ... and other yard stuff 1/2 off if the bags are torn open. Same with wood fencing. If there is one board broken on say a piece of privacy fence; they sell it to me 1/2 off... I call this the Lowe's secret.

Tampa, FL

bsgardens, i do the same thing with their mulches, pebbles...i always buy the broken bags when i can...every penny counts! sue

************Got another Secret for all of you that do Mulching!!!!*****************

Call the companies that cut down trees, they usually put the trees through a mulcher and it ends up in the local land fill. If you call some of these companies they are more than willing to drop it off at your house for free. Or you can go to there location and you haul it off. The only down fall to this ... is ... that its usually by the truck load. -Dump truck size loads- Sometimes you can get a 1/2 a load. I had a 1 1/2 loads dumped in my driveway. Now I have a 7 1/2 vechicle drive way and a 25 sqft garden. - Shhhhh ... I didn't tell anyone this ... lol ...

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thats were we get some of our mulch from. We use it in the bigger areas and walkways. It comes complete with whatever might have killed a tree they took down, so I dont put it in the beds. It is rather lard shred to. And, like you said ...free.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.