Plant haves/wants for the DBG gathering

Denver Metro Area, CO(Zone 5a)

Here are some things that need whittling down in our yard.
HAVES:
Jupiters Beard (red valerian)
Red-hot poker (but I might need help dividing this bugger)
Russian sage (another that I might need some help with)
Assorted daylilies (probably reds, all with names/hybrids and some Stella d'oros)
A wayward trumpet vine??
Susan's Song Ranunculus (variegated buttercups)
Obedient plant (Physostegia Virginiana Alba...might have some lavender-colored in addition to the white)
Zebra Grass (like some others listed above--would love help digging this one)
Violets ("Freckles" white with lavender dots as well as the standard-variety of purple violets)
Ask me--I might have what you're looking for....

WANTS:
We have lost some roses bushes to borers so are hunting replacements.
Purple columbines
Salvias
penstamons
digitalis (established/well-rooted...I'm a seedling-killer, sadly)
hostas
We love signs to put onto our fence, painted rocks to put in the garden...anything
artsy-fartsy. Whatcha got??

edited to add salvias!

This message was edited Apr 6, 2008 6:13 PM

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Have--

Nepeta "Walker's Low" (LOTS!)
miniature iris (peach colored, no name)
Purple Oregano
Yarrow "Parker's Gold"
hens & chicks
sedum "dragon's blood"
Russian Sage (probably)
Lots of seeds (misc.)

Want--

Tall daylilies (like Hyperion)
Lamium
Sweet Woodruff
bergenia
tall phlox
sedum spurium (any)
oriental poppies

How tall is Hem. Hyperion, GJ? Methinks that my reds are likely not going to fill your needs (since it sounds like you might be wanting golds?). I do have So Lovely (yellow)....

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

looking for something 4' tall or better.

Nothing that tall, I'm sorry. Mine range from 18" to about 3' tall....

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Greenjay - are you looking for a particular Bergenia?
I have LOTS. Yes, I know I'm in the PNW, but I could FedEx to you.
Let me know - Kate

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

no particular variety, just a small amount to start up a colony in one of the few spots we have with enough moisture.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

These have been on my property for at least 20 years. They are in morning sun here with more than adequate moisture (I will not complain about the rain). Happy to send you a nice box full - dmail address to me if you want me to send. Also - what is the best time to send. K

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

mtnmama,
Red hot poker is a bugger to divide! In my previous yard, I grew one where the French drain from the back of the property let out. It grew so large and so strong that I had to use an axe to cut it back. The pieces that were left were not in a condition to be planted. From now on, I plant red hot poker in a dry place!
Good luck with that character -- but the hummingbirds love it.

It's in a dry place but it's very happy, here. It grows well and BLOOMS (tri-colored) so much that people walking by will ask about it! Still--a bugger to divide.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I hope not to bring home any plants and am not sure if I will have anything to trade. But the spirit is weak. Who knows what will happen!

Santa Fe, NM

I thought I was the only one to take an ax to the red hot poker! And I still have a big clump of it. I was potting it up and sending it home with everybody who would carry it away. Ditto with my ground cover violets. They are easier to dig up but spread like wild fire. The bees really love them, tho. Still not sure if I'll get to go to the sale. D.H. needs to confirm his Philly trip.

Freckles Violet is already in bloom, here. Maybe that's why I keep this one--early and prolific bloomer. It will spread but I have it surrounded by landscape fabric so it stays in one spot.

Hope you can make it, Roybird!

Paja--You know we're gonna tempt you beyond your ability to refuse taking something home ;)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

mtnmama,
You have caught into how week my self control is! I still have plants from the DBG sale last year that I haven't planted. But guess what, the rhododendron that Kenton brought me from Grand Junction, is still in its pot but it has buds on it!! It will get planted soon.

Paja, when it comes to a "purdy" plant, most of us would be glad to give one a home! Speaking of Kenton--have you heard from him?!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

On Kenton, I heard from him a few months ago. He is frantically working on his degree and isn't doing much else. I think I posted his web site. I will email it to you when I find it again.

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

Howdy! I think he mentioned he might be in town this weekend, not sure. Sorry I don't think I have any of the "want" plants. Marlon

have:
baby sun coreopsis

want:
most anything xeric, especially things that will do well in both sun and part shade.
shrubs
groundcovers
daylillies
poppies

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I posted most of what I'm bringing in the other thread, but I ran across a few other things I'm bringing as well. Most of my stuff is seedlings that I over planted.

Greenjay, I have cuttings I'm trying to root of both Lamium and Sweet Woodruff. They're from new plants I purchased that I cut back at planting. I was curious if they would root since I've never done it before. If you want to finish them up you're welcome to them. They've only been going a little over a week now, but they didn't die, so I guess that's got to be a good sign.

Mntmama, I have columbine I'm bringing, but not blue and they're all very small seedlings. Pink and red are what I have.

Wants:
Lavender, Any type really
Daylilies (the yellow and red Paj is bringing should be plenty, I just need a few to fill in)
Iris (Anything really, I've made a new Iris bed that I need to fill but I'll stick to left overs people don't want)
Echinacea (Any type)
Pincushion Flower (Scabiosa columbaria)
Nasturtiums (seeds or plants, I think plants are hard to transplant)
Blue Fescue

The more unusual stuff:
Martagon Lily
Rockfoil or Mossy Saxifrage
Rockcress
Corydalis lutea
'Gold Flame' Honeysuckle
Lavender Mist Meadow Rue (Thalictrum rochebrunianum)
Soapwort (Saponaria ocymoides)
Bluebells (mertensia virginica)
Limonium
Lewisia
Bletilla
Kenilworth Ivy

This message was edited May 7, 2009 3:44 AM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Looks like I will be bringing the day lilies in a large clump. We will have to divide them at the time. Time is short and I have way too much to do.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O I luv jumping up and down on a pitchfork dividing daylilies. The trip to the chocolate factory was very successful although my DH had to drag me out as they had many, many samples to be tried.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You are hired, Dahlia. I am bringing large clumps.
I already have Hyperion, but for those of you who don't it is, to me, one of the most beautiful day lilies. An old timer but it lacks nothing in its appearance.

Santa Fe, NM

I'm really annoyed that my finger is messed up because I really shouldn't be digging or getting dirt in it. So annoying!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Not to worry, roybird. If this year is like previous ones, there will be more plants than everyone can haul off. Just come and enjoy the fun.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

dibs on hyperion!
i will have a few iris divisions from plants that weren't going to bloom this year, or had to be moved for one reason or another, in addition to the dwarf blue irises mentioned earlier

I will dig up a clump of purple iris tonight. I fear you will get it as a clump in a plastic grocery bag though. No time to divide or pot them. Some have buds!

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

I am new to DBG,

What & when is this gathering?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

We have these twice each year on the occasion of the Denver Botanic Garden Plant sale. There is no formal arrangement, but we all go to the plant sale, then at lunch time, we go to someone's house. Various Denver DG members have volunteered their houses. Everyone brings a dish and the plants they would like to unload ( usually literally). Since one person's overflow is another person's treasure we exchange extras. We all go home with way too much stuff, and we have a nice potluck lunch at someone Denver person's house. I have attended 3, I think and have always had a good time and am still planting all the plants I acquired this spring. It is a lot of fun to meet the people we have been exchanging info with all year. This year we even had one of our Canadian members come.
The Denver Botanic Garden plant sales ( see the DBG web site) occur one in the spring and one in the fall. They introduce interesting plants to the area and sell them there. Plus Brent and Becky's puts on a bulb sale and the local herb society does the same. More plants than you can shake as stick at ( from my Southern lingo.) Great fun.
Do hang around the Rocky Mt. Forum and try to catch the fall sale. All Rocky Mt. Gardeners are invited. We had a terrific crowd this year.

Edited to change her society to herb society!

This message was edited Jul 26, 2009 11:22 AM

Fall plant sale info:
http://www.botanicgardens.org/content/fall-plant-and-bulb-sale
I haven't decided if I'll work this one yet. I had lots of fun working (volunteer cashier) the Spring sale.

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Denver Jude,

Thanks for the info! A fall trip on September 19, to Denver sounds great. Unfortunately I have no plants to trade as I am starting out from scratch at this house.

How the heck do I recognize anyone? Is there a secret handshake?

LOL

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Heyyy, a secret handshake...there's an idea!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The first time I drove up for DBG, Greenjay said she would be there wearing a tee shirt with a squirrel on it and sure enough that is how I found her and from her everyone else. The line waiting to go in is very friendly. Just get in line and talk to the person next to you. Pretty soon you will find the people you are hoping to meet. There isn't a sure fire method, but I have always found the Rocky Mt. Forum people rather easily.
I might add, that now we have an official DG Rocky Mountain Forum tee shirt and other paraphernalia designed by none other than Katlian -- with lots of input from the rest of us. When you see the DG tee you will recognize folks.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2009 8:13 PM

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

i still prefer the secret handshake
except my hands usually have a lot of dirt etc.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

^_^

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, the secret handshake is the best. I have to agree.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Dirt under the nails should be an essential part of the handshake.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Absolutely.

Nails? What are nails?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Well now, nails are places where we keep tiny little slices of our gardens.

Ahhh. I get it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.