Would I regret planting a Katsura here?

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

I want to put a Japanese Maple in this spot ... it's about 3 feet x 6 feet and gets some afternoon sun. I'd prefer something that is not red and grows tall like a tree, not a bush so I can plant underneath and around it.

I was at the nursery today and saw some gorgeous Katsuras just beginning to leaf out. It was about 6 feet tall, and maybe 2 feet wide. The tag said it would get to be 10 feet tall, but everything I've read said they can get as big as 30 feet tall! It was very tree like (I've also read they can be bushy) and it had a nice, witches broom shape to it.

Assuming it's slow growing like most maples, is it safe to consider this tree for this spot? Can I keep it pruned to keep it a small tree? I guess 30 feet would be okay, but probably won't happen in my lifetime. I just don't want it to outgrow the spot.

Other trees I was considering was a Wilson's Pink Dwarf that I recently purchased (not a dwarf at all, from what I hear) and a Peaches and Cream (but I think this spot gets too much sun for P & C).

What about an Oridono Nishiki?

Thanks for any opinions!

Thumbnail by roxysgarden
Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Wow, that sure looks narrow. The fence sections are about 8 feet wide? Whatever you choose will need to be oriented carefully, but if possible, you may wish to widen that bed some and plant it further out from the fence, at least 4 feet. You may also wish to check to see if you will be shading anything on the other side of the fence that needs sun. Katsura is a lovely tree, though! I don't know if it will work for you, but hope so.

Laura

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

Unfortunately, I can't really make that bed any wider ... it would make the whole area look out of proportion. It's just a small patch of grass surrounded by beds. I'm looking for something with some height in that area - most of what I have is low to the ground.

As a maple lover, I'm always trying to put a new maple wherever I can. Maybe the Katsura isn't the best choice, but something might be. :)

Thumbnail by roxysgarden
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Roxys you are very wise to consider that any Japanese maple will far outstrip it's stated size in your zone. I have some trees in that sort of space but it does keep continual pruning - I prune about three times per year - to keep them in those sorts of spots but it certainly can be done. The most important thing is to choose maples with short internodes. Any sun tolerant maple that is a good bonsai subject would be a possibility.

Here's a photo of a Katsura that has become a bonsai subject. Of course it doesn't have to be kept THAT small. :-)
home.versateladsl.be/graulusjl/acerpalmatum1.html
You'd just have to be brave and tenacious.

I believe that Katsura is a round headed tree and not generally upright. At least that's what I read.

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

Here's my Wilson's Pink Dwarf - it's approximately 3 feet tall and is just starting to bud out. I think it would be easy to keep the tree pruned in this space, but I worry about how much sun Wilson's can take. This spot gets morning shade, afternoon sun and late afternoon/evening shade again. Does anyone have any experience with the Wilson's Pink Dwarf?

I'm still looking for an excuse to buy that Katsura. I actually have a Katsura already, but it's only about 18 inches tall at 3 years old. It IS very slow growing, and I think I could keep it pruned to fit the space as it grows.

Thumbnail by roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

Imagine THIS at 6 feet tall in my garden! (This is only 18 inches tall, but I just love that color)

Thumbnail by roxysgarden
Danville, IN

It seems that both varieties can be kept small indefinitely, so either should be fine with some attention. I'd say either would look great. Good luck.

Here's is a pic of a taller one taken at a local nursery yesterday. The color changes to green later.

This was quite a lopsided tree. The size is probably 5 feet tall. I'll see if I have a wider angle picture of it among the trees.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2008 7:43 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

I think from the tag positions that it is the taller tree in middle of this photo.

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom

Here are Katsura leaves.

Thumbnail by largosmom

This is another from the nursery, Orangeola.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Leaves on the Orangeola.

Just realized I added these to the wrong thread, sorry! I meant to put them in the "Spring Show" thread, lol.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2008 8:27 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom
Danville, IN

Hey! We enjoyed them on this thread too! No problem.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What are you thinking Roxy? Remember that any tree will grow a lot faster in the ground than it will in a pot. That might be the answer if you are a better pot waterer than I am - that is to leave the tree in a pot.

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

I haven't decided yet ... I have a lot of my maples in pots. Before I started investing in larger trees, I bought several small JM's that are now in pots and doing well. It will be years before they grow large enough to be substantial enough to put in the garden!

I'm still concerned about the Wilson's Pink Dwarf getting too much sun in that spot. I'm hesitant to plant it there, and will probably put it in a pot in that location for a while instead so I can move it easily and check it's sun tolerance this year before planting it in the ground. It might look funny, but at least I won't kill the poor thing.

I'm still dreaming of that Katsura ... the only space I have that could accomodate Katsura growing to full size is already occupied with a Tamukeyama that I planted last year. I need a bigger yard!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh boy do I know that feeling!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.