Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Japanese Maples: Would I regret planting a Katsura here?, 1 by roxysgarden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright roxysgarden

Subject: Would I regret planting a Katsura here?

Forum: Japanese Maples

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Would I regret planting a Katsura here?
roxysgarden wrote:
I want to put a Japanese Maple in this spot ... it's about 3 feet x 6 feet and gets some afternoon sun. I'd prefer something that is not red and grows tall like a tree, not a bush so I can plant underneath and around it.

I was at the nursery today and saw some gorgeous Katsuras just beginning to leaf out. It was about 6 feet tall, and maybe 2 feet wide. The tag said it would get to be 10 feet tall, but everything I've read said they can get as big as 30 feet tall! It was very tree like (I've also read they can be bushy) and it had a nice, witches broom shape to it.

Assuming it's slow growing like most maples, is it safe to consider this tree for this spot? Can I keep it pruned to keep it a small tree? I guess 30 feet would be okay, but probably won't happen in my lifetime. I just don't want it to outgrow the spot.

Other trees I was considering was a Wilson's Pink Dwarf that I recently purchased (not a dwarf at all, from what I hear) and a Peaches and Cream (but I think this spot gets too much sun for P & C).

What about an Oridono Nishiki?

Thanks for any opinions!