Red trumpet vine

Cave Creek, AZ

Has anyone tried growing trumpet vines by seed?
Mickey

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

Apparently not! Heh.

Considering that once you have one, you eventually get a big tangled mass, so I'd guess that they self seed easily enough. I've never tried it, but they're supposed to root well from cuttings too.

You mean Campsis radicans, right?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

They really don't seem to self seed but eventually campsis radicans puts up all sorts of plants from the roots which don't always transplant easily but worth a try.

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

I considered starting a few trumpet vines from seed myself, but from what I've read the cuttings do better. Here is one site I found that has good info on starting the seeds (bottom of the page): http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/plantguides/vines/plantguide.asp?symbol=CARA2

Clips from the page:
"Seeds are prepared for germination by stratifying them in moist sand for 60 days at 4oC and 30% relative humidity. Fungicide should be added to the sand to prevent mildew formation. For spring outplanting, seeds are sown in early fall. Sixty percent germination will occur within two weeks of removal from stratification conditions. There is no special treatment required for establishment other than monitoring for water needs... Seedlings will need to harden in winter-like temperatures before outplanting."

Hope this helps you,
Sundownr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.