Cherry Blossoms in DC?

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

I am wondering if anyone in the DC area can tell me if the cherry trees are blossoming yet. DH and I are thinking about going down next weekend. Wondering if this would be good timing. If not, when do they bloom?

Thanks,

Jen

Shenandoah Valley, VA

National Park Service forecasts dates for the Yoshino cherry trees around the Tidal Basin and East Potomac Park -- 2008 Peak Bloom: March 27-April 3 (2008 Bloom Period: March 26-April 9)
http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/cms/index.php?id=390

http://www.nps.gov/nama/planyourvisit/cherry-blossom-web-cam.htm cherry blossom cam

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Yup, I saw that site. I was just wondering if someone who actually lived or worked in the area, could tell me the current status.

Thanks.

Cherry Blossom cam doesn't work for me.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2008 6:46 PM

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I believe that they were at their peak last weekend, no? I haven't been downtown to confirm, but local news said that last weekend. I'm about 10 miles north and we have cherry and other trees in full bloom right now.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

About mid-way down this page is a link to photos of 2008 cherry blossoms, so that should help: http://www.nbc4.com/index.html

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

According to this article, March 30 may have been the peak day this year: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/28/AR2008032803603.html

BUT, according to this site, peak bloom was expected to continue until yesterday, with bloom continuing for another week or so. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/cityguide/features/2008/cherry-blossom-festival/index.html

It has been fairly chilly and rainy, which would delay the blooms -- but I think it is supposed to rain tonight, and if the blossoms have opened, that will not do the display any good.

But we'd love to have you visit our fair city anyway!

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Yes, usually the first week of April is the best time to come out and see them. I haven't been down to the Tidal Basin, either, but cherries in my neighborhood are "out." So are the forsythias!! Enjoy!!

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Thanks. That's what we figured. We've both been to DC before, but not during Cherry Blossom time. It was a spur of the moment thought. If I hadn't had my arm in a sling yesterday due to tendonitis, we would have hopped in the car and went just for the heck of it. I'll just have to look at our own Cherry Blossoms up this way when they show up.

Here's a picture of my weeping cherry in my front yard...from a couple of years ago.

Thanks again!

Thumbnail by jenhillphoto
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Beautiful! Sorry you didn't make it to DC!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

& it figures that today was a beautiful day in spite of a rainy forecast

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Isn't it frustrating? I had planned my weekend around gardening all day tomorrow, but not today.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I just noticed that my face is sunburned.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

jenhill- you might look into the cherries at Nat;l Arboretum instead of Tida Basin crowd. We went a couple yrs ago talk about a massive crowd. wrightie, have you ever gone to Natl Arb for cherries? My party poopers wouldn't do it last weekend- well we didn't quite have the time anyway.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

No, but I like the way you think, SG! I'm trying to imagine where the arboretum cherries are located, if not all over the park? Hmmm ... I wonder if they allow dogs ... thanks for the idea, Sally!

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Yes, we had planned to go to the arboretum as well. I even called to ask them about the trees, but it was 5:00 and they close at 4:30 so no one was there to answer the phone. They do list on their website what's in bloom from week to week.

So my consolation prize is, today I get to go to the orchid show at the New York Botanical Garden, with my mom. It's the last day. Today's her birthday and she loves orchids.

Thanks for all the input! Next year, we will plan to go and not leave it to the last minute.

Jen

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm considering putting a cherry tree in my front yard -- I've been mulling over cultivars. So maybe by next year you can come see mine!

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Jen,

I was away the week of Easter, then home for a few days, then back on the road, so I just came across your posting and question about the Cherry Blossoms. Obviously, you've gotten your answer! Hope the orchid show was grand.

Living just outside of DC, I'm very fortunate to be able to make a last minute decision on the timing of my annual expedition to see and photograph the beautiful display that the Cherry Blossoms put on each year. This year was dicey, due to my schedule and the windy and rainy weather we've been having.

But I was able to dash down there last Tuesday and spend a few hours just strolling around, taking pictures, and enjoying the day. Monday might have been better, since the high that day was 77! Although rain (possible thunderstorms) and wind had been predicted, it never materialized. Frustrating, but luckily, Tuesday dawned bright and sunny, but a little cooler.

Anyway. Here are some of the photos I took so you can enjoy the blossoms vicariously, and hopefully, you'll be able to come down next year!

Barb

Thumbnail by DaylilyDiva219

Here's another close-up shot...

And of course, I had to take a shot of the Jefferson Memorial, across the Tidal Basin, framed by the blossoms. The paddle boaters were also out in force that afternoon - it was a lovely day!

And finally, as I made my way around the Tidal Basin, the breeze died down a little bit, and I was able to get a neat picture of the Washington Monument, and its reflection in the water.

Enjoy - I had fun looking at them again on a dark and dreary day like today!

Barb

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous pictures of the Cherry blossoms, monuments and Tidal Basin. They should be picture post cards!

Oh Gosh, thanks so much for the compliment! I'm glad you liked them. I love to take pictures and this particular "expedition" is an annual treat to myself. No matter how grumpy I might be before going, just strolling around such a place on a lovely day really lifts my spirits.

Regards, Barb

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Nice pics Barb. Thanks for sharing!

You're more than welcome, Jen. Glad you enjoyed them, and I hope you can see them in person some day. It's worth the trip!

How was the Orchid Show?

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

The orchid show was great. Very crowded. I guess the last day is that way.

Glad it was great! That's one flower/plant that I love to look at, but cannot imagine actually growing! ;->

I think you're right - the last day(s) of any show are always crowded, especially on weekends.

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

I agree. I know nothing of orchids. I just like the way they look. I bought my first orchid plant at the show. How could I resist? I guess I should be spending my time reading up on caring for orchids.

...and don't forget there's an Orchids forum right here on Dave's Garden! ;-)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Not quite as good as the festival, but here's my yoshino blooming today

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

A view from my front yard through a branch

Thumbnail by hart
Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Very pretty!

Just lovely, hart! How nice that you've got such pretty blossoms in your front yard - I have to travel to see them. ;-)

Thanks for sharing,

Barb

Shenandoah Valley, VA

The scent is really nice this year too. I have the front door open and the whole house smells like cherry blossoms.

Germantown, MD

Here is a local blog on Cherry Trees in DC BESIDES the Tidal Basin:

http://washingtongardener.blogspot.com/2008/03/cherry-alternatives.html

I can attest that the USNA ones are very nice right now plus those early azaleas on the hill are worth the trip

- Amy

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Yes, the National Arboretum is always worth a trip. Plus, it isn't as packed with people like the Tidal Basin!! Thanks for the blog link!!

The cherries in the Asian Garden are wonderful!! The azaleas started already?? Ours are still closed but getting ready to pop!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.