Starting Cosmos and Zinnia

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I am in z6 and we have had funny weather all winter and now that spring is here it's even stranger. 70 one day then down to 20 at night on other days. Do you think it's safe to start my cosmos and zinnias now? I noticed some dahlias were up the other day and seem to be doing OK...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

When to start the tenders is always something of a crap shoot with wintersowing. When I do them, it is with the idea in mind that in case of a frost/freeze after they germinate, I will give them protection. I leave the hardy stuff pretty much on it's own in the jug and it is generally fine, it's just those touchy tender ones that need our help.

Karen

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Karen what kind of protection do you give them? Extra cover ups or do you bring them inside?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

According to Trudi, you should never bring wintersown plants into a heated house. My friend tried that with a lot of different wintersown tender plants last year and they all died. I've never done that.

For light frost I flip the milk jug closed and cover with a blanket. In case of hard freeze, it put them into my unheated garage overnight. So far this has worked well for me with several types of WS tender plants.

Karen

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Karen, I do have an unheated garage right next to where my WS area is. I will get them started...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.