What did you buy for 2008?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Keep in mind two trunks twisted together would compete with one another if in fact they are two trees and not just two main leaders out of a buried graft... it is hard to tell from the picture...either way they would compete and likely be smaller than one the same age ... so that comparison likely will not tell you much ...you could ask the owner to check with the grower it's just an email and you probably paid enough he will be glad to do so as he would like to keep you as a customer. Many west coast growers do pump their trees up with advanced growing ttechniques great growing conditions and plenty of fertilizer...but the bark coloration is a pretty good sign of age IMHO David

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I think I will check with the owner. Now I'm quite curious. I'll let ya know if I find out.

One more question that you'll probably know the answer to...when I saw the delivery truck pull in to my yard, I was very disappointed in the care they took to protect it for the trip (half hour of travel at highway speeds). They had the tree standing up, a hoop system over it and then breathable cloth over the hoop. But one big section of the cloth had come undone and was flapping in the breeze. The very tips of some of the leaves are now dried up . Since I inspected the tree very carefully a week ago when I bought it and it was perfect, I can only assume it suffered windburn on the trip. Is there anything I can do to prevent more browning over the next few days?

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful little tree. How much sun is it getting now? If it has a bit of windburn on some leaves, it is likely not damaged in the long run, just not as pretty this season.

Laura

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

yes laura is correct . but her question on sun is important ... you are pretty far north so it probably is not as big of problem especially in the long run and with an older tree . the question would be more aptly put was it under shade cloth before you got it ...and in full sun now . if so you will likely see more tip and leaf browing (this year) ... And yes wind burn from the truck could have done that but it is likly it would get some the first year anyway. It would be nice to think that an expensive JM would like pristine the minute ya get it and stay that way but that is not ususally the case ... as Laura said next year it should be fine...but in full sun if you have a really hot period you may still see some damage much less in your area I would assume than laura's. To be honest it takes almost perfect siting and growing areas to have Jm's that pristine and to have them look like yours does now all summer is even in Oregon and other maple friendly spots even in Doss's yard is virtually impossible. I personally never "show off" my forest mid summmer only spring , early summer , and fall ;>) David

thanks again Laura and David. It was not under a shade cloth at the nursery but I don't know how much sun it was sitting in there. The spot it is in now receives filtered morning sun, full sun between about 11am and 2pm, then it is filtered again until about 4pm. My older, established JM looks great all season - never gets burned leaves. So I'm hoping after this year ;my new will have the same luck of looking great all season :o) The one I bought last year (also larger and older) did get browned leaves in mid-late July but it was under a shade cloth at the nursery. So far this year it is perfect (crossing fingers).

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Almost all of my trees are burned by August and the first year is always hard on them. Your siting sounds really good - red maples need some sun to keep their color. I've even had trees defoliate their first year and come back fine. It's a beautiful tree.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Like anything else in life perfection is never ( or seldom) achieved... it should be fine ...my point was really JM's are not a great tree for folks looking for perfection which is hard sometimes to take since they are one of the worlds prettiest trees ...ALL cultivars IMHO. But if you are already taking Zanex (sp?) it is probably a tree you should have and STAY on your meds:>) . For those folks all Jm's should come with a free consultation with a therapist ;>)... Not that you or anyone reading this has this problem but you hopfully see my point... kind of like getting the first scratch on your new car .. for me it's almost a relief for others it may be a traumatizing situation ;.) David

I can assure you I'll be needing meds if this one starts showing signs of serious stress ;o) If that happens, at least I'll know I'm not alone!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

From posts way above....who may I ask, is Dave?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.