What did you buy for 2008?

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

So, what did everyone end up buying (or plans to buy) in 2008?

My sole purchase for the year is A.p. 'Pixie'

Elizabeth

This message was edited Jun 28, 2008 7:44 PM

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I would be VERY careful with all of those except Red Dragon and possibly Waterfall ...I would go so far to say if I were you I would keep all but those two containerized . All of those are either delicate or early budders including Pixie which should be super hardy but isn't in my experience .And everyone should remember from last spring how hardy any dissectum is comparitivly ...considerably less than any non dissectum ( I think if you did a survey the majority of Kaputted Jm's last spring were overwhelmingly ...dissectums. On the other hand using a once in 50 year freeze should only be used for inter comparison purposes ...not comparing general hardiness. But from that experience I think you can comfortably say "most" dissectums tend to be less hardy and should be afforded greater protection... David

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

David, I edited my post to add that all will be containerized. I know most of these would not make it outside in zone 5a completely exposed to the elements. Eventually I might plant the 'waterfall' and 'pixie' outside, but I would not try it with any of the others.

Elizabeth

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

shishigashira is the only new one this year, although you never know what might transpire with a trip to the Woods Creek Nursery. JM's have a tendency to just jump into your arms. This lovely is eager to burst out, much earlier than the rest.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Winnetka, IL

I got a 3' 'Viridis' at Park Seed for $25! I'm pretty much maxed out, space-wise, but I do have to find a new spot for my 'Kamagata'.... does that count as new? ; )

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

New so far this year is Beni Schichihenge and Ukigumo which have already arrived via mail order. Uki looks great, Beni not so good, a couple branches did not leaf out although the buds were beginning to open and stopped.

Yet to arrive are Carnival and Oridono from a different mail order company. Suppose to arrive end of next week by stage coach as I was told they shipped this past Wednesday. I'll be interested to see how they survive, I'm a bit concerned about the 10 day trip.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm all maxed out of JM space including pots. I've only allowed myself 4 of them and they are all full of wonderful trees already. My garden is so complicated as it is that adding a whole lot of potted trees sounds just too difficult.

Just a heads up - do remember to check the drainage this spring. I lost a wonderful hosta this past winter to a plugged pot. :-(

Danville, IN

I actually bought it last summer, but it's "new" to most areas of the country and will actually have its first spring showing this month... 'Shirazz' or 'Gwenn's Rose Delight'. Can't wait to see what it looks like fresh in the spring.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Well, this winter, I bought Geisha, Baby Lace, and a large Aconitifolium. Then I got Hogyoku, Mikawa Yatsubusa, and a tiny Acer shirasawanum Aureum. The Yatsubusa and Aureum are going into miniature gardens. Geisha and Baby Lace are already in pots. Hogyoku will get planted into the ground, just not sure where yet! I looks like a good grower, so it will probably go into a pot for this year.

Laura

Walhalla, SC

Well I grafted quite a few varieties that I didn't previously have and purchased a few fillers, but Fairyhair, Yuri hime, shirasawanum Moonrise, and Olsen's frosted strawberry are the new ones I am excited about this spring.

Matt, can's say I've heard of any but Fairy Hair, would love to see pics of them when you get a chance.

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Laura, here is a photo of my tiny Fairy Hair last year. It was the first year at my house. I'll have to take a photo of it this year too. It's hard to photograph because the leaves are so fine. This photo was taken May 25 so it was totally leafed out.

Thumbnail by doss
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Matt, I would be very interested in hearing about your 'Olean's frosted strawberry'! It is on my short list. Supposedly a great plant, not so great name.

Elizabeth

Lovely little tree, Doss.

Laura

Walhalla, SC

I'll keep you updated but here is the first splash of color from a few days ago on Olsen's frosted strawberry.

This is not a really good indicator of color it is actually quite similar to the shin deshojo/chishio improved colors when they first emerge at this stage. It does have a slight orangy overtone but it is very close to a good red color. The veins are becoming more visible now but the colors haven't started separating quite yet.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2008 9:16 PM

Thumbnail by mattlwfowler
Walhalla, SC

Just a little update on Olsen's frosted strawberry.

Walhalla, SC

Here is my small yuri hime. It could be approximated as a dwarf form of kamagata, forming a dense mound. There is a much better picture in Gregory's handbook.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Yuri hime ( pronounced "you ree he may") is a bit more twiggy than Kamagata at least mine is .. there are actually two forms a longer leafed variety which is the original and a shorter leaf one which is similar in every respect but that.Mine I would say is almost full grown ...It seems to have a death wish ...first it was boxed and not shipped for a week ...it came in with hot wet leaves which mostly kaputted . then I made the misake of giving it too much sun and not enough water..yatayuatayata but it did fine in my unheated shed last winter but has not completly leafed on one side so the jury is out on what mine will look like...but it has survived ...It was more expensive than I usually pay for a plant about 135$$ but hard to find. I grafted a bit of it this year and they all "seemed" to have taken ...so why it would be "rare" is not clear..usually that is the reason ...hard to graft = expensive and hard to obtain.and from what I have seemed glimpses of so far a real winner of the dwarf genre.. David

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Here are two new arrivals from Forest Farm. Acer Campestre or Carnival variegated hedge maple and Orido Nishiki.

Very impressed with the packaging and condition of the trees. I bought two others from Wildwood and these are just as good of not better.

Thumbnail by wha
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Have yet to buy one. Have to replace a 9' Ever Red, mostly dead from last years Easter freeze. Only one limb on the bottom is going to leaf out. It's dead from the lowest limb on up. Can't decide what I want. Other than 50 year freak spring freezes the location is JM perfect, as much as possible for Zone5 bordering on 6. Any suggestions?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Lovely little trees wha.

No suggestions, I am afraid. I'm in a much warmer area.

Nice packaging on those little trees! Hope to see more of them.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks - now I just have to figure out where to plant them.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I've narrowed my selections to:

Ariadne
Goshiki Shidare
Omure Yama
Ukigumo

Researching sources.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2008 4:07 PM

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

Just today I bought:

Aratama
Mikawa yatsubusa
Kamagata

A few weeks ago I bought:

Wilson's Pink Dwarf

I'll post photos soon! I'm very excited about these ... my credit card isn't so excited though. :)

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Aratama is a bit touchy seems to need more perfect conditions for some reason .best keep an eye on it I have lost two It does NOT like it too wet and does NOT like sun much but needs it to look best ...which is true of many JM's ..Wilsons is a great tree but is not hardy which shouldn't matter to you it leafs out very early. Of Snapple's the Ariadne is the most problematic from what I have heard and read ...it is not a real new plant but hard to find especially of size which would give creedence to the 'troublsome nature" rumore...All others on these last two lists are winners and " realtively"easy to grow even in non perfect conditions and borderline areas.David

Walhalla, SC

I really love aratama in the spring, it is probably my showiest dwarf (although I prefer mikawa yatsubusa and shishigashira as dwarfs in habit, I can't think of a better looking red dwarf). Here is my aratama from earlier this week:

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm still waiting for my Ariadne to do something...still no swelling on the buds. Snapple, you are only half a zone warmer than I am - Ariadne would probably not survive outside. Mine is containerized and overwintered in the garage; I purchased it last fall as a baby graft. It is tiny, about 10" high right now. However, I paid something like $28 for it, so I don't have a lot invested!

I went to my two favorite local nurseries today, one had a few JMs budding out (which I hope they put inside tonight, we are supposed to get a freeze). I just can't afford the $250 - $350 they are asking for decent sized specimens, I would rather take the risk of losing a few but having more unusual and varied things. My feeling is that if I want instant impact in an area, there are always annuals.

Elizabeth

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

Here's a photo of my Aratama - it's about 3 1/2 feet tall, so I'm hoping it will do well here. Not sure if I'm going to find a place to put it in the ground or find a nice pot for it. I'm hoping mine will survive! I keep hearing about how wonderful my area is for JM's!

This message was edited Apr 13, 2008 8:53 AM

Thumbnail by roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

And here's my Mikawa yatsubusa - it's also about 3 feet. I'm finding I'd rather spend a little more and get bigger, more substantial trees than wait for small ones to grow. :) This one was the most expensive of the ones I bought this spring.

Thumbnail by roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

And here's a closeup of the leaves just opening ...

Thumbnail by roxysgarden
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I don't think you will have problems with the Aratama in your area ... it is just not one I would readily reccomend for colder areas or areas not perfect for JM's ...fom my experience ...It is a really beautiful tree and I am not knocking it for anything other than it seems fussy... for your area I would just make sure it drains well and is not constantly wet knowing you probably get alot of rain and cooler temps ??? David

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

None, yet-I have 16 small 1-2 yr. grafts to pot up to 1 gallon. Despite being in small pots (I should have potted them up last fall), most of them survived- (I only lost 4 & one of them, I saw a squirrel jump on & wrestle it to death, before I had a chance to intervene). If I do get any new ones, I will either try & replace the small ones I lost or get a nice big one from Della, to ease my pain...

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi
I have a eaten japanese maple. It is barely coming back, from the lower trunk it looks like, one
of the thready maroon typical ones. My geese had eaten it, so now the geese are gone.

I am looking for a full moon smaller japanese maple. I cannot afford to pay $100 for a tree.

anyone know where in michigan, the west side, I could find some nice ones?

thank you
sheri
please dmail me if you know of any specifically

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Try here. According to their catalog they have a wide selection in small sizes. If you do go, it is best to take someone with you who that will only let you have your cash/credit card under a pre-arranged agreement. Otherwise it could be curtains for your budget. It is a fabulous place. I also highly recommend Della. Your money will go a lot farther there. See the second link. She ships exceptional stock at wonderfully reasonable prices.

http://www.geefarms.com

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/811627/

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I just bought an aratama too. It will replace the Beni Fushigi which turns out is going to be a huge tree and it's in a small space. When I bought it they said that it would be 9 feet tall and Greer's says 12-18 so I'm thinking of taking down a mature olive tree and planting the Beni there. I hate to cut down a mature tree but I do love the Beni Fushigi.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Here are four new ones received this week.

orangeola from Forest Farm

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

autumn moon - ff

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

beni kawa from Wildwood

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and last, not least is omurayama from wildwood.

all four were adv. as 3 ft. and trees were roughly same price. shipping from FF is expensive $50 more and very robust. happy with all.

Thumbnail by wha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.