Signs of spring- What do you have blooming?

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Thank you for sharing! I took a picture of some hyacinths yesterday.

Thumbnail by Meredith79
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Meredith (but not Cactuspatch), The anemones are a little tricky for the people with cold winters.

When you get the tuber-things, they are hard and black. You soak them in warm water for 24 hours and they triple in size. Then plant them 3" deep. In the fall, when you see them for sale, they will root right away, but then they get zapped by the cold. In the spring, though, the soil is way colder, even though the air temps are nice and even, and the bulbs rot. -- Tabasco and I had a thread on it last year...mine rotted :))

They prefer the nice cool temps you have in NH, but for some reason they won't root in the spring. You need to root them in potting soil in the house, or wait until the soil gets to be at least 60 degrees. I am pretty sure as soon as you see the foliage yo can put them in the ground, it's just that they can't take the cold and wet when they have no roots.

Suzy

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

cactuspatch. I have grown them in California and here in Oregon.
I have never had to water them as both areas received ample spring
rain. I find here in Oregon that I get random blooms popping up year round. Not like the show going on now, but a nice surprise once in a while. I am not familiar with NM weather...but if you plant them in an existing flowerbed that gets regular watering, I think they will work for anybody. Just poke a hole in the ground,add the little bulb...cover with soil..and wait... so easy!
Hope this helped some.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Gosh, I wish someone would have told me about the soaking part.... I put in 6 and got 3 plants, and one bloom. Grrr...

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

The gardens and spring blooms are sooo.. beautiful.
I have had good luck with this little anemone: it is blooming now and seems to multiply well.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

The bluebells are in full bloom.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

The redbuds

Thumbnail by gardengus
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

and bleedinghearts

Thumbnail by gardengus
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Our neighbors redbuds were in bloom last month, I just love them! I miss my bleeding heart. It died of old age I guess.
Thanks for the info on anemones. I think I have actually had them before and got them already blooming in pots. But they didn't come back the next year. Our weather is perfect here, except for rain last year we got plenty and this year drought. We have not had any in my yard this year. So of course all my roses get watered and I have a drip system. Just that I like plants that are not what I call "pansy type plants" by that I mean they can take heat and dry if I am out of town and the drippers clog. I may give them a try again though!

gardengus - great photos! I really want some of those anemones. Is it odd that blooming bulbs has them available now? and the pink type are not available until fall. Suzy I think I'll order them and try what you recomend thank you :) Putting that in a memo, and placing my order now :)

Yay! Finally, I have stuff to add!!

Clematis (don't know which type.... purchased from the dead-and-dying rack at Lowes)

Thumbnail by Pagancat

The Clematis is growing at the stairs on my porch at the end of this line...

Thumbnail by Pagancat

I'll do a better picture of this Dianthus when it's not surrounded by weeds, lol...

Thumbnail by Pagancat

Okay, I didn't really grow this, per se, but it did grow in my yard!

Thumbnail by Pagancat

Does anyone know what these are? I know I've seen them in catalogs.

Once again, not that I planted it...

... but it's blanketing the floor of the woods next to the house...

Thumbnail by Pagancat
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Lovely photo of the spider web in the fruit tree!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Your woods look so pretty with that white flower--I wonder what it is, too? How about a close-up?

And your little orphaned clematis is so pretty in that line-up!

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

pagancat - I love that woodland shot! Just gorgeous.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

A darling pansy was staring up at me today!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

BeaHive, what a sweet pansy. I never get tired of the little faces :0)

Pagancat, great color on the dianthus. do you have a name? your woods are wonderful!

gardengus, everything is beautiful. I love redbud. My neighbor has a small one they rescued from somewhere on sale a couple of years ago. It's just starting to look like something other than a stick. Just came into bloom the last couple of days and it's beautiful.

Aubretia (false rock cress) wintersown last year. I had about 25 plants along a rock wall. Not sure how many made it thru the winter. Looks like a lot of them will be the purple color. In another year or two they should fill in pretty well and really look like something.

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

some free daff bulbs that I got with another purchase. I didn't know what to do with them so I threw them in the back behind these spruce trees. they really are beautiful

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I should have gotten close-ups. grape hyacinth used to have some daffodils, but the daffs petered out. I should get more and replant the whole thing. It was so pretty. and I could move some of the muscari.

the pink is 'Fort Hill' creeping phlox. there are several more along the row. I think they would spread more if it weren't so well mulched

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

PJM Rhodie. the landscapers favorite. I have 2 more on the other side of the house. I really want to get some other colors.

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

a very fuzzy pic of some very old 'Angelique ' tulips. they are still pretty, though

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

'White Lion' and some other daff that was mislabelled but is very pretty. there are also tulips coming along

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

winter heath (not sure which one)

Thumbnail by grampapa

grampapa--looks like spring has sprung at your place!

And I especially like the aubrieta-- I must try to wintersow some of that next year, too.

Does anyone know what the 'PJM' stands for with the Azaleas? I just got one delivered by the landscaper, too. Are they not so good to have? Too ordinary? Mmmmm....

LOL - all I know about azaleas is that they're supposed to be poisonous to horses and that they love acidic soil. After that, I'm not a bit of help!

I really like those 'Angelique' tulips - I would've thought they were daffs, lol.

The Aubretia - I'm going to have to look that puppy up.

I ordered those anemone from blooming bulb. They picture shows ones that look like gardengus photo. The thing with them not rooting in fall must be why they are available now.

My redbud is starting to bloom but it is still young and not showy enough for a good picture, but here are my bleeding hearts starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

grampapa, is there a trick to getting heaths to bloom? I read up on it and tried to prune it when the flowers faded, but I think I did it too late because only one has a fare amount of blooms. When I bought them they were blooming alot like yours.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

Some violets that I bought for containers last year thinking they were annuals. They are back and decided to reseed around the garden.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

Pretty, pretty - but are those really violets? My violets all have heart shaped leaves - ? regardless, they are definitely violet!

All of our redbuds are just ending their blooms - it's fun to [cyber] watch the season go in waves over the country... do you have dogwoods in NH?

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Pagancat, according to the song, dogwoods only grow south of Cincinnati. Don't know how accurate that is, but if Dwight Yoakum sings it, it's good enough for me!

Oh pagan, I don't know if those are actually violets. I think the tag just said viola, they are probably some type of pansy. They seem like a reliable perennial because those are where I put the original plants and they look good as new to me :)
There are some beautiful old trees on an industrial lot near here, that will bloom soon. They may be dogwoods, but I'm not sure - I will have to get a picture of them when they bloom to share. I don't have any dogwoods, but they are around here. I think most people have bad luck with them getting disease though. That's why I haven't been too eager to get any. It is totally cool to see the wave of blooms because I am about same with gram but so far behind others :)

Sorry, Brigid - Dwight Yoakum is safely in your care. I was raised outside of Motown and have never been able to work up much appetite for Country, try as I may. Even lived in TX, learned how to 2 step, but once out of the club...

Ah, yes - violas. Sounds like the area between annual and perennial is a little muddy for them - you might find this interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansy

Yours might be the perfect climate!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Dwight Yoakum...LOL! Dogwoods grow and bloom in Indianapoliis and also Chicago, so I'm pretty sure it's artistic license on the country song.

Gram, Is there a secret to growing the creeping Phlox? I would love a big pile of it like that, but at its best it's just a few scraggly runners here (at my house). I have even bought a giant square somebody pulled out of her garden, and no go.

My violas and pansies are in bloom, too. And the creeping phlox, two azaleas, lilacs and border iris. And the 'fragrant rose' daff still in bloom...

I don't have the secret for creeping phlox either, other than they like to be along rock walls and there are different cultivars for different climate and placement requirements. Can't remember now where I read about which ones go where, though. This is the first year I have had a fairly decent show of them...

Thumbnail by tabasco

Well, I'd guess Dwight is best known for attributes other than his horticultural knowledge ... >smile< ...

I'm sorry, Grampapa - you had asked what kind of Dianthus that was, it's 'Firewitch'. Man, talking about a bright spot!

Tabasco, I just noticed that the pic of that flower didn't post (user error, I'm sure!) so lemme try again ... any ideas?

Thumbnail by Pagancat
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

The daffodils are finally blooming, and have been for about a week. :)

I have no clue what variety these are.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.