Vines and Roses

Napa, CA(Zone 9b)

Good Morning!

I just love vines. My favorite garden style is "drippy". I was reading on propogating Clematis with internodal cuttings, would you say that is true for most all vines? They seem like they would be fairly easy to strike? Lonicera, Passifolra, Bignonia, Actinidia are a few I want to try. Any tips? Should I wait a few weks to take the cuttings as they are in active new, soft growth or some have not begun really growing?

Roses: are they as straightforward as they look as far as rooting? About how long does it take? A cutting today will produce a garden ready plant in a couple of years?

Thanks again.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Roses are easy -- They need heat, light, but not sun, and a lot of misting. The Pioneer ladies put them under a glass jar and just poked them in the garden, so I did the same thing (with Rootone) and it worked lie a charm.

Clematis are hard. LOL! The Clem people use an aquarium bubbler to assist. There will be a lot of threads in that forum, but I personally have had no luck.

Passifloras & Lonicera are probably easy. I say that because ASA in Florida sent me a rooted cutting and it grew like the weed it is. With both, you can just layer form an existing plant, but if you don't have the plant or it might be sold out from under you, you have to get the cutting in your paws...then I'm not sure.

Have no idea on Bignonias, but I really want one :)) (Not hardy, so it would be an annual and I'm not up to that yet)

Suzy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

With the roses I'd also check if yours are own-root roses or grafted...if they're own root then the cuttings ought to be great. If they're grafted, you should still be able to root them but you ought to investigate the reason why the rose wasn't being grown on its own roots in the first place and decide if you really want to grow it on its own roots or not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.