Calling all Dog lovers - Sat. 4/5: "BARK in the PARK" Event

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

This event will be held on Saturday in Annapolis, MD:

Quoting:
Mid Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League invites ALL BREEDS for a full day of fun at Quiet Waters Park!! http://www.aacounty.org/RecParks/parks/quiet_waters_park/

This is a FREE EVENT, INCLUDING YOUR ENTRANCE INTO THE PARK. (Just mention the event as you enter).
This is just a small sampling of what you have to look forward to:

*Freestyle dance demonstration with your dog
*An introduction to Rally
*A HUGE RAFFLE TABLE with fabulous doggy items for you and your dog (bring your cash. You will want it all!)
*Mobile Veterinary Services offering rabies vaccines, heartworm checks, micro chipping and nail clipping http://sustainablepop.org/about.htm
*Lots of Vendors, freebies and coupons
*Walking distance to the Oh-so-Beautiful Dog Beach and Dog Park
*Plenty of Parking available
*Games, burgers, hot dogs and drinks
*Freebies and Giveaways
*Pet Portraits by KQ
*Paw Print Posies www.pawposies.com
For more information contact Karen at kquatman@comcast.net or 410-849-2582

This message was edited Apr 3, 2008 9:19 AM

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, I may take the puppy to this to get him micro-chipped at a discount.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

any idea what the micro chipping fee will be? (Addy would be a maniac-insaniac with so many dogs around tho)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Gosh, I'll have to look through my email, but I want to say that it is about half of what my vet charges. I think that it will be around $30-35 at the Park vice $60 or more at vet's ...

Oh, don't go looking thru email for me-- Really don't think we can stand the leash pulling we'd have to endure. Its one thing on our street but with all the others- for-get it. But maybe I could shoot by and get the freebies- no idea what's up tomorrow- if weathers nice probably yard "work."

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Pack a bunch of treats and keep them near her face long enough to get to the chipping booth/trailer/tent and then. .... oh, and maybe tire her out before you go. :)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I wish we had enough time this weekend to do that -- it sounds like SO MUCH FUN.

w- yeah- that'll mean two hours in the other dog park before ?? time in this one LOL I'm afraid I'm just not gonna spend all afternoon that way! esp after being up at this hour- grrr- stupid coffee at Booksamillion

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

While you lie sleeping, Sally (ugh, 3 AM?!) ... Have you ever tried one of those anti-pull harnesses? One of my neighbors has one on her young pointer and it appears to do a really good job. I know that there are different types, but am not certain which type she has. Shall I ask her?

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Sounds tempting, Wrightie!! But I MUST get out in the dirt and clean up the yard this weekend. I have been away for the past 3.

I know Hutch would love this and I might never get him out of there with all the dogs........

Well, sure, if you run into her I would like a recommendation before buying anymore accesories.
We don't get much walk practice now because the thing abotu the elec fence is, it goes across the end of the driveway so I'm not supposed to take her collar off and walk her across because that would -de-reinforce the idea. Can you see me putting her in the van and driving from the driveway to the street to park and walk her? LOL Or carry her . She's an armload!

wrightie - I owe you one- I love it! I sure will feel better about her pulling-(until she gets trained, which she will) Thanks a bunch! wags

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Nah, I just hope that it works out for you. Did you note the disclaimer about retractable leashes? "Do not use the Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harness with a retractable leash. With a retractable leash, the dog is “rewarded” with more leash and less resistance when he pulls ahead. You want the dog to learn to NOT pull ahead. In addition, a retractable leash will always apply a slight constant pressure, teaching your dog it is okay to continue pulling."

Personally, I cannot stand retractables so it's not something that I even would have thought of.

Thanks for mentioning that We haven't used a retr yet so we'll try not to start. Good point!! She should not learn to go her own way!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

FWIW, I've had great success with training the puppy to walk on a loose lead by stopping each and every time that he pulls. Once he stops pulling, I start walking again. It's going great.

you're so smart.

Did you micro-chip? I noticed my county animal control will be having a discount micro chip session. Maybe PG will.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

No, not yet. I need to look into that - good idea! Last I heard, a friend of a friend might do it for me for a couple bucks as she owns a chipping gun...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

We have our vet do it, but it was pricey.

I did have a pretty good session teaching Addy to speak yesterday while she was barking at the vacuum cleaner. She's been perfect with the elec fence.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.