Tropical Project

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hey Bonjon, I am going to PD on the open house day but I will be with another group that gets to visit in the morning before the public gets there. Will you be working that day?

Raleigh, NC

doubtful, but then again, I can go about anytime I want......as long as I weed, spread mulch, dig......

...but what a fun place to weed, dig, etc. LOL

Raleigh, NC

you would think so, but in heat, no place is fun! LOL which day are you going? they usually have it for like two weekends in a row.

Our tour begins at 7am on Friday, the 25th. I'll be the one who is yawning. LOL

Raleigh, NC

LOL - well, you won't be alone in that habit!

If I can make it over there then, I'll see if I can get permission to walk you through the Colocasia test beds. I have been ill for a while and don't know what their status is, though.

That would be lovely but if you are not feeling well please do not worry about it. I'll be with the GWA group.

Maybe you can tell me why my colocasias and alocasias shrink over the years. They start out fine and achieve their normal height then each year therafter they get smaller and smaller until they are miniatures.
alice

Raleigh, NC

that's a good question for Tony or his staff. bet Jeremy would know, or Todd.

I'll be sure to ask for them. Thanks.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

BonJon -- I'll have to keep an eye out for you when I'm down there next. I have so many things in my yard from PDN. My hubby lets out a loud sigh when the catalog comes in the mail because our yard is overflowing with tropicals, but I return that same sigh when he starts talking about motorcycle parts and working on cars (his hobbies).

I forgot the open house was happening, as I've been ill the last week and a half. Hopefully, my energy will be up to come down there this weekend. It's a beautiful place to visit! And I don't mind stimulating the economy when I'm there either, LOL.

Raleigh, NC

their volunteers don't necessarily show up at the open houses. we show up to weed, mulch, dig, that sort of thing. when public is no where near.

several men's gardening clubs are the volunteers during open houses.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Bummer. I'll probably be there anyway. I need to get my before-winter itch scratched. :-)

Johns Island, SC

My experience with "big box stores" (Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, etc.) has been absolutely miserable to date. Those people are more concerned with "throughput" than they are with "output".Their business model is TOTALLY dependent on volume and suckers! Ask a simple question about a plant's requirements (water, light, drainage, fertilization, etc., and they look at you real funny, like you must be some kind of weirdo to be asking such things---like, what are those things???). The big box stores buy from some pretty reputable growers, and receive really good material. But that's where it stops! All downhill from there. They don't even water the plants properly. You can beat their ineptitude by finding out when their respective growers deliver, (so far, they've been willing to share those data) and meet the delivery trucks. Pick out your plants on arrival, buy them, and carry them home. You'll pay their "list price" for them, but you'll be getting a real live plant...and still somewhat discounted from local growers. I personally prefer staying "local" whenever possibile...

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Lowe's in Bluffton Wednesday deliveries. LOL. Close to my house so that's usually when I look things over.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.