Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

jjonhawaii wrote on LouC's thread about Feral Hogs:

"Guys...Have friends who live in Fern Forest who
will come and pig hunt for you with their quarry of
dogs and knives only. Let me know if you need this
and I'll give you Isaiah's number. They have helped
me immensely ridding my pig problems in Volcano. "

Kealakekua, HI

The pigs must all have gone south. I am in Kainaliu and this is the first year we haven't had a pig problem.

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Very odd, apparently they have a "wild pig fountain" at the Butchart Gardens.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5227520

Keaau, HI

If you folks are missing pigs in Kainaliu, please come to the windward side; they've been having a convention in the Hilo and Puna Forest Reserves.

Kealakekua, HI

I dont miss the pigs. We have a problem with wild cattle though. They arent as destructive as the pigs though.

Captain Cook, HI

Quote from lorien4 :
Is fencing an option? I know the Nat'l Park Service has found it an effective measure to keep pigs and goats out of parts of Haleakala (and I think Hawai'i Volcanoes Nat'l Park).

I have a 9 acre farm in Captain Cook, HI, growing coffee and fruit. I was lucky to get in on the NRCS grant to put in catchment tanks so we would not irrigate with County water from the aquifer. At the same time I was going to add the fencing grant, but didn't. I had to pre-pay for these items before reimbursement from the government and the tanks were already $50,000 on my credit card :-)

A few years later I got two dogs and not long thereafter the feral pigs started coming around.

Every day now I wish I had gotten the fencing. It was a re-reimbursement of something like 90% to keep pigs out of my crops which now were growing well due to the irrigation.

Oahu, HI(Zone 11)

Been reading this thread with a lot of interest although it's 12 yrs old - wondering what ever happened to Keaau749 and the feral pig problem? Inquiring minds want to know :-)

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Quote from keaau749 :
I brought in several 30 yard truck loads of mulch that I discovered too late had macadamia nuts in it, and now that it is spread I am being invaded by every wild pig in the forest. I have killed a few, but they just keep coming. Every morning reveals more pig destruction. They have destroyed hundreds of dollars of plants and trees. They are not afraid of my large dogs or motion detector outdoor lights. They tear down and trample my scarecrows. I ordered some very expensive mountain lion urine from the US continent, advertised as a guaranteed pig repellant, but Hawai'i pigs aren't fazed by the stuff. Does anyone know of a repellant, or any way to keep them away without having to kill all of them?

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Quote from keaau749 :
I brought in several 30 yard truck loads of mulch that I discovered too late had macadamia nuts in it, and now that it is spread I am being invaded by every wild pig in the forest. I have killed a few, but they just keep coming. Every morning reveals more pig destruction. They have destroyed hundreds of dollars of plants and trees. They are not afraid of my large dogs or motion detector outdoor lights. They tear down and trample my scarecrows. I ordered some very expensive mountain lion urine from the US continent, advertised as a guaranteed pig repellant, but Hawai'i pigs aren't fazed by the stuff. Does anyone know of a repellant, or any way to keep them away without having to kill all of them?

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Quote from keaau749 :

Hi. I don’t know about Hawaiian hogs, but wild hogs in Florida are very destructive and nearly impossible to eradicate! The only way that we have found to stop them is to either trap and relocate them. Or they have to be destroyed and used for their meat. We sometimes castrate the boars, feed them corn and sweet feed for a few months and then have a barbecue after the meat has sweetened up. Either way we kept our freezer full of pork.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.