Blueberries

Medina, OH

Hi All-Would like to plant blueberries for the first time this year. Live in zone 5. When should I plant? How many? Full Sun? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Susan

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Plant when your ground is thawed and ready to work - sometime this month if you are getting bareroot plants. Full sun, definitely. Amend your soil if it isn't acid enough - most garden soils aren't.

How many depends on how many you want and how much room you have for them. But don't buy all the same variety - blueberries need cross-pollination. And be sure to get Northern varieties.

Medina, OH

Thanks L Tilton, will follow your instructions and keep my fingers crossed. Susan

mulege, Mexico

I got blackberry and raspberry plants from Nourse. They have really nice plants.

katiebear

Portland, OR

Here in Oregon blueberries do very well -- I'm told they need a lot of nitrogen, and to add nitrogen once a month from now until June, but the timing might be different for zone 5. good luck - we love our two plants and plan to add several more now that we have the room. They're beautiful ornamental plants as well, with their red twigs showing in fall.

Medina, OH

Am eager to get his project underway. I grew up in Connecticut and remember just standing by the bush and eating the flowers. Never was too bright...now, 60 years later, I think I'll wait for the fruit. Thanks all, Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.