Baby Wipes Warmer for seed starting ?

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I have heard that a baby wipes warmer is useful for gentle heat beneath
seed starting trays to help germination.

I have one that is just the right size to hold a 12 pack of seed plugs.

These warmers are in abundance at thrift stores for about $ 2.oo each.

Has anyone here ever tried this ? Did it work ?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would make sure it doesn't get to hot first but I don't think they get very hot. They're sealed to water and safe. Hmmm. Good idea since I have one of those in my closet.

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh what a wonderful idea!! I will have to keep an eye out for them at the thrift stores! Ok, now I am a little confused because I was picturing a mat that you set under the wipe container. I have heard of these warmers but never actually saw them. I looked them on a web search and they seem to all be a container that you set the wipes into. How do you go about using them to germinate the seeds? Is there another type that I did not come up with that just sits under the wipes?

This message was edited Apr 3, 2008 9:21 AM

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

The one I have is shaped like a cigar box, only taller. It has a warming unit inside that keeps the baby wipes warm.

It is just the right size to put in a 12 pak of the Jiffy Starter trays.

I was afraid it might be a little warm, so I put a china saucer in the bottom to keep the seed tray off the bottom, and left the lid open.

I also covered the top of the seed tray with a piece of Saran Wrap to keep them from getting dried out.

As soon as they germinate, I will remove them, put them under the grow light and put in the next tray full.

I guess I'll see how this works out. I'll let you know......... but I think it will work. hope hope................

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I was thinking just put a little water in the bottom and raise up the seeds a little. Plastic wrap over the top and you have a tropical seed germinator.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2008 5:22 PM

Denham Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

I must be evil. I use a warmer for my seeds, but see nothing wrong with using cold baby wipes on a little baby butt. lol

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

kalika22, LOL!! My sister is the one who pointed me to this thread and she was asking me if I had heard of wipe warmers. I told her I had but always thought it was silly to warm the wipes. Also told her that the idea of using them to warm seeds made total sense. Now I will be on the lookout at thrift shops and garage sales for the both of us!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

ROTFL!!!

I have never heard of these, but they make shaving cream warmers, so I guess it makes sense...

S.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

They warm the wipes to above room temp. I guess if someone was wiping my bottom I would like a warm wipe as opposed to a cold one. They're just little plastic box that fits one package of wipes with a little room around them and then a lid on top. Plugs in the wall. I would imagine they're 12v.

Diaper changing flash back, lets move on to another subject. Had two in diapers not long ago and did not enjoy the experience.

Seneca, MO(Zone 5b)

If anyone would like to share a pic of one of these, that would help facilitate my getting one a little faster! I go to thrift stores, but I don't recall seeing any such thing!

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

type baby wipe warmers in the search then click to show images. You'll see lots of them. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.