I am out of lights inside, can I set more trays outside now?

Warren, OH(Zone 5b)

I am out of room with all of my seedlings, I have no more lights. Can I put seed in the plastic flats as if I am going to start them in here, water them, cover them with the lid and place them outside to germinate on their own. I would only do this with the hardy varieties. I know they won't be going through the long winter period, but will this way be ok? That way I can start more seeds, lol!
Thank you, Kathy

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Kathy, I am certainly no expert, but I think you could do that. However, if they are in the sun, the seedlings might cook (the way things can get so hot in a car.) You would have to think about ventilation to prevent this. Basically, all I have used all winter is plastic to cover lots of 16 oz cups and other containers all at once. I poked some holes in it for ventilation.
I will take the plastic completely off soon and use remay fabric to cover them if there is a frost warning. Remay gives 6 degrees of frost protection.

I know what you mean about room. I have 45 cups of seeds under lights and over a hundred outside. Where can I put them before planting them into beds or pots? I can't even think about that right now.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Kathy -- i did it last year, but as Gloria stated, once that sun comes out and it's a bit warmer - and you have seedlings, they will fry quickly .... so, once you have babies in there, keep an eye on the weather, if it's warm enough, take the lid off.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Are you talking about using regular seed starting flats? I wouldn't, but some do it successfully. I'd recommend something large and deep, like milk jugs.
If you do use those seed flats, you need big air vents and drainage holes. Also will require more babysitting,
more frequent watering, possibly several times a day
more lids on-off attention
no head room
some way to protect from wind

Some seeds do need cold strat, but most don't.

Karen

Warren, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you for your help. I have used every clear milkjug our recycle place had to winter sow in this year, lol! I took garbage bags full home, steralized and planted. They are just starting to come up. I also started a ton inside, and need to make room for starting more, lmao. I am obsessed. When can I start to set my seedlings of hardy plants outside? If I keep them from frost, but it still gets way cold here at night will they be ok or do I need to keep them inside. These are perennials I am talking about that I started in the house under lights.
thank you,
kathy

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Kathy:

The whole point of winter sowing is to grow your seedlings outside where Mother Nature can take care of them for you. Any seedling that you've grown indoors under lights will need to be hardened off. You'll have to find out when you last frost date occurs in your gardening zone and when it is safe to put your seedlings outdoors.

If you are out of milk jugs, you can also use soda or juice bottles. Some gardeners have also successfully germinated seeds in 1 gallon plastic bags. Also, ask your family, neighbors, friends and co-workers to save plastic containers for you. You can reward them with seedlings, which they will love.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I agree with Shirley. I think I'd harden them off slowly rather than just toss them out in the elements. That said, I don't start any seeds indoors so my advice might not be the best.

I start everything by wintersowing. My germination started this year on March 15 with annual allysum and rose campion sprouting first. They have since been exposed to temps as low as 24 I think with no ill effects, happily snoozing in their milk jugs. They were born out there so are adapted and able to handle a freeze well. Really tender things like zinnias don't tolerate frost no matter where they're born, so I just sow them later and they grow well.

Karen

Milwaukee, WI

hate to sound so niave but until dave'sgarden I never heard of winter sowing. exactly what do you do with the milk jug?thanks for the help

Warren, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you everyone for your advice. I looked into my jugs outside today, and I have lots of sprouts!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Artwestallis: Wintersowing is the sowing of seed, outside, in winter time, in recyclable containers. The container of choice for many of us is plastic milk jugs, though many other types can be used.

This method had been popularized by Trudi Davidoff of Long Island. There are now wintersowers everywhere, in both warm and cold zones. Sounds crazy at first but it really works. This is my third year wintersowing, and I have started hundreds of seedlings this wy.

Refer to Trudi's website, and it will explain most of what you need to know. After seeing it, please come back and we'll answer your questions.

http://wintersown.org/wseo1/How_to_Winter_Sow.html

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.