who do I have red spots on my coffee filters?

(AnnaRuth) Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Greetings, all. I am a newbie and have seedlings everywhere.I think that's good! I tried the coffee filter method, and have red spots all over my coffee filter! Also, when do I plant the seeds? Some have sprouted a "radicle", (is that right, radicle??) and I need to know if I should pot them now or wait for some further action from my little seeds. Thanks in advance for your help!
gp

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Not sure this is correct but I always plant them when they show signs of life, using a tweezers. This way they don't dry out but you are sure that they are alive.

thanks dragon...but do I put the little seed in the soil, or just the root? I thought I already sent this, but I don't see it, so apparently I didn't. Im so new and fairly overwhelmed by the site. Thanks again!

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I would still plant the seed as deep as the growing instructions tell you to, with the root below it of course.

Thanks jlp...They are so tiny, I'm just afraid I'll squish them. Should they go into the potting soil or back into seed starting medium? Thanks!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Just give it a try, ginpan, I'm sure you'll do just fine and so will your seedlings. Do sterilize those tweezers, though, especially if you are planting different seeds. If there are any problem children in there, that way you won't spread anything and can spot a problem more quickly. Good luck!! Love to see new gardeners take the first steps :)

Thanks Doc....I'm goin' in lol

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I would use the seed starting medium.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I've used a toothpick to do this before. Gently slide the seed onto the toothpick and then hold in the planting hole in your medium. Gently sprinkle soil around it and slide out the toothpick. Mist well to wet the medium enough to ensure there's no air around the seed. Taaaaa Daaaaa. I smushed a few damp seeds before using tweezers but then I'm a clutz so that will probably work for normal people :- like dragonfly does. I totally use tweezers for dry seed. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the info, guys. I moved some last night and I think I did ok...Time will tell. Now does anyone know about the red spots on my coffee filters, and can someone tell me how to close this? So much to learn, so little time!

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

At a flea market I got a pair of tweezers that have a long nose and there's a small bar in between the arms that keeps you from being able to close them too hard. I found that helps. I'm sure if I were to use my eyebrow tweezers I'd totally crush the seeds.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Red spots may be some sort of mold. There is a pinkish mold that you get in damp conditions like in birdbaths and such. It's the only thing that I can think of.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

oh thanks for the tweezer tip dragonfly. That definitely would help my squishing and be easier than the toothpick.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.