Best method for cut now, root later?

Napa, CA(Zone 9b)

What is the best way to keep cuttings viable until you can properly pot them? I would like to take the cuttings home from work rather than stand back at the work potting bench and do cuttings for myself, esp. this time of year when there are about a million other things to do...lol.
I read somehting about rooting them in baggies?
Also, I do not have a greenhouse at work or at home. I was hoping to just set up a shelf area on my patio that is covered with a thick wisteria vine, will this work for most things? Can I get by without the bottom heat?Should I make a plastic cover for newly rooting cttings?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate you guys and tell gardeners all the time at the nursery to come here!

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Some types of plants benefit from drying some on the cuts, geraneums for example. If you are talking about only a day or until you can get home, damp paper and a plastic bag would do the trick.

After my cuttings are potted, I water well and leave them to drain at least overnite. You want it damp, not wet. I set the pots in bright shade with a plastic bag over them to provide humidity as in a greenhouse and just ignore them for several weeks. Coleus can root in a week and some things take a couple months. As long as temps are above 40 most things will root sooner or later. If the plastic bag fogs up, that's good. If it gets large drops of condensation running down the sides, that's too wet. Too wet equals rot so leave the bag off a day or so and try it again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.