Question on Holly!

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

When is the best time to cut holly to propogate? I have done it in the fall and wondered if I can do it again in the spring. I know you need hardwood cutting. Any information will be appreciated.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

While you're waiting for somebody to answer, do a search for "holly" in the propagation forum. There are a 1/2 dozen posts, but it seems that you might need to know the name (the kind) of your holly and it looks like Fall might be the better time.

Here's a link I found...not trying to put you off, just trying to help out and brig the thread forward a little so somebody knowledgeable might see it.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/envirohort/articles2/propigat.html

One of my neighbors has a magnificent christmas tree shaped holly with dull green leaves. It has gone through many -20 winters and summer droughts without problem and I'd love to snag some pieces to try to root them. How long were your cuttings from last fall? Did they root?

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks so much for the info. I have found that the best time is in late summer or early fall for some holly. That is when I did it last year. I did take a few cuttings early in the spring when I wrote the first post and I am waiting to see what happens with them. I keep asking the woman for the name of the holly but she is silent. I hate that. Thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.