germination problems

Friedens, PA(Zone 5a)

Because of lack of room some of the seeds I ordered last year I did not plant till this year. The problem is they did not sprout. I have saved seeds in the past with no problem, even collected my own. Seeds from brussels sprouts, petunias and cauliflower just to name a few have not sprouted. The seeds I purchased this year are growing great.
Did I do something wrong in storing them? They were in my garden shed during the growing season and put in the basement in the fall overwinter.
Should I contact the seed companies I purchased them through?
I still have more seeds from last year that I have not started yet and am nervous they will not grow. Should I purchase replacements?
Any tips and comments will be appreciated.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I don't ever count on old seeds (not packaged for this year) to germinate. You can try some with the paper towel method to see if they will germinate. Put some of your seeds in a wet paper towel and keep it warm. They should sprout in a few days. If not, they may no longer be viable.

What kind of seeds do you have? Some take much longer than others to germinate.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Many seeds remain viable for at least a few years, but you'll generally get a poorer germination rate as time goes on. So it may still be worth trying the ones you have...there are a few types of seed that need to be super fresh when you plant them, but most ordinary flower/vegetable seeds ought to have some life left in them as long as they were stored properly. I worry a little bit about your garden shed though, how hot did the temps get in there over the summer? Seeds are best off stored in a cool place, so if it got pretty toasty in there over the summer that could have ruined them.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Qter,

Barn storage over summer might be your problem, especially if the seeds were in paper packs instead of plastic or foil because of both heat, and the dampness from humidity

Unlike jlp, I depend on all seeds sprouting, especially the second year, and am totally surpprised if they don't, so sow all those seeds. One easy way to do it is to sow them, each pack in a single pot, and then prick out the babies into a bigger place when they get some size on them. You might sow that way already, but it's a good way to sow seeds when you are unsure of the germination.

Suzy

P.S. My ggggggrandparents settled Friedens and I was told recently that I am related to anybody who was born there. Names are Casebier, Schmucker, Maurer and Jacobs.

Friedens, PA(Zone 5a)

Thank you for all your help. I will be more careful about leaving them in the shed from now on, that might be it. As for the rest of the seeds I will do the germintaion test with the paper towels so I know if I will need to reorder new ones.
I know the Schmucker family.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.