delphiniums and thinning seedlings

Chicago, IL

Hi - a couple quick questions from someone trying WS'ing for the first time (only 10 containers, not up there in the hundreds yet!)...

1. It looks like my foxglove seeds might be starting to sprout! If I have densely-growing little seedlings, will they self-select or will I need to thin them out? I was hoping that later, I could transplant small clumps of the seedlings.

2. I was nervous to WS my delphinium seeds because the packet only had 5 of them and I hadn't realized that cold was important to their sprouting. Given that I've probably missed the coldest temp window, can I do something like freeze the seeds for a short time (in the freezer) and then plant them outside in a WS-type container?
Appreciate any tips - thanks!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

My guess is that you'll probably have enough cold weather left. Cold strat just involves cold weather, not freezing. If you are getting nights around 40 degrees, that's cold enough. Are you sure they need cold strat? Do you know what kind they are?

This is what Tom Clothier says about delphs
Delphinium belladonna, cardinale, cashmirianum, chinense, elatum, glareosum, glaucum, grandiflorum, nudicaule, patens, requinni, and tatsienense , Sow at 22-24ºC (71-75ºF), germination in less than 2 weeks
Delphinium exaltatum, and zalil , Sow at Max. 5ºC (41ºF), germination irregular, often several months

Karen

I'm in Cinti, zone 6, and it has been plenty cold here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.