irises

Tucson, AZ

what happened to our iris thread that we had last year???

here's my offerings for now.

Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

the beast blooms!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow !!!

Tucson, AZ

marie - maybe you can dig a hole larger than normal and enclose it with chicken wire. than plant the iris bulbs and not have to worry about gophers.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have some planted and I actually chicken wired a clematis only to come home and find out that the gopher went up and over. I do ahve some iris planted and so far they have left them alone. I just have to accept it is what it is and hope they leave the really expensive plants alone.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have a couple!

Thumbnail by azreno
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by azreno
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Lynn what is that second one? I like them both but really like the second one.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I think that is beaux arts

Thumbnail by azreno
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Nice blooms everyone! That does look like beaux arts - its on my wish list!

I have a few bloom stalks fattening up.....

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

It is one of my favorites! It came from Awandasflowers last year in her big iris give away.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

here's last years thread --- started March 14th!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/701703/

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful blooms, everyone!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous! I have serious iris envy. I got mine in the ground last fall, so no blooms for me this year... :(

But next year, I expect to be rewarded for my patience! :)

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Not always true Jill. I had one planted last fall that has bloomed already.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

They're blooming all over Tucson right now, Marie, and I have nary a sign of a bloom stalk, so I guess I'm out of luck for now. Sigh... At least my Schubert's onion is gonna go!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yeah how is mr. shubert?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Not a very good picture, but he's starting to go!

Thumbnail by tucsonjill
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I want one of those!! I can not wait to see how yours does. It should die back in the summer and then come back in the fall?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

I think so, Marie, but I'm not 100% sure of exactly what to expect! I was just re-reading the info over at Dutch Gardens (where I bought this baby) and it turns out that it is both Mr. and Ms. Schubert--the cool explosion look is a result of both the M and F flowers on the same stalk. I can't wait!

The good news is, it doesn't want to be moved (I can do that!) and it likes to be hot and dry, or so they say... wonder what it's going to think of our version of hot and dry?

I'll let you know how it goes!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

That's so cool.

Tucson, AZ

nice iris lynn! i remember seeing the third one when i was over the other night.

nice onion jill! edible?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

don't be surprised if some of the iris planted last fall bloom this year!

remember, there are "early" "mid" "late" and "reblooming" iris.....if you know the names of the ones you planted check and see which you have......

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Ooooh, I didn't know iris had bloom times that varied by so much---I'll have to see what I've got! Maybe all is not yet lost for the year...

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yep, my second one is a rebloomer, Poorman, it blooms, umm, when it's WARM lol

Tucson, AZ

me neither.

mine are all finished before the weather is too hot.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I think I had blooms from that one 3x last year, spring, summer, and fall, it's a shame it isn't more colorful. I got that at the master gardener sale one year, had no idea it was a rebloomer.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Okay, after a little research in PlantFiles:
•Nora's Thrill: extra early/mid
•Grand Ole Opry: extra early/mid
•Canary Delight: mid
•Blue Pools: mid
•Dusky Challenger: mid/late mid
•Firenze Red: late mid
•Blue Suede Shoes: late mid (but I thought I've seen it advertised as a rebloomer?)
and one mystery iris that I've had for at least 6 years but that has never bloomed due to being in the shade. I don't even know what color it is!

So, I'm guessing the extra-earlies won't make it this year, but maybe some of the others might? Maybe? What exactly does early/mid/late translate to in our demented climate?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I would think they would have already bloomed or be blooming now, were they small rhizomes? Small rhizomes don't always bloom that first year after planting. Don't bother them this year and fertilize in the fall, you'll have them next year.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I've got 5 new bloom stalks this morning! Only one showing color on its big fat buds!!

Phoenix, AZ

Here's one of mine. I think I have only yellow at this time....
Need to purchase some more. I'd really like about a dozen in my front yard.

Thumbnail by Aguane
Tucson, AZ

from today...

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful!!!!!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Nice. I have this one blooming but it is not something I ordered so I am thinking some company snet me the wrong one!!

Thumbnail by Desertdenial5
Phoenix, AZ

That's a pretty one, Marie. For some reason I forget about white iris. Always think of them as having hue.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Aw, that's too bad Marie :(

Nice ones D and Susie!

Tucson, AZ

that's a bummer marie!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

It's too bad it's not what you wanted, but it is very pretty!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Susie it is not really white it has some light lilac to it. I have a white one and I love it!! I just know I did not order it because I am always after the really dark ones.

El Mirage, AZ(Zone 9b)

Marie, do you think it was a bonus iris sent with your order?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.