Squash Seedling Question

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Hey Everyone,

Been way too busy with bad stuff in life to keep track of everything here unfortunately. Did manage to get seeds planted and now I have a question. I did some summer squash and they are doing really well. In fact maybe too well as they now have small buds on them. Should I pinch them off for now since it will be a month at least before they can go out? Amazed me this morning when I looked at them.

Thanks in advance and be well,
Juanita

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I would vote yes, pinch them as they are probably male anyway and won't do you any good.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

"pinch them as they are probably male anyway and won't do you any good" Way to go Sally! LOL Ok.. you caught me in one of my early morning sassy moods. ☺

I just KNEW somebody would see the 'possiblities' in that sentence!! (Hi)

but thanks for reminding me to get my gourd seed out of the 'bath' and into the pot this morning.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2008 8:53 AM

Morning Sally! (_)? Just sat down with my coffee to check out what going on, before I leave to get my hair done and met with the account to get the word on my Taxes, UGH!

Juanita, when did you start the seeds, just wonder about the time line, I might start some myself later.

Chris

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Chris,

I started them around the first of the month. Thanks to all Critter's good advice everything I started is doing well. Didn't expect these to grow so fast because I'm not used to seed starting. I'm a cutting addict instead. :0) I'm sure it was too early, but I'll know better next time.

Juanita

Juanita, With the month time line, I'll start some the end of April/ first of May.
One year I planted some cucumber and summer squash seeds early in the garden and put wall o' waters around them, when it got warm I removed the wall o' water and layed Newspaper and cover newspaper with compost I had the best crop ever that year.

I got some white cucumber seeds free with my seed order this year can't wait to try them.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

I also started impatiens earlier yet and some of them have buds already!! I've never had much success with seeds before and if I could just control the aphid problem I have all would be great. I have pinched the squash blooms. Don't you wish all your "male" problems could be solved with such alacrity? :0)

Juanita

Oh boy yes- I should have taken more than one botany course at U of MD- maybe I would have learned about pinching males when I needed it most...
Your impatiens will be quite garden ready. : ^)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Just for more exposure (hope that's ok) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/82749

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.