Question about starting seeds

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

I have a couple varieties of seeds that say they need heat (65-75 degrees) and dark to germinate. My heat mats are all under lights-will it work to just cover the flat with something dark until the seeds germinate? I can't think of any place that is consistently that warm and dark in my house, so I think the heat mat is the best spot for them. The seeds in question are calendula and nasturtium-both of which I've direct sown outside in the past-I didn't know they were so picky. Actually, I'll probably just wait and direct sow the nasturtiums again this year, but did want to get a headstart on the calendulas-any suggestions?
Thanks!
Deb

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

DMurray407,You could cover the seeds with pieces of black plastic trash bags or use an old towel till they germinate,then remove it.The seeds you mentioned,I grow also but always direct sow them.Limited space for me seed to seed start.I only start seed that takes for ever to grow like petunias,nicotiana,laurenta,pansey,etc.Edge

Thorne Bay, AK(Zone 6b)

Why not just turn your lights off at night?I've never had a problem germinating calendula at 60-65* on a small bench by a window.

Paducah, KY

It's 56 degrees in our house. Our house is ancient and leaks like a sieve so we keep the thermostat set very, very low in cold weather and huddle desperately around the fire to stay warm. ANYWAY, it's 56 degrees in here and I started calendula seeds in Feb. They all sprouted within a week. I just potted them up to bigger homes today.

So, for the calendula, I'd say you have nothing to worry about! :)

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

T&M suggests that a light layer of vermiculite is enough to provide darkness. I think that means they don't need absolute blackness. I read it in the free booklet you get with a $40.00 order.

Suzy

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks! I guess I shouldn't really worry about it and just get them plan ted!
deb

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Deb, I use styrofoam trays like from grapes @ produce dept. to cover the small 'ad hoc' flats (to acheive darkness) I use for sewing seeds before transplanting. They also work as trays then since I always run out of official pots and end up using yogurt cups, etc.

Isn't this fun? I feel like such a real gardener when I sow seeds. For us, it's resisting the urge to rush out and plant now with officially 2 weeks to go before last frost....

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Two weeks before your last frost date . . .I'm jealous because I still have almost 2 months . . .

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

I feel your pain DMurray, but you can feel smug come July and August when we are sweltering. I just finished updating my seed log, which I don't like to do, but I know I'll be glad next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.