Joey's brain surgery & pics

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

Got to the clinic this morning about 8:30 as they were haltering Joe and rinsing his mouth out. I got a big ole nicker hello. They were discussing his "brain surgery" when I walked up and I gave them a funny look wondering if they had been sniffing the gas themselves or something. They quickly explained they call gelding a horse "brain surgery". SOL! In fact, even when Dr. Hay, the main vet, came out and walked by, he asked if the "little guy was ready for his brain surgery". And this was coming from a man. double SOL!
They could only fine one this morning on exam but figured he was holding out on them. They planned sedating him out and verifying both there before actually knocking him out. They walked him into the OR room and came flying right back out, Joe leading the way. LOL. My boy wanted nothing to do with that room. They had to sedate him outside the room and quickly drag him in before he hit the floor.
I've worked at 2 different vet's offices during high school and seen the procedure done on dogs and cats. It doesn't take very long. You can imagine my "growing concern" when they didn't come out for the next 60+ mins.
One of the employees came to clean his stall. She was in working on Allie during Allie's c-section. I asked her how long it typically takes. She asked how long he'd been in there. When I told her over an hour, she went and washed her hands and went in to check on him for me. She came back out and said that he was done and they were just waiting for him to wake up. I think everyone realized I was slowly panicking out there waiting for him and my vet came out. She said they were just all standing around talking and waiting for him to wake up but that everything went fine. They had to go fishing as he had everything sucked up really deep, even with the sedative, which should have made him drop. As we were talking, someone came into the office and stuck a bag of peas in the freezer. I gave her a strange look and they said "oh, Joe just had that between his legs as an ice pack". I may never eat peas again! He woke up, stood up like a pro, and came out of the ER hollering. He quit as soon as he saw me and I stood outside his stall and talked and scratched on him for a while. He was drenched with sweat, which they said was from the drugs, and put a giant blanket on him. When I left, he was pretty steady on his feet and trying to chew on his stall wall. He can come home tomorrow :-) Said he'd be in some discomfort but not pain. Pain would be today, but they have him on pain meds.
Here's some pictures of Joey and Missy shedding. The first 6 were taken 3/8 when Joe first started shedding and looked really funny. The rest were taken this weekend with Abby and my nieces.
http://picasaweb.google.com/kbilliu/SheddingOut

This thread has 75 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!