Have for Trade: Hardy Red Amaryllis/ St Joseph's Lily

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

hi there guys,

i posted this in the Trade section, but since they are Amaryllis, thought some might like them from this forum. :)

i have enough of these bulbs for a few large trades. these are an original heirloom amaryllis that is hardy to zone 6. the bulbs are very hard to find, mostly a "pass along" bulb, they few sources that have them commercially charge $9 to $15 per bulb. i would prefer to trade enough for a large or even extra large flat rate box due to the weight of these bulbs. I am looking for:
Named Daylilies
Alstromeria
Hardy Geranium: especially looking for Geranium Rozanne

here is a link to this amaryllis in PlantFiles
www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56501/

thanks,

tracie

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have some more native orange alstromeria. I will go looking for Roxanne if needed.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

anyone that is interested, please dmail me. that way we can chat. thanks

tracie

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Have a picture of your bulbs blooming?

I will be up near that area Thursday or Friday to check on one of our growing fields--is it blooming now? I know most of ours are now but may be delayed up that way.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2008 10:06 AM

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

no, i am sorry i didnt take any pictures. i am trying to be much better this year about taking photos of everything. most of the bulbs have a small amount of foliage right now, a few have the start of bloom buds. i am hoping to get these out to folks before they bloom so you guys will get the show this year!

when you say "check on our growing fields", what are you referring to? if you dont mind my asking? and where are they? just curious!

tracie

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

i found a phot taken last year, so here it is!

tracie

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
Mobile, AL

Yep!

That is Johnsonii, and a very nice photo, I might add!

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

thank you so much! actually, they look much better than that when they all get going. you can see a bunch of them havent even bloomed yet.

tracie

Mobile, AL

Yes! I see that! Look at all those buds!

And what a beautiful display it must be when they are all in bloom.

I adore my Johnsonii, primarily because they do so well every year in my garden. I have scapes already forming, and perhaps I do not need to do so, but if there is a slight chance of frost, I protect the buds with a blanket or a bucket.

One thing that I have noticed about Johnsonii is that the bulb will pull itself deeper and deeper into the ground as it ages. I suspect this is why it is a survivor in colder zones. It also has a very LONG neck, so it can be planted deeply when mature.

However, if not mature, plant it with the neck slightly above ground and let it do its thing to protect itself from cold.

Mine, in the ground, will bloom in the next week or so, and I am always thrilled to see them. They bloom earlier than my daylilies.

If you wish to hybridize them, they appear to be diploid and they do self-pollinate. I have many two year old selfs that are getting close to blooming size. I also have crosses both ways with Amputo that are near blooming size.

Good Luck with your trades, and I encourage everyone to this one. I adore my Johnsonii!

Cheers!

Ann

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

thank you so much for the information. i had noticed that the big bulbs are always deeper. it is pretty amazing that bulbs can move themselves through the ground, within reason, of course.

tracie

Mobile, AL

It's a long story, but I will try to keep it short.

When I first found these treasures at my sister's newly inherited ranch, I dug them not knowing what they were. There were also numerous other types of bulbs that I dug up, not knowing what they were.

I had the bulbs in Walmart bags. I stored them next to my fireplace. I never planted any there.

Apparently, one of the Johnsonii bulblets fell on the ground by the fireplace, unnoticed. A year later, I noticed the leaves and left it alone.

The next year, there was a bloom, and I was in awe that this bulb apparently implanted itself into the ground.

Honestly, I never purposely planted any of them in this location. It was quite an accident.

Now, there are many!

Cheers and Enjoy!

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

that is an amazing story. these bulbs are very carefree, they bloom and multilpy without any human help! i dug many from my great grandmothers old, abandoned home, they had been there for more than 20 years with no problems!

tracie

Mobile, AL

Tracie,

The amazing thing is that they are located in many abandoned homes.

I ventured through a wooded area, filled with Kudzu and weeds, to an abandoned home quite near to mine (a 40 acre+ estate), and I found leaves that looked like hippeastrum. I dug up the bulbs, and guess what? They are also Johnsonii. These particular bulbs are still in pots. The rest are in the ground.

My suggestion to all is that this particular variety be grown in the ground, if at all possible or in huge pots, if not.

They do not seem to bloom as well in pots as they do in the ground.

I adore them!

Ann

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

here is another link for the St. Josephs Lily with more information, pricing, etc. from Old House Gardens.

www.oldhousegardens.com/bulb.asp?Cat=SP

tracie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.