Yoshino cherry

(Zone 7a)

Oh wow!!! Running to the store now. Very pretty.

(Zone 7a)

I did it!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

You didn't tell me the flowers smell like almonds! Yum...

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

How sweet of you to let me know! It has been delightful corresponding with you.

Donna

(Zone 7a)

It is fun, Donna. It's nice when you find someone with the same interests. ☺

We had to clear an area for it first.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Since we didn't have the heart to cut the whole thing down, we're left with a somewhat ugly tree. She's alive and even trying to bloom. It's also the only shade on the patio until mid-afternoon. Any ideas what I can do with the ugly stump left from cutting the header? An annual vine or a container attached to the stump with a trailing annual? I don't want anything perennial planted since the tree is going to have to be replaced this fall. I'm already going to have to move all the Hostas and Lungwort growing under it. They are going to get fried soon without the shade. Any artistic suggestions would be appreciated.

Diana

Thumbnail by pastime
(Zone 7a)

I think an annual vine would be pretty there. So sorry you had to cut part of it. Maybe some pansies and dwarf sunflowers?

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Sounds good. I'm going to alsoask my DH to wrap the trunk with some black plastic mesh we have on hand and try to coax morning glories to climb.

(Zone 7a)

That'd be pretty.

(Zone 7a)

Dragging this thread out to show the beauty I purchased last year. She's blooming.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

And a close-up.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Thanks to everyone who gave advice and help.

Diana, did you get something under your tree?

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's what mine looked like last month after a late winter storm.

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
(Zone 7a)

I love the form. I was out watching petals blow off it just like in the movies.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Your flowers are exquisite. And yes, I love the form too.

Donna

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

kwanjin, your tree looks great. Can't tell if what's left of mine made it through the winter. Didn't have the heart to cut it down. Last summer it started to grow new branches on the remaining tree. I'll have to go out there a see if it's still alive. We've had a really cold, wet spring here. Only the Forsythia are blooming.

(Zone 7a)

I hope it made it. That would be sad if you lost it.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Our weird winter has slowed mine down. Don't give up hope yet.

Donna

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Is this the type of tree you see in Japanese gardens? Or maybe Washington DC? I have always admired them. I have lost several dogwood and I am wanting to try another type of tree.

(Zone 7a)

It is one you would see in a Japanese garden. I don't know what type they have in Washington, D.C. The flowers are so short-lived, they make you admire them more often. This one started blooming a couple of days before I posted on the 13th and they're alomst all gone now. I love it and it smells good, too.

What happened to your dogwoods? I have no shade for them and would love to have one or two.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I didn't have shade either and our soil is heavy clay but I tried to grow them anyway.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Michael Dirr said it's the Tidal Basin tree. So yes, it is the tree in Washington DC.

I have a dogwood too. A cornus alternifolia (pagoda dogwood). It was installed in an exposed area on the north side of our yard and declines such that it was down to one leaf. I was going to toss it. But my husband looked at that one leaf and said we should try to save it. I moved it to the south side of the house in a more protected location and it exploded. The blooms are gorgeous, the wood is gorgeous, the berries are gorgeous. I keep a soaker house under it, give it a little ironite to acidify the soil a bit, and give it pine bark mulch but that's it. It's phenomenal, and very healthy, but it does need a somewhat sheltered location.

Another of my favorites.

Perhaps you had cornus florida? I understand that they are very subject to dogwood anthracnose, and the noblest efforts on your part would not have saved them. They nee d perfect conditions and lots of care.

Donna

Donna

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Checked my Yoshino yesterday. Only the top is alive. It made it for many years. Gotta say goodbye. A Pagoda Dogwood seeded itself next to the cherry. It's a couple feet tall now. I will leave it there as a replacement.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Pastime,

I'm sorry about your Yoshino. I remember how sad we were when we came to the same conclusion about our Kwansan. But your pagoda dogwood is a great replacement. Nice plan.

Donna

(Zone 7a)

The pagodas are very pretty, too. The Kousa Dogwood is the one I want.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

The Kousas are gorgeous. They are often recommended to people who want the beauty of cornus florida with more disease resistance. Another great choice!

Donna

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I have a nice Kousa growing near my house. I look forward every year to the flowers. They last for about a month. Very slow growing though. Mine is about 15 years old. This is a picture taken last fall. They need a little protection from the elements here in Northern Illinois.

Thumbnail by pastime
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh Pastime, what a glorious picture! No one ever takes shots of it in fall. If possible, it's as impressive as it is in spring. Go with it, Kwanjin!

Donna

(Zone 7a)

I wish I had a place to shelter it. We started with nothing and the biggest trees are the neighbor's cherry and apple trees. Cherry on one side about 25' tall and apple on the other about the same height. The front is even worse. I suppose I could put one by the west fence under the apple tree. What do you think? This was taken last May. The apple tree is on the other side of the fence. Otherwise, it would be in full Utah sun of 90+ temps throughout the summer.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Mine is on the NE corner of the house protected from the west winds by the back porch. I think the main thing is to protect it from winter winds. Your fence looks like it would do the job.

(Zone 7a)

It would be protected there becuse our winds mostly come from the west and that is facing west. Hmmm...now, I'm thinking seriously. Thanks for the input.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Kwanjin,

It's great the way you are thinking this through. And Pastime, it's neat of you to give so much wonderful advice.

Donna

(Zone 7a)

So...I thought I'd share this. The tree is leafing out beautifully. Thank you, everyone, for your input. I may not have gotten this wonderful beauty w/o your help.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's so lovely. And pat yourself on the back - since you made the choice. Thank you so much for keeping us involved. It's great!

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.