Yoshino cherry

(Zone 7a)

I've been thinking of getting one of these for my yard. Anyone grow these? I would like this or another like it that will take the heat here. 90º-100º.

Kwanjin

Danville, IN

Hardy Zones 5 - 8, so should do fine for you, if it can get enough water during the hot summer days. Michael Dirr says there is a great specimen at the U. of Georgia arboretum, and that area gets plenty hot (but humid, not dry) in the summer!

(Zone 7a)

My husband waters (overwaters?) regularly. He's like clockwork when it comes to the yard. ☺ I have a JM I may lose because it 'they' said it should be in full sun. It's okay in the cold but...I get burnt leaves all summer, even with plenty of water.

Danville, IN

Move the JM before it leafs out to a more shady area. Some varieties can full sun, but probably not in you area. Also, mulch it well.

(Zone 7a)

I have no where else to put the poor thing.

The Yoshino should be okay, though? I've seen a couple around here while in flower but I don't during the summer months and don't know how they handle the heat. But if they handle Georgia heat...

(Psssst...Who's Michael Dirr?...)

Danville, IN

Could you plant the JM on the east of north side of the house or garage? Anywhere where it will get afternoon shade.

Michael Dirr is THE guru of horticulture. He's written the "horticultural bible" of shrubs and trees, his Manual of Woody Landscape Plants. Expensive, but a fantastic reference. The companion book is Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs, full of color photos. Other books include a great one on hydrangeas, and his latest on viburnums. Great Christmas or birthday presents to ask for!

If you've seen Yoshino cherries blooming, they must do fine in your area. If you have a big box store in your area, such as Lowe's, they get them in in the spring, and they're not expensive. I've even seen them at WalMart. Good luck.

(Zone 7a)

I appreciate the help. I think I'll get one. I"ve seen it at Lowe's the last few years but still wasn't sure.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I bought two at Lowe's 10 year ago. One turned out to be a double. Very interesting flower on that one. The other one is the focal point on our patio. it's almost wider than it is tall. Pretty flowers in the Spring. It was so beautiful. Unfortunately it's dying. I think it's from winter sun scalled. The bark is splitting and half of it died last spring after it flowered. These trees also gets all the other nasties that ornamentals like crababble, cherry and plums get. They are also susceptible to tent worms. I'm sick about having to cut mine down. I took a picture this morning from an upstairs window. We're still having winter weather here, hence the dead looking landscape. I'm going to see how much of it is still alive and decide whether to just cut off the dead, which is the whole right half of the tree. If it looks really stupid, we'll have to cut it down.

Thumbnail by pastime
(Zone 7a)

Oh dear. More things to think about. Sorry you're having trouble with it. How is the other doing?

Danville, IN

I have a Yoshino that I bought at Lowe's over ten years ago. It's also wider than tall, but I've never had any problem with it. Very pretty in bloom, and rather graceful in foliage. Sure wish it were double though!

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

My double is doing fine, but it has a different shape. More upright branches. It's in a rather shady area near my Japanese garden. The neighboring farmer's fence row is lined with Ash and Boxelder trees which make a lot of shade. It's good for the Japanese garden, but the double cherry could use more sun. I wish I hadn't planted it there.

(Zone 7a)

You're in the same zone. Do you get the same heat? I'm going to get this tree today, I think.

Danville, IN

Pastime, you might have bought a 'Kwansan' cherry labeled wrongly as 'Yoshino', if it's more vase-shaped. They are always double-flowered, and very full when in bloom. Great tree. Usually more expensive than 'Yoshino'!

(Zone 7a)

Ahhhhhh....Now I don't know which I want! LOL I was torn between the two.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

HoosierGreen, You're probably right. I bought the trees a year apart. Thought I was getting the same tree. That explains the different shape.

kwanjin: If you want a wide spreading tree, get the Yoshino. Because it's so wide, the bloom is beautiful (at least it used to be!) If you want really cool flowers, get the Kwansan, but it's branches don't spread out.

I just ran outside to take a picture of the Kwansan so you can see the shape. Mind you, it's over 10 years old. It leans because the neighboring trees in the fence row shade one side.

Thumbnail by pastime
(Zone 7a)

Okay. You twisted my arm and Yoshino it is. I do want the spread.

Danville, IN

Hey, just get both. They bloom at slightly different times, but overlap.

(Zone 7a)

I wish I had the room for both. I do need one in front, though. Hmm...

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Went out to check my Yoshino to see if any part of it survived. No such luck. The whole tree is dead now. I don't know how we're going to get the stump out after it's cut down. Hostas and Lungwort are under that tree too. Going to have to move lots of plants. Darn! We are going to bake on the patio this summer without that big tree.

Danville, IN

Pastime: Use some nitrogen fertilizer on the stump and large roots, or there is a special product on the market you can buy. You could also check to see if you can rent a portable stump grinder in your area. Easy to use and effective. Good luck.

(Zone 7a)

We had a stump ground out of our front yard last year. It works very well and didn't disturb the other things around it.

I'm sorry you lost your tree! That's aweful...;-(

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I'll check out the local rental place for a stump grinder. Thanks all.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I ordered Yashino cherry trees from Wayside Gardens: $150.00. The were weeping cherry trees instead. I have let them grow. This will be the third year. They are about 12 ft tall and have not bloomed yet. If they don't bloom this year, there out. I am not happy with the way they look: so sad and unhappy and wieldly.

(Zone 7a)

Ooooh! I so hate that! I have a dwarf weeping cherry. It has bloomed for the last four years. Good luck with that.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

pastime, Why don't you or your dh just cut the tree down at ground level. You can dig a little dirt out without disturbing your other plants and then cut the tree off. The fellow who works for me or I have done that with several trees that died or that were outgrowing their alloted space or other reason. None have tried to regrow and slowly disappear. And sure doesn't cost much.

Donna

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

We cut most of the tree down yesterday. Very sad! We left one big branch that was still alive and setting buds. Want to see it bloom one last time, then we'll cut it all the way down. Don't know what to put in its place. I'm a little shy about planting another ornamental or understory type tree there. My DD suggested a State Street Maple instead.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I don't know what a State Street Maple is, will it have surface rooting. Some maples are very prone to surface roots. I grow at least 10 different acers . there are a lot to choose from. Most of mine are the Japanese Maple type. Good luck.

Donna

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

State Street maple is a trademark name. It's real name is Miyabe Maple. It's smaller than other maples. I'd love to have a Japanese Maple, but that spot is too sunny and windy.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm in zone 5a and the Yoshino has been very successful for me.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

This is last year, my third.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the pics. It's beautiful. Mine hasn't been purchased yet. We've had othe issues here but I'll post when it does. (get purchased)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Just a quick note about Kwansan (Prunus serrulata Kwansan). We had one, and it's wonderful, but I found that what Michael Dirr wrote is true.

"Many cultivars (of prunus serrulata) are short lived (10 to 15 years); in recent years, 'Kwanzan' has suffered more than most. Viruses lead to gradual decline, and eventually, death."

We loved it, and I tried to protect it from viruses, but it was probably five years old when we got it. After about five years in the yard, we could spot selective branch death. The year before it died entirely it produced the most awe inspiring display of double pink flowers. But we did not want to experience that again, so got the Yoshino. One of the very cool things about it is that under the right circumstances it starts bloming very young. I put a soaker hose around it and water it once a week but that's about it. It's so gorgeous that it feel strange not to have to baby it.

Donna

(Zone 7a)

Does the Yoshino need extra protection from the sun? I'm curious because we have 8-9 hours of sun in the yard.

(someday I'll learn to spell..)

This message was edited Apr 9, 2008 7:20 AM

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

It's the winter sun and wind that hurt my tree. It was too far away from the protection of the house. It just got blasted every winter.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oddly, it needed no protection, which surprised me. It is on the northwest side of my house, which means it gets the hot afternoon sun, and our intense western winds in the winter. It has NO shelter. Where I live was once farmland. There is open space in front of it from the west.

Donna

(Zone 7a)

THAT'S what I like to hear! Thanks, Donna. And I don't forget you, Pastime! ☺

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

My pleasure. My last recommendation - go to a nursery and pick your own tree. Find a staff member with expertise to help you choose it. I've never gone wrong that way.

Donna

(Zone 7a)

They have some still at Lowe's but I'm going to go to Western Gardens. They have a better selection.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Way to go!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Found a good summer picture. This early August of last year. Yoshino is not a one trick pony!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.